CF Card Probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jOhO

Apr 20, 2003
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
yo all,

i recently bought a lexar 1gb 40x (the WA) one, and already have a 512mb transcend from a while back.

thing is, i also recently bought a USB2 pcmcia card for me computer (i use a laptop) so that i can do downloads faster, and also a usb2 card reader.

ok here's the problem, when i use the usb2 card reader with me transcend, i have no problems, copying, writing, plug the card in and out, and when i put it in the cam (s2), i can use it. however, with the lexar, i can do the same in the card reader, but when i plug it out (even using the "eject" command) of the card reader into the cam, it says card not initialized, and i'm unable to format it with the cam (or i dunno how, none of the buttons seem to work)

now the jumpshot card reader that comes with the lexar card works fine, the card is useable in the cam after using that reader.

getting a little irritated with something this minor. obiously i'd like to use my usb2 adaptor and card reader since it's SO MUCH FASTER.... :sweat: :sweat:

anyone have this experience or have any idea wat i'm talking about? helpppp~~~ :cry:

actually, the bottle neck is in the card, so the download speed for USB 2 and 1 card readers doesn't really differ that much. Well at least for me they don't :D

Maybe Lexar's WA technology requires it's own drive to initialise like some of the creative MP3 players. Does the manual state anything? I don't own one so I can't help you out. :embrass:

jOhO said:
yo all,

i recently bought a lexar 1gb 40x (the WA) one, and already have a 512mb transcend from a while back.

thing is, i also recently bought a USB2 pcmcia card for me computer (i use a laptop) so that i can do downloads faster, and also a usb2 card reader.

ok here's the problem, when i use the usb2 card reader with me transcend, i have no problems, copying, writing, plug the card in and out, and when i put it in the cam (s2), i can use it. however, with the lexar, i can do the same in the card reader, but when i plug it out (even using the "eject" command) of the card reader into the cam, it says card not initialized, and i'm unable to format it with the cam (or i dunno how, none of the buttons seem to work)

now the jumpshot card reader that comes with the lexar card works fine, the card is useable in the cam after using that reader.

getting a little irritated with something this minor. obiously i'd like to use my usb2 adaptor and card reader since it's SO MUCH FASTER.... :sweat: :sweat:

anyone have this experience or have any idea wat i'm talking about? helpppp~~~ :cry:

Think you should just stick to the lexar card reader when u use the lexar card. When I tried to use a Sandisk on the jumpshot, the card reader could open the card but when tried to copy the file from it, had soem problems.

Maybe its an issue of compatibility etc.

:rolleyes:

The supplied Lexar Jumpshot Card Reader can be used for all CF cards for read/write, including Lexar. The reader however, is only USB1.1 compatible.

One should not have problems using the card reader to read/write any CF1/CF2. I've personally used Lexar CF1/CF2, Transcend CF1, Hitachi MD CF2 and Hagiwara CF1 with no problems at all.

I have also used Lexar CF1/CF2 cards on a variety of card readers with no problems in read/write either.

IMO, I think it's more of the compatibility of the new adapter/reader more than the card itself, though it cannot be dismissed that the card might have compatibility issues too. There could be some other factors that contribute to the problem too. Will need more facts for investigation. :)

Some explanations on the software, all image recovery and related functions can only be done on this card reader with the supplied software. And Image Rescue software can only be used exclusively on a Lexar card.

However, Lexar will introduce 2 new card readers (USB2.0/FW1394) and a new version of Image Rescue software that will work on ALL CF cards, regardless Lexar or not.

Have not tried Lexar on USB2 PCMCIA adapter though, maybe I should get one and try try. :)

HB: Lexar cards don't need its own drive to initialise the card, any device that can read the card should be able to format/initialise it, I've even tried to format the card on a Muvo and it works!

jOhO: what OS are you using? XP Home/Pro?

AJ23 said:
:rolleyes:

The supplied Lexar Jumpshot Card Reader can be used for all CF cards for read/write, including Lexar. The reader however, is only USB1.1 compatible.

One should not have problems using the card reader to read/write any CF1/CF2. I've personally used Lexar CF1/CF2, Transcend CF1, Hitachi MD CF2 and Hagiwara CF1 with no problems at all.

Tried using the Sandisk with the supplies jumpshot. Did not work. Can't be the problem with the card reader cos it works fine with the Lexar.

AJ23 said:
Some explanations on the software, all image recovery and related functions can only be done on this card reader with the supplied software. And Image Rescue software can only be used exclusively on a Lexar card.

Donnoe about others but the image rescue software does work on my 'hot-reader' USB 2.0 card reader. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.