CF card for Canon 300D

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronKong

Feb 23, 2004
West
Hi,

Currently using a slow 512MB CF card. I shout in JPEG with the highest resloution. It take about 2-3 second to write to the CF card. Cannot click again until finished writing. Thinking of buying a Lexar 40X WA CF card. But not sure whether will it help much because afraid that the bottleneck lies with the camera or camera firmware. Appreciate if anyone can help.

Thanks

If I remember correctly, the Write Acceleration feature on the Lexar cards are not supported by the 300D...For times when I need performance, I will use my 256 MB Ultra II or the 512 MB Extreme...both performs pretty well..:) The new SanDisk 512 MB cards are also not bad..:) But I think a Kingston 40x card should outperform it and it's almost the same price or cheaper..:)

Have tested 300D with Scandisk normal 20x and sandisk ultra II 64x, it did improve on writing speed but the improvement is little. Bottle neck lies with the i/o of the cam.

So I guess no point spending money on a fast CF card since the improvement in minimum. :(

looking at the figures for 300d from the CF database, it's not really worth the premium to buy the fast CFs. A "slow" kingston is about 998kb/s while a "top-end" lexar 80x is about 1200kb/s.. for that 20% more in performance, you pay almost 100% more (for the 512kb one). worth it? if you really need that speed.

Since the raw files take about 2-3s, I guess you save maybe 1/2 sec with the fastest cards.

chaotic said:
looking at the figures for 300d from the CF database, it's not really worth the premium to buy the fast CFs. A "slow" kingston is about 998kb/s while a "top-end" lexar 80x is about 1200kb/s.. for that 20% more in performance, you pay almost 100% more (for the 512kb one). worth it? if you really need that speed.

Since the raw files take about 2-3s, I guess you save maybe 1/2 sec with the fastest cards.

actually, it does matter, esp when u need to download the pics later. true, 300D dun support WA technology. however, the faster write speeds (whether lexar or sandisk) ensures that your shooting lag time is cut to the minimum. i used a silicon power 30x 256MB CF card b4. even at the so-called 30x, the write speeds are not as fast as my current 40x lexar WA. my opinion is that every little bit of speed u can squeeze out helps.

of the 2, sandisk Ultra II cost more than lexar WA 40x. u dun need to go for the more expensive 80x. 40x will do just nice. also, try to get 1GB CF instead of the 512MB. the price difference is not dat much. and a 512MB card will fill up pretty fast. 1GB CF card gives u ~130-150 RAW files on a 300D (depending on the settings). the last time i checked, 1GB lexar 40x is going for $350+.

IronKong said:
Hi,

Currently using a slow 512MB CF card. I shout in JPEG with the highest resloution. It take about 2-3 second to write to the CF card. Cannot click again until finished writing. Thinking of buying a Lexar 40X WA CF card. But not sure whether will it help much because afraid that the bottleneck lies with the camera or camera firmware. Appreciate if anyone can help.

Thanks
are you sure it takes 2-3 secs to write for large jpeg? for me, the only real slow down is when i shoot at burst >4 shots (when the buffer is up) or when the card is >60% full. I'm using a normal hagiwara (i think it's 30x) and shoot only in large jpeg.

I am using the normal Hagiwara 512MB CF card (check their Jap website, I think it approx. 10X speed) shooting firework in blub mode at ISO100 in large JPEG. If the file is 2.5MB it should take about 2 sec. to complete the writing, so I guess it should be normal. Just get furstrated that cannot click again until it has finish writing. Firework is very brief.....

hey man.. unless u got too much $$$ to burn for the lexar WA cards... I would recommend sandisk ULTRA II 512 or 1 GB cards... those are fast enough and can download very quickly into my comp.

u can also can consider transcend or kingston... both are fine as well! :thumbsup:

i am using the sandisk ultra 2 cf.....the speed is great....on my d70 the writing speed is negligable for large format jpeg and less than 1 sec for raw....

Just a quick question. After taking one shot you cannot take again? There's no storage buffer on the camera? :dunno:

espn said:
Just a quick question. After taking one shot you cannot take again? There's no storage buffer on the camera? :dunno:

i was thinking of this when i was going thru the thread too...

300D has a buffer system which allows u to take mutilple shots consecutively.
Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.