Challenger's $30 Dry Box?

top up $78 get a dry cabinet for long term investment.

manual top up sillica gels + heat up sillica gels @ regular intervals VS plug to electric socket , adjust setting and forget.

See which is better for u.

The consumption of a 30l cabinet is given as 5W, 350l is stated as 10W consumption. A month has about 720h in average, do your Math whether you will notice something at the end of the year.

Even my 80l cabinet is only rated at 5watts. A computer is already drawing 500watts. Any difference??

im using a dry box + a mini dehumidifier [bought at home fix @ 2 for 32++] at the moment ...

the mini dehumidifier works like silica gel .. so when e indicator turn pink .. plug onto e main socket then charge it [i believe it heat it up to turn blue] .. then use again ... :D

but will b getting a dry cabinet sometime later .. when my dry box need 'en bloc' ..

drybox is good enough temporarily until you can upgrade to a dry-cab. mine is already getting full, seriously thinking of buying a 30L during the SAM event next weekend :) maybe i'll see TS there contemplating the same once he sees the dry-cab offerings? :bigeyes:

drybox is good enough temporarily until you can upgrade to a dry-cab. mine is already getting full, seriously thinking of buying a 30L during the SAM event next weekend :) maybe i'll see TS there contemplating the same once he sees the dry-cab offerings? :bigeyes:

Get the biggest you can afford. Even a 80l can get filled up pretty quick :bsmilie::bsmilie:
:sweat:

Even my 80l cabinet is only rated at 5watts. A computer is already drawing 500watts. Any difference??
What exactly do you ask here? The difference between 5W and 500W is obvious, although I doubt that a standard PC is really drawing 500W. The power supply might be rated for 500W maximum load, but the real consumption is usually far below.

I find the biggest drawback of dry box is the inability to set the desired humidity level when silical gel is used.

Dry cabinet is the more ideal long term solution and suggest you buy the biggest you can afford/accomodate. With electricity rating of 5W, it will cost you less than $1 a month.

Hope it helps.

I find the biggest drawback of dry box is the inability to set the desired humidity level when silical gel is used.

Dry cabinet is the more ideal long term solution and suggest you buy the biggest you can afford/accomodate. With electricity rating of 5W, it will cost you less than $1 a month.

Hope it helps.

I second this :thumbsup:
But dry cabi's prices are much much higher than a drybox. Esp if you intend to keep a couple of lenses, you'll need 60L at least.

Just go ahead and get a 80L if you can spare the cash. I cramped my 30L for years until I decided to upgrade recently. Now, my watches, 3 compacts, 5 lenses, 2 bodies, 2 flashes are all sitting prettily in my new DC. Makes sense if you have the space and the all the equipment lying around. I think I paid about $250 for it. Great investment.

What exactly do you ask here? The difference between 5W and 500W is obvious, although I doubt that a standard PC is really drawing 500W. The power supply might be rated for 500W maximum load, but the real consumption is usually far below.

trying to bring across the point that a dry cabinet does not make any difference to the total power bill as compared to a PC. :)