CF card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
will there be any problems if i format my cf card using my camera often? issit adviceable?
usually after i upload all my images into my pc, ill format the card...

IMHO, shd not be a problem
the more established brands have lifetime guarantee
(correct me if i am wrong)

hmmm i thought everytime after we transfer the files from cf to the computer,

before we begin to shoot again, it is actually adviced to use camera to format the card?

prevents error...

ya, i was thinking of that too... if shoot half way write error very sad :(
cant take any more pictures, then forced to format the card also, lose the pics that u had taken. so i think should be okay to format it often yeah? :)

My 2c worth:

CompactFlash parts are supposedly rated for 100,000 erase cycles. So even if you format ten times every day, your card should last >27 years :bsmilie:. So I think it is not much issue doing the formatting; the CF should last a long time and may even outlast the camera, heh.

Formatting the card also has the benefit of mapping out bad sectors, or so I hope. Thus it should theoretically reduce the chances of errors in writing the image while you're in action shooting. Better yet, formatting should re-layout the internal data structures on the file system so that it should give good performance when writing files. (Sort of like SCANDISK kind of action.)

yes, i agree with ah.zeep. i have heard that if u delete images using the camera, it may slow down write/read performance.
from what i understand, CF card writes in a sequence. for example, when u have taken 100 pictures, and u delete the 55th pic that has a size of 3MB. what happens is, when u take the next 1 or 2 pictures (101th/102th pic), the data will be written at the 55th pic memory sectors where u deleted. and when the 3MB is not enough, it will continue to store the remainding data at the last memory sector after the 1st 100 pic. hence, this jumbling makes read/write slower...
formatting should help to clear this problem if this is true :)

thanks for the info.

haven't been formatting the CF for months, luckily i didn't lose my pics as well :sweat:

no prob ba! i read somewhere too that should always format the card and also check all the settings too!

ah.zeep said:
My 2c worth:

CompactFlash parts are supposedly rated for 100,000 erase cycles. So even if you format ten times every day, your card should last >27 years :bsmilie:. So I think it is not much issue doing the formatting; the CF should last a long time and may even outlast the camera, heh.

Formatting the card also has the benefit of mapping out bad sectors, or so I hope. Thus it should theoretically reduce the chances of errors in writing the image while you're in action shooting. Better yet, formatting should re-layout the internal data structures on the file system so that it should give good performance when writing files. (Sort of like SCANDISK kind of action.)
That's bad sector thing while format is on the PC (or mac).

On the camera :dunno: .

IMHO, it is advisable to format new CF (or any cards) prior to first use in CAMERA. I don't thing it is necessary to format the card after anytime we download the files to PC (or mac).

Remember, the new technology may not as good as the old technology (as they want to reduce cost). I remember my boss say the new memory type for storage may have lesser lifetime than the old one. I hope he is wrong... :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

Regards,
Arto.

i think its better to format... i think its ok one...

anyway, i think its true that the files are being kept in a seq manner. and formatting it will refresh the sys info store on the CF card....

but then again, i havent heard of anyone's card spoil becos of formatting......

Artosoft said:
That's bad sector thing while format is on the PC (or mac).

On the camera :dunno: .

IMHO, it is advisable to format new CF (or any cards) prior to first use in CAMERA. I don't thing it is necessary to format the card after anytime we download the files to PC (or mac).

Remember, the new technology may not as good as the old technology (as they want to reduce cost). I remember my boss say the new memory type for storage may have lesser lifetime than the old one. I hope he is wrong... :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

Regards,
Arto.
i think (and hope) the bigger companies dun use lousier electronics components just to cut cost. i usually buy the more reputable brands of memory cards even if i have to pay a bit more. its not the lifetime warranty, many memory cards provides those. its the MEMORIES in the card

27 years of CF life, hhmmm.... I think not. Electronics parts suffers this thing call electronic decay. At most last 3-4 years, IMHO. It's unavoidable. Even CDs and DVDs don't last 100 years as claimed by some companies. At most 5 to 10 years before they are unreadable, even kept properly. And this I'm talking about those recordable/writable ones. The factory stamped type, like those u buy original should last a bit longer.

The Life warranty is based on the product warranty. Once they stop making the product, due to newer product of different technology, your warranty consider void. This Lifetime warranty is relative new and as far as I can remember started by Kingston.

So do buy new CF or any other type of memory every 2-3 years to replace the old ones. To be on the safe side.

thanks for the info! i studied electronics but have never come across electronic decay. does it applies to all electronics components?
btw, since u mention cds, whats the diff between RW cds and factory stamped type?

Recordable and Rewritable discs is recorded using lasers. Factory stamped ones is "recorded' once on a metal platter. Then plastic resin is used by stamping the metal platter on to it. Then another layer is added to protect the data side and also to label the discs. So-called the data are molded not burn. That's in laymans term.

No worries lah, it'll be ok. I used to do that on my 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB cards. All ok one :thumbsup:

_espn_ said:
No worries lah, it'll be ok. I used to do that on my 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB cards. All ok one :thumbsup:

:think: didnt know Coolpix S4 uses CF card..... :dunno:
:wink:

yup, i think so too... dont need to care too about it lah...

somehow i think electronic gadget is heng suay one...

like laptop right? someone gets 1 that have no prob for years, then some guys gets one that his hard disk crashed after a few days.

camera also wat... some ppl's work well for many many years.... some after a few shots some button cannot work liao.

heng suay....

grumpy said:
:think: didnt know Coolpix S4 uses CF card..... :dunno:
:wink:
I use my friend's dslr ma... :embrass: So I always format his :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.