CF card to Mac iBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarhigh

Aug 7, 2004
hello :D just wondering if there are any other mac users here
(surely there must be!). my baby is brand new, have been on it for about 2 months but have only just started trying to transfer photos from my CF card directly to my mac via an external usb2.0 card reader but the iBook simply refuses to :\ keeps telling me my files are corrupt. I tried using both the drive mode to transfer (just open the EOS DIGITAL drive that pops up on desktop) and using iphoto. neither works so i had to resort to downloading onto my pc and then burning a cd and transferring it to my mac. Anyone else has this problem? or is it only unique to me? (can't be though :p i tried on my friend's mac too, does work! ugh)

hope to hear from other mackies soon :D

-jiahui

i have no problems transfering images from my D70 to my ibook..

just remember to set ur D70 to PTP mode in the set up mode..

PTP mode? hm i usually take out the CF card from my 300D ( :D not nikon user--yet :p ) and stick it in a card reader and then stick it in my mac through the usb2.0 port. is there an equivalent that i must do on the 300D for the pictures of the CF card to register on my mac?

yoyoyo...i have no such issue with my ibook old or new...i think...check the USB port like testing it using other devices, it could be slightly faulty?!

hm USB port's perfectly fine haha all other devices work. it recognizes the card reader and shows me the contents of the CF card, i just can't transfer the contents :\ the error message says that the picture files are corrupt :) hee

heh while we're on this i might as well ask, is there a simple photo batch-resizing freeware available for mac anywhere for download? :)

Hm mine wasn't even raw files :D just large jpegs :\ i'll try formatting the CF card and see how it goes. iphoto on my ibook should be the latest version seeing as i only got it 2 mths ago and have been doing software updates. thanks very much for all the help!

Dude, Maybe your CF card reader in Not really MAC compatible??

Face the same problem with my 350D and Imac G5 same message.
Went down to apple center:: cos i21 was closed on Christmast day. Staff there told me their technical counter is closed, asked the sales guys none wanted to help.
Previously called apple technical support, was told that card reader may not be compatible.
So asked if apple center could let me test one of their compatible card readers: So sorry all are for sale only!

So waited second day, went back to i21, asked the same guy who sold me the comp, found out my Scandisk UltraII 1G card is on FAT16 format, needed to reformat it to FAT32 or MS file system format. I have no time to try it yet, but to the threadstarter hope it helps. YOu gotta do it from the comp not on your camera, cos i've tried it already and the same error message appears when i reformated the card on my 350D

Tested with a normal PC, no such problem in reading the photos.

Before going down to the service centre may u can try repairing disk permissions??
It may work.
Go to applications-->ultilities-->Disk ultilities--> REpair disk permissions
Sorry if abit inaccurate, my mac not with me now.

Tried the repair disk permission too, CF card err msg shown on camera after doing it.
Borrowed another CF card reader from a friend who bought it at apple center for ~80bucks, wa la!!! can import photos, no more unreadable file/corrupted file msg appear.

Hope it helps!!

Batch resize for mac - i think the most elegant is photodrop.
http://www.aramk.net/photodrop/

Use it to make these little 'droplets' that you can leave in your dock.. I make one with max width 700 for web display of my pictures.. then can just drop one photo, or a few, or even an entire folder onto it..

Just remember to always duplicate a copy for batch resize, cos it resizes the originals..

Hrm you still having problems with your cf card reader? I usually just hook up my camera to my mac and import using Image Capture. The cf card reader you borrowed from your friend is USB or firewire?

If you're tried it on a friend's Mac and it works, then the issue probably lies your Mac.

Have you tried creating a new admin user account, logging into that and see if it works?

I've encountered this before, and there are 2 reasons for the error you encountered:
1) CF card reader is not Mac compatible
Fix: Sorry, you may need to buy a new mac compatible card reader. I have a usb thumbdrive like that too, but it will work about 40% of the time so if I really have to use it I'll plug and unplug it a few times until it works.

2) CF card was formatted on the PC and not in the camera
Fix: Re-format the card in the camera. This will ensure that it is readable both on the PC and on the Mac.

skinnylatte said:
Batch resize for mac - i think the most elegant is photodrop.
http://www.aramk.net/photodrop/

Use it to make these little 'droplets' that you can leave in your dock.. I make one with max width 700 for web display of my pictures.. then can just drop one photo, or a few, or even an entire folder onto it..

Just remember to always duplicate a copy for batch resize, cos it resizes the originals..

Hrm you still having problems with your cf card reader? I usually just hook up my camera to my mac and import using Image Capture. The cf card reader you borrowed from your friend is USB or firewire?

Hi the cf card reader is USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.