CF to PCMCIA (PC CARD) convertors

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanyewkay

Sep 22, 2004
Cons digger.
I see that these convertors are being sold relatively cheaply at $19.90 these days at sim lim and funan.

Would like to know if these are the ultra fast ones that were popular some time ago? I read the package over and over again buy doesn't state the transfer rate or how many bits transfer.

Which shop?
I went there yesterday but couldn't find one.
The faster ones are 32-bit. Just look for "32-bit" can already. About 8MB/s.

IIRC, PCMCIA is not tat fast.....even a 100mb/s Network card would not be transfering at that speed between the card and the PC......You might wanna juz get a CF card reader...or some notebook with built in CF card reader...(IBM does have that..)

Gildow said:
IIRC, PCMCIA is not tat fast.....even a 100mb/s Network card would not be transfering at that speed between the card and the PC......You might wanna juz get a CF card reader...or some notebook with built in CF card reader...(IBM does have that..)
OT: the one with the built in CF reader is the old X series, the new X Series (X40) all comes with SD reader now instead of CF

I got a el-cheapo PCMCIA card reader from Simlim some time back at 10 bucks while buying a normalspeed CF card... the transfer rate between the card-laptop improves when I am using the LEXAR 80X series, but only by marginal thou... I think SanDisk have a PCMCIA Card Reader, saw it in Funan one day... but no idea how's the performance, mabbe you could get that and share with us:D ;)

thanks guys. will check again to see if it's 32bit.

yanyewkay said:
thanks guys. will check again to see if it's 32bit.

abt $150-$200 for 32bit card bus adapter

and <$20 for 16bit

FYI, 32bit card bus is faster than firewire card reader...tried and tested

if compare firewire vs USB 2.0, firewire is very much faster too esp if you copy lots of file at one go.

too bad my ibook dun have PCMCIA adapter, else i will get a 32bit card bus adapter instead of having a firewire card reader swing around

RossChang said:
Where can you get tis?... can share a bit here?.. tq...

amazon.com....
Don't think the local agents brought this in....
Cost around S$90 to S$100....

Another one is from japan called Aska brand or something.... I got it for around S$80+ at Sim Lim Sq quite some time ago.... don't think you can find those anymore. Used it permanently on my laptop.

The lexar looks good.... maybe some CS fellow should MO it....
:)

Zplus said:
amazon.com....
Don't think the local agents brought this in....
Cost around S$90 to S$100....

Another one is from japan called Aska brand or something.... I got it for around S$80+ at Sim Lim Sq quite some time ago.... don't think you can find those anymore. Used it permanently on my laptop.

The lexar looks good.... maybe some CS fellow should MO it....
:)

For your Info, Lexar CF 32 Bit CardBus Adapter going at $79 in EastGear

cf32bit-large.jpg

Lexar’s 32-bit Card Bus reader is the perfect accessory for mobile professionals. Enables the convenient transfer of images to notebook computers, while providing high-speed data transfer rates similar to FireWire and USB 2.0 readers, 4 to 6 times faster than 16-bit PCMCIA card adaptors. Lexar’s 32-bit Card Bus reader offers support for Windows and Macintosh operating systems, extending the solution to Macintosh users for the first time.

• Supports all CompactFlash Cards Type I and II including microdrives.
  • Transfer files up 4 times faster than a standard 16-bit PC card Adapters.
  • Actual throughput may vary based on CF read/write speeds and computer configuration.
  • Compact Size fits into PC card slots without USB or Firewire cables.
  • Works with both Mac and PC laptops. (See System Requirements).
System Requirements:
  • Mac or PC with Cardbus enabled PC card slot.
  • Mac OS 10.2.7 or later.
  • Windows 2000/XP.

argh...my ibook got no PCMCIA slot..else i will surly get this instead of having a firewire reader swinging around....

Status
Not open for further replies.