CF Card error

one35th

Mar 26, 2010
Hi All,

I have a SanDisk CF Card Extreme 60MB/S 16GB.

Just back from holiday, and all the photos not able to recovered, always prone for re-formatting.

It was during a file transfer to the laptop that the error occurred, and that's it !

Purchase the LC-tech rescuePro software, and still unable to preview all photos.

Anyway can help and advise ?

Thank you very much and appreciate all help.

regards,
james

I hope you copy-and-pasted the files rather than cut-and-paste, otherwise professional data recovery will be quite costly.

If the files are still in your CF card there is still hope; what are you using to transfer data? Direct USB from camera or a CF card reader? Do bear in mind that using an unreliable card reader will lead to a whole host of problems, best is to stick to the reputable brands like Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston...

Hi James,

Very likely the FAT table corrupted.

I have hit this misfortune problem before when I used the card reader VIA a unreliable USB port on the notebook.

If you need helped on recovery, you can PM me and I'll see if I can help, but no guarantee 100% recovery as some pics might be corrupted.

What the chances for something like that to happen to a CF card? Will the age / heavy usage of the card be one of the contributing factors?

What the chances for something like that to happen to a CF card? Will the age / heavy usage of the card be one of the contributing factors?
Age and heavy usage will get you to the write limit faster.
Corruption of FAT is a problem since M$ came up with that file system (or did they 'copy' it also?). One can prevent problems by frequently reformatting the card, thus forcing a new writing of FAT and the cluster structure. Use your computer and make sure that in Windows the option "Quick Format" is disabled. Cards of 4GB and above will get formatted in FAT32.
Other ideas: Switch off the cam before taking out the card (to make sure there is really no write process). Newer cams will have a warning function. Use a quality card reader (same brand). Unmount the card from PC using the respective function, don't just pull the USB plug. I read somewhere that one should not fill the card up to the last picture. Can't find the source right now. Once I did it without having problems, though.

Purchase the LC-tech rescuePro software, and still unable to preview all photos.
Anyway can help and advise ?

Search the forum for 'data recovery' plenty of similar threads, you are not alone.
Do not try to recover the files and then try to check the preview images with camera. Copy data to a different storage (HDD, USB) and check them there. Once you have recovered all images use the camera or PC to reformat the entire card.