Certs / Proficiency Titles in Photography (from Phtovivo & PSS)

rickosw

Apr 15, 2009
Hi all,

i came across two diff type of proficiency tests in Photography

1) PSS Distinctions
2) photo_vivo Distinctions

And i have a few questions to ask ...

Q1) what are the main key difference between the titles given by the 2 different society (ie LPVS vs LPSS) or they are just the same thing
Q2) which one has more prestige ? any reason? which school /one more popular?
Q3) If i am really confident can i skip LPVS/LPSS and advance straight into the next level - APVS/APSS ?
Q4) do singaporeans really use these titles often? or more for wayang / real professional/
Q5) can anyone who pass these exams please explain to me in more detail as what type of photos I'm expected to produce
Q6) how about / who i can approach to see / least grade my pics before i send them for grading ?
Q7) what happens if you fail / can you retake again? any limits to the number of times you fail? if your pics are not good, will the judges tell you, your mistakes?

Many thanks for reading my questions and i look forward to your comments!

Cheers!

I think it's just a big money-making machine for them, appealing to the "die die must have cert/piece of paper" mentality of Singaporeans.

In the end, portfolio matters more than any cert.

Check the big names and artists in photography.. do they state any kind of degree / cert? But one can read for which well known magazines, customers and events they have worked.

Hi all,

i came across two diff type of proficiency tests in Photography

1) PSS Distinctions
2) photo_vivo Distinctions

And i have a few questions to ask ...

Q1) what are the main key difference between the titles given by the 2 different society (ie LPVS vs LPSS) or they are just the same thing
Q2) which one has more prestige ? any reason? which school /one more popular?
Q3) If i am really confident can i skip LPVS/LPSS and advance straight into the next level - APVS/APSS ?
Q4) do singaporeans really use these titles often? or more for wayang / real professional/
Q5) can anyone who pass these exams please explain to me in more detail as what type of photos I'm expected to produce
Q6) how about / who i can approach to see / least grade my pics before i send them for grading ?
Q7) what happens if you fail / can you retake again? any limits to the number of times you fail? if your pics are not good, will the judges tell you, your mistakes?

Many thanks for reading my questions and i look forward to your comments!

Cheers!
I don't have title from these two.
base on my limited knowledge,
you can't jump straight to next level, you can only go one step at a time, unless they find your work is too good, may recommend you to go for next level panel judging.
you need to approach the association to find out how the way they work, seek a mentor from there, he will guild you along.

and when you see a doctor, you don't see how many cert he has, but see how many patient he had helped, and of course, he also need all the certs to practice his business.

tho these cert will not bring you any customers, or help you to do the shoot, but it does show how commented you are into the trade, and you are an expert in this area.

hope this help to explain a little of what is the use of these certs.

In the end, portfolio matters more than any cert.

Agreed, but that's the not really the end yet.

In the end, connections and marketing abilities matters more than any portfolio.

Am sure you seen many successfully ordinary portfolios.

After local certs, then got overseas certs like MPA and WPPI.