CF Folder Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmic

Mar 13, 2006
Planet Earth
Hi All,

Pardon this old man's ignorant question:

I recently switched from velvia to digital, and traded my trusty A-1 for the new 30D. The manual read :"max folder number 999". I know I might never reach that, but the folder number keep increasing (from 100, 101, 102...109 etc), even after I formatted my CF card. The file number reset, but not the folder number.

Is there any way I can reset the folder number? Also, does it mean that I will have to change my CF card after it reaches 999?

Will the young and bright pls advise.

Thanks

Did you manually reset the the file numbers... if so the folders would be +1.

I tried 'em all. Auto reset, manual reset. It is only the file numbers that are reset'ed, not the folder number.:embrass:

When I got my 30D initially, I used a CF card which had higher folder and file numbers without first formatting the card. It caused my folder and file numbers to jump to some higher numbers. I used my PC together with a card reader to change the numbers to something that was closer to the original numbers (based on my latest pics at that time).

I can't remember the exact steps so you may have to experiment a bit if the steps given here are not quite correct.

To reset the folder number to 001 and to ensure that it does not increment until the number of files reachs 9999, do the following:
  1. First set the numbering method to Continous. Do this using the menu on the camera.
  2. Next, use a computer with a card reader to rename the folder on one of your CF cards so that the folder number shows "999". Be sure to change only the number.
  3. Insert this card into your camera. I can't remember whether you will get an error msg on the LCD display or not.
  4. If you do get an error msg, simply format the card using the camera and that should be it.
  5. If not, set the numbering method to Manual reset and that should do the trick.
  6. Lastly, use your computer with a card reader to format your other CF cards before using them.
  7. Note that your numbering method will still be Continous as set in step 1. Doing a "manual reset" does not change what you did in step 1.
Sorry I can't test it out on my camera as I don't want to risk messing up the numbers again.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for the advise. Will give it a try later.

btw, the number will rollover. Once it reaches the max (999), it'll start from the first number again (100?), so there's no need to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.