CF Card for Eos400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
hey guys, i'm currently using a 2gb sandisk ultraII on my Eos400d, will be starting to take photos in raw format soon, and find tha a 2gb card will be insufficient, is kingston CF cards recommended?

Dont wish to spend alot on CF cards, but how much is a Kingston 133x ultimate CF compared with the Sandisk Ultra II?

I would stick to Sandisk. I have two Sandisk Ultra II 2GB cards, which total to about 450-500 RAW (RAW only, not RAW + any JPG) shots, and I find them good enough.

Then again, I'm on a 8MP machine (30D), while 400D is a 10MP machine, so file sizes will vary.

I would stick to Sandisk. I have two Sandisk Ultra II 2GB cards, which total to about 450-500 RAW (RAW only, not RAW + any JPG) shots, and I find them good enough.

Then again, I'm on a 8MP machine (30D), while 400D is a 10MP machine, so file sizes will vary.
yup .. found a portable device with 2.5" harddisk that can backup your CF with 4xAA bty that cost $30+ (casing only) on the field, with 80GB harddisk in it ... one don't really need a big & expensive CF anymore .. even for a long trip ..

hey guys, i'm currently using a 2gb sandisk ultraII on my Eos400d, will be starting to take photos in raw format soon, and find tha a 2gb card will be insufficient, is kingston CF cards recommended?

Dont wish to spend alot on CF cards, but how much is a Kingston 133x ultimate CF compared with the Sandisk Ultra II?

Sandisk ultra2 writes at 4MB/s only....very slow. I will get the extreme III at least. Write speed at 20MB/s.

Sandisk ultra2 writes at 4MB/s only....very slow. I will get the extreme III at least. Write speed at 20MB/s.

Do you really need that speed for 400D?

actually. you can buy 2 2gb cards, and 1 portable hdd with the transfer capability.

when one card if full, just take it out and transfer.

this way. its never out of cards because you have at least 40gb of space for you to trigger happy. :bsmilie:

40gb + 2x 2gb, thats 44gb. (i know its a unlucky number, but well.. u have 44gb of shooting capacity. :thumbsup: :bsmilie: )

Do you really need that speed for 400D?

Hi all,

I am a 400D user too, Ultra II is not bad when you do not shoot fast, in fact its good enough.

However when you are doing multiple shots and rapid firing you will learn to love the extreme III it's really paying a little more but getting much faster speed esp when taking RAW.

Regards

anyone can confirm aprrox how many raw+jpeg can a 2gb card hold? and how many raw it can hold..
Thanks..

anyone can confirm aprrox how many raw+jpeg can a 2gb card hold? and how many raw it can hold..
Thanks..

YMMV.

Sometimes my card says it can hold 198 RAW files, but after shooting for awhile, suddenly the number jumps to 245. It depends on individual file sizes; some may be bigger/smaller than others.

hmm okie, i think i get the rough figure, guess i'll get another 2gb sd card..
Thanks =)

hmm okie, i think i get the rough figure, guess i'll get another 2gb sd card..
Thanks =)

Why would you be getting a SD card for your 400D?

Another (do correct me if i'm wrong) point of bottleneck is the camera - How fast can the camera write?

Having an Extreme III / IV is an overkill if the bottleneck is the camera.

Another (do correct me if i'm wrong) point of bottleneck is the camera - How fast can the camera write?

Having an Extreme III / IV is an overkill if the bottleneck is the camera.

It will depend on the camera buffer. For instance, a 300D has a much smaller buffer compared to the 400D.

so for 300D camera writing speed, which CF card is optimal (fastest possible without overkill)?

so for 300D camera writing speed, which CF card is optimal (fastest possible without overkill)?

I don't know as I don't have a large enough assortment of cards to try, nor do I own a 300D.

It will depend on the camera buffer. For instance, a 300D has a much smaller buffer compared to the 400D.

The buffer is a temporary memory used to store the images before being written to the CF. A bigger buffer will allow you to burst longer before the cam starts to slow down. It doesn't tell you anything about the write speed...

I saw a website that tested different sandisk CF with a 30d... there was a jump in performance from the ultra II to the extreme III but little to no gain in performance from extreme III to extreme IV

Status
Not open for further replies.