Certificate for Photography and Arts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
It made me wonder for a very long time....

My friend recently was about to get married and as I'd said (as usual), "If u need photographer find me lah."
To my horror, the first words out of her mouth were like, "You got certificate or not?"

Ok, being a self-taught photographer with the help of you guys and my Master, me dun have any certs. But it made me wonder...

"Has our paper chase gone into a new frenzy where even the most subjective and controversial subject in the world (ie, Art, which Photography is also a part of it) requires a Paper to show that you are really good and not excellent pictures?" :eek:

Astin said:
Just wondering, did she mean "Certificate of Marriage"?
If dat's the case, den I can't do any wedding photography for ppl liaoz.... :(

Bachelor for life... ;p

jsbn said:
If dat's the case, den I can't do any wedding photography for ppl liaoz.... :(

Bachelor for life... ;p

Well done

i think she was juz retorting/teasing u jokingly since u were thick-skinned enough to offer your services. Hehe

Well, its the same with at least 4 to 5 other people!

Perhaps its just the ppl around me who are more paper conscious. :think:

jsbn said:
Well, its the same with at least 4 to 5 other people!

Perhaps its just the ppl around me who are more paper conscious. :think:
maybe, but I think this is much more of a norm than an exception.

Unfortunately, actual skills and experience do not count that much here in Singapore, that piece of paper rules. Right now, I am fighting with my company's HR, I need to hire someone, I want to make the offer to someone who had over 12 years of revelent experience, but not the right university credential. who cares what the degree is! As long as the person can add value, right? I have a sick feeling in my stomache that I will end up with someone I need to spend too much time to train!

Sion said:
I could print you a certificate of photography with my Canon printer if that pleases your friend.

How big you want it to be?
I juz go over to Techmage's and den pay abit to print out 1 huge poster on his wide format printer. :D
Lagi shiok.

Yah... I think I'll need ur chop. BIG BIG. U got one that requires 2 hands to lift up and a 10kg force to chop? :D

Deadpoet said:
maybe, but I think this is much more of a norm than an exception.

Unfortunately, actual skills and experience do not count that much here in Singapore, that piece of paper rules. Right now, I am fighting with my company's HR, I need to hire someone, I want to make the offer to someone who had over 12 years of revelent experience, but not the right university credential. who cares what the degree is! As long as the person can add value, right? I have a sick feeling in my stomache that I will end up with someone I need to spend too much time to train!
Welcome to Singapore where paper's worth more then battle experience.

The sick feeling in ur gut will prolly come true.

Sion said:
No lah. People will laugh one.

The certificate will be signed by The Master: Henri Cartier-Bresson. We'll scan his signature and insert it in the certificate. :sweatsm:
Before u do any printing, I would like to know whether u got the Certificate of Printing or not?

Sion said:
Before you post such a question, may we see your "Certificate of Posting in Kopitiam"? :sweatsm:
wah u win liao :bsmilie:

I pity you for having this kind of friend.
Maybe she only want to know if you have win any awards? Will showing her your works be good enough? If you have nothing to show, how can she judge whether to let you handle her once in a lifetime event? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.