CF Card for 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

pckee

Nov 22, 2007
AMK
www.flickr.com
There are many types, brands, speeds of CF card available in the market. I am more interested
scandisk and kingston.

1.What is the Speed diff between 133x with Ultra or Ultimate?
2.For 400D user, which is the speed that is maximized on the body?
3.Or any recommendation?

Pls advice. ;p

how much u willing to spend on the CF ?

Sandisk extreme III 4gb - SGD120.
Sandisk extreme IV 4gb - i think SGD180++

I'm using 400D also, but not sure what is the max speed the camera writes onto the CF

Never heard of scandisk. :bsmilie:

I use Sandisk cards. I have two Ultra II 2GB and one Extreme III 4GB cards. All of them are functioning very well.

Most of the time, the speed of the card will only affect how fast the card writes to the computer, not how fast the camera writes to the card.

I use Sandisk cards. I have two Ultra II 2GB and one Extreme III 4GB cards. All of them are functioning very well.

Most of the time, the speed of the card will only affect how fast the card writes to the computer, not how fast the camera writes to the card.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:Sorry for my bad english.

Hmm.....so its actually depending on how fast it transfer pic to computer lo.......thanks for clearing my doubt.

That’s because only SanDisk Extreme III memory cards feature innovative ESP Technology for the fastest speeds and highest performance. ESP stands for “Enhanced Super-Parallel Processing”. Simply put, it means you are getting the fastest read/write speeds available – an amazing minimum 20MB per second** sequential read and write speed – speed you’ll definitely appreciate whenever you find yourself shooting and storing pictures in harsh environments, extreme temperatures or at high altitudes.
Extracted from http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1027)-SanDisk_Extreme_III_CompactFlash.aspx

Correct me if i'm wrong, but both read/write speeds are increased. That means, the camera is able to write the photos faster to the CF card. You are also able to extract the photos faster from the CF card.

i learn quite a painful lesson about CF cards on dlsr.

DONT SCRIMP ON THEM!

new year fireworks, 6sec exposure and the Fkin writing so slow i miss dunno how many shots.....now im just saving up for a better card to avoid these stupid things

oh ya, and get more batts for your dslr incase u run out after taking 6 shots of fireworks...(me again)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but both read/write speeds are increased. That means, the camera is able to write the photos faster to the CF card. You are also able to extract the photos faster from the CF card.

Yeah but so what if the write speed on the card is improved? The camera can only write out at a certain speed, above which there will be no notable increase in speed, regardless of card used.

Kingston Ultimate II 266x is a bargain at $100.10 only at SLS.

I'm using Sandisk Ultra II 2GB for my 400D, and it can take 27 shots continuously (JPEG Large) at 3fps before slowing down.

I suggest getting a faster card ONLY if u shoot more than that amount continuously, or if u shoot RAW continuously.

Frankly, besides for testing purposes, i have not maxed out the read/write for my 400D.

Hope this helps!

I am using 400D with SanDisk Extreme IV 8.0GB (at $295 during last PC show) and they well with each other :) Recent ask and was told it cost about $280 liao just for your info............

Depends what you do lors.

1)Overseas trip, architecture, portraits, furniture, non moving stuff,

2)Moving people, Animals, pets, boats, events (parade, concert etc)

400D is not that fast a camera , so an Ultra II will do (thats what I use), I have a piece of 2gb(free) and 2 pieces of 4 gb.

Number one no need such a fast card because you dont have to burst, number two a reasonably fast card can.

A friend who owns the 400D once mentioned to another photographer, "anything faster than Ultra II is overkill already". Must have been something to do with the write speed of the camera.

hmm calebk, was thinking of buying another 1-2 more CF leh, but since u say like that, i think stick to Ultra II 4 gb...

currently have 2gb ultra II and 4gb extreme III

haha how abt finding out the technical specs of the DSLRs.
if the write speed of the DSLR is not the limiting factor, then the CF cards will ultimately decide the speed at it is being written.
but that being said there's a reason for the manufacturers to come out with different CF cards with different speeds right?
unless it's just a pure marketing gimmick...

I believe the camera manufacturers dun publish or even rate the speeds of their cameras. there's a website that shows the write/read speed of certain canon cams. u gotta search for it using the CS search engine. but they have 350d and 30d. latest cams are not tested. but u can have a rough gauge. i think an Ultra II is fast enough for a 400d already. bigger the CF size, the speed kinda slows down too.

haha how abt finding out the technical specs of the DSLRs.
if the write speed of the DSLR is not the limiting factor, then the CF cards will ultimately decide the speed at it is being written.
but that being said there's a reason for the manufacturers to come out with different CF cards with different speeds right?
unless it's just a pure marketing gimmick...

There is also a reason why different camera makers make high-res cameras. The reason why there are faster cards is for faster cameras, where camera write speed is limited by a slower card.

I have a reference article on camera write speeds by Rob Gailbraith, but it doesn't cover the 400D...:think:

Can 400D use the 4GB card? I thought anything bigger than 2GB cannot be used cos the cam cannot access due to FAT32 issue?

Can 400D use the 4GB card? I thought anything bigger than 2GB cannot be used cos the cam cannot access due to FAT32 issue?

Im using 4gb card ULTRA II

i have/use extreme III 4gb

I use a Kingston Ultimate 133X 4GB.... $80++. Works fine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.