CF vs SD

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a question.
assuming if i take the same type of card to compare...

eg sandisk ultra II 1gb

with all things equal in type and brand...

Is the CF or SD card faster? or are they technically the same speed?
Given a choice, is SD or CF the way to go? (in the context that a camera can hold both type of cards)

thanks .

someday sd will replace cf in most applications

haagen_dazs said:
i have a question.
assuming if i take the same type of card to compare...

eg sandisk ultra II 1gb

with all things equal in type and brand...

Is the CF or SD card faster? or are they technically the same speed?
Given a choice, is SD or CF the way to go? (in the context that a camera can hold both type of cards)

thanks .

Presently, CF card faster and bigger capacity, cheaper, supported by many DSLR, leading the way.

Future, SD catching up, could be leader in near (or further) future.

Look at your current accessories, CF or SD, then decide, if you want to change or stick to the same type of cards. But ultimately, this is a small price compared to the prices of the other accessories.

so is a normal speed SD card good for most camera or advisable to get a higher speed one .. Thanks

A normal speed SD is good enough unless you have a high megapixel digicam or have a need for speed (eg. multiple shots continously).

For the general sub 6mp user, I think a normal speed one will suffice.

My 2 cts.

:D

Thanks .. so a higher speed card won't really make much diff lah ...

Depends on the usage i guess. For instance I usually fill both the CF and SD card slots on my camera so when I run out of memory i can just press a button to "reload" instead of having to change the card. The SD card runs slower by a little, but usually it's fast enough. My MkII has a pretty good buffer anyways and I don't do sports. More than sufficient for me.

Im using Lexar 80X highspeed CF and Kingston elite pro 50X SD

er ur camear can take both CF and SD card ????

yes, it's been a feature on Canon 1-series bodies ever since the MKII

oh .. never knew that .. Thanks

A Higher speed card defintely makes a difference. Esp for continuous shooting mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.