CF Card problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Some of the photos inside my cf card cannot be viewed in the camera (D70). It just appeared as a small red box in the center with a cross. When I tried to view the content of my CF card using my comp, there are many subfolders in it. The files inside subfolders have a .if extension. Some of the photo also have weird filesize information, coming to >200mb. Any idea is this a cf card problem or a camera problem?

Just to add, sometimes I will get a CHA error when I insert the card. Need to insert a few times then can work.

Anyone encountered similar problem? Not sure whether to send camera to Nikon Service Center or to bring the Kingston card to Convergent. Please advise. Thanks.

Have you tried with another CF card? does it still give you the same problem?
I think what you can do is to do a full format on your CF card using your computer. If the problem still exist, then you might want to check the CF pin contacts.

you mean you already see the "empty box with a cross" image while viewing directly from camera? if so, there could be an error on the file(s).

you mean you already see the "empty box with a cross" image while viewing directly from camera? if so, there could be an error on the file(s).

Yes. There are also many weird subfolders inside my card.

Have you tried with another CF card? does it still give you the same problem?
I think what you can do is to do a full format on your CF card using your computer. If the problem still exist, then you might want to check the CF pin contacts.

First time encountering this. Have not tried with another card yet.

Done any formats on the card?

Each time you use the card on a different camera, each camera will set a new folder for it's own usage. And if you dun have the habit of formatting the camera, it may get more and more data there (although they are neglible)

Do a full format using your camera regularly.

I think should be the CF card problem
Try with another CF card or
format the card you're using now and try it again

Done any formats on the card?

Each time you use the card on a different camera, each camera will set a new folder for it's own usage. And if you dun have the habit of formatting the camera, it may get more and more data there (although they are neglible)

Do a full format using your camera regularly.

Yes. I formatted my card quite regularly.

I think problem quite inconsistent because it is not affecting all the files. If I format it now, I will not be able to recover my data and it will be difficult for the vendor to diagnose the problem.

Some of the photos inside my cf card cannot be viewed in the camera (D70). It just appeared as a small red box in the center with a cross. When I tried to view the content of my CF card using my comp, there are many subfolders in it. The files inside subfolders have a .if extension. Some of the photo also have weird filesize information, coming to >200mb. Any idea is this a cf card problem or a camera problem?

For those photos which you mentioned that you cannot view on the camera, are you able to view them on the computer ? Also have you edited those photos before on the computer ? Usually photos which are modified on the computer cannot be viewed on the camera again.

For those photos which you mentioned that you cannot view on the camera, are you able to view them on the computer ? Also have you edited those photos before on the computer ? Usually photos which are modified on the computer cannot be viewed on the camera again.

Nope. Cannot view on my comp too. It has a weird file size of >200mb which is quite impossible.

time to change a CF card ya..

not worth it to save a few bucks and waste the Shots...

hi i had that almost exact problems too with the d70s.

What happened to me was that when i was viewing the pictures in the d70s itself, i was scrolling fast and zooming in to every individual picture to check sharpess even faster. My definition on zooming in to every picture is when you are very comfortable with your camera and you can even press all the placement of the buttons when closing your eyes.

I observed that when doing this 'method', the d70/s is unable to take it and it lags, causing the images to be corrupted.If you are lucky, only some are affected, if not more than half of it would be gone. When transferring to the computer, it would state prarmeters incorrect and till today i dont know what it means.

I think this affects the d70 and d70s and the d100 because all of its system seemsto be the same.

This happened to me more than thrice on seperate occasions. What i did to counter this glitch is that i formatted the CF card after every alternate use, and when it comes to viewing the pictures, view it slowly, especially when zooming in. Let there be half a second between the original size of the image and the Zoomed in image.

I never have this problem after that. It is more of the camera problem i presume. I might be wrong so dont smash me. i hope i help.

hi i had that almost exact problems too with the d70s.

What happened to me was that when i was viewing the pictures in the d70s itself, i was scrolling fast and zooming in to every individual picture to check sharpess even faster. My definition on zooming in to every picture is when you are very comfortable with your camera and you can even press all the placement of the buttons when closing your eyes.

I observed that when doing this 'method', the d70/s is unable to take it and it lags, causing the images to be corrupted.If you are lucky, only some are affected, if not more than half of it would be gone. When transferring to the computer, it would state prarmeters incorrect and till today i dont know what it means.

I think this affects the d70 and d70s and the d100 because all of its system seemsto be the same.

This happened to me more than thrice on seperate occasions. What i did to counter this glitch is that i formatted the CF card after every alternate use, and when it comes to viewing the pictures, view it slowly, especially when zooming in. Let there be half a second between the original size of the image and the Zoomed in image.

I never have this problem after that. It is more of the camera problem i presume. I might be wrong so dont smash me. i hope i help.

Thanks. I probably be sending in the camera for a check as well because I am getting this "CHA" code on the LCD screen from time to time after I insert the CF card.

hmm what is CHA on the Lcd creen? or isit the top part of the screen

Thanks. I probably be sending in the camera for a check as well because I am getting this "CHA" code on the LCD screen from time to time after I insert the CF card.

There is a known problem with the D70 & D70s. The exhibition of "CHA" stems from a faulty PCB board in the camera. I had mine replaced on my previous D70 and my current D70s.
Make sure you insist that Nikon waivers the charges as this is a camera fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.