Centralised thread for backpacking photographers (02)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agreeded with your observations. In Singapore, I saw everyone put their house key. car key, cellphone, mp3 player on the table at hawker centre. Some wag even left their bag and go to order their food.

Even in prosperous neighboring country up north, people do not do that.

This habit got to change when Singaporeans step out of the comfort of their border.

As for travelling and home habits, it goes the same for us.. What you could expect in other countries and back at your own is a totally different ball game.

When I was in Singapore recently, I saw cell phones, PDAs, keys, CAMERAS (bag & everything:dunno: ) etc left unattended on tables in food establishments. Well, you are right, need to be careful in this area..

okie, i think i need to add to this thread. I am in Laos now, but unfortunately something terrible happened. My I was robbed through the window when asleep at night in the guest house. Insider job or outside ppl I do not know. Things were placed in the middle of the room far away from the window but the bugger used a pole like device to hook things out. Do NOT trust that the guesthouse may be locked or whatsoever. I dunno where's safe to place things when things like that can happened. Lost more then $1.5k in cash and valuables :( But what pissed me off is not the crime. Whatever happened has happened. Its the police report....

Went to the station (Lauprabang tourist police beside the tourist bureau) the police soon came to the guesthouse. Found the pole like device and claimed it was too short to reach.. had to explain to him that the person stretched his hand in (they should realli watch CSI!!) went back to station and request that they search 2nd market cos of ipod or money changer cos of Sing dollar which is not common.. claim they can't... fine... asked for copy of report to claim insurance.. they said i cannot indicate cash lost.. said i had a choice.. file report which they said they will investigate but cannot indicate cash.. or file a sheet which i can keep but they will not endorse..and best of all they will NOT investigate... i wonder whats the police for then?! before i sign the report.. said i remember something else stolen and wanted to add... they claimed cannot change!!! WTF!! Lastly, they made me sign a form saying i had taken the report and they will not investigate!! WTF!!

The place is good but this experience has left a super sour taste in my mouth.. if there are Laotian ppl here, i apologise first but the police force sucks n I dun think I will ever return to the country.. this is barely a week into my trip and I have 2 weeks more to go.. am disgusted, broke and pissed....one word of advice.. check the laws of the country to know what kind of protection u are having as tourists...

It's very sad that it happened in a guest house. Perhaps you would be able to share the name of this accomodation. Anyway, do be careful for the rest of your trip..:)

Also, a big hurray to zoossh for his kind sharing in all the info.. zoossh bro, you have done your homework well. I would say you have been there and done it. :thumbsup: I felt very happy that you are willing to share the information among us..

Hi Z,

Need some help/info/advise for a short trip to Mt Bromo. I have been wanting to go, but got no contacts/kaki.

I would like to find some photo-kakis (2 to 3) to join me. Time frame is likely to be around July/August. Was told to avoid Sep/Oct, because thats the start of farmer's slash&burn - a.k.a haze time.

Itinerary off-the-cuff is:

Day1:
Fly to surabaya, go to hotel near Mt Bromo, sleep early.

Day2:
3am wake up, take transport up to Mt Pernajakan by 4.30am to photo Mt Bromo as the sunrises. Take temple shots. Take sunset shots, sleep early

Day3:
4am wake up, take transport up to Mt Bromo to photo lava, rocks, flowers, horses, temples, sand stone steps. Sleep early.

Day4:
4am wake up, take transport to "Dessert Sand" to photo sand dunes, horses.
Check out of hotel by 10am, goto Surabaya to catch flight back to Spore.

Its a 4D3N thingy, and I was hoping that someone got contacts with a guide there to arrange for 4WD/horses (dont intend to do much trekking, so my wife may be able to join me, female photo-kakis are welcomed by my wife).

Hope I am not crashing into your thread ........

Hi Z,

Need some help/info/advise for a short trip to Mt Bromo. I have been wanting to go, but got no contacts/kaki.

I would like to find some photo-kakis (2 to 3) to join me. Time frame is likely to be around July/August. Was told to avoid Sep/Oct, because thats the start of farmer's slash&burn - a.k.a haze time.

Day1:

Day2:
3am wake up, take transport up to Mt Pernajakan by 4.30am to photo Mt Bromo as the sunrises. Take temple shots. Take sunset shots, sleep early

Day3:
4am wake up, take transport up to Mt Bromo to photo lava, rocks, flowers, horses, temples, sand stone steps. Sleep early.

Day4:

Its a 4D3N thingy, and I was hoping that someone got contacts with a guide there to arrange for 4WD/horses (dont intend to do much trekking, so my wife may be able to join me, female photo-kakis are welcomed by my wife).

i can help you post into the summary of partner seeking which is here, but a separate thread with a title to it will get more replies. so fat this subforum have low traffic, so not sure if you should post it in kopitiam.

as for advices on the location you have asked, i've not been there and can't say more.

Thanks, will try kopitiam .....

All the best for your bali trip!

i can help you post into the summary of partner seeking which is here, but a separate thread with a title to it will get more replies. so fat this subforum have low traffic, so not sure if you should post it in kopitiam.

as for advices on the location you have asked, i've not been there and can't say more.

Thanks, Astroboy. Noordin has postponed the trip, but I am so geared up for the trip, I thot I could find some kakis and try it.

if not, you can consider going phillippines in late aug. i'm thnking of going

I am thinking of organising another trip to Fenghuang Ancient Village in China or perhaps Guilin around 1st or 2nd week of November 07.

Go by budget air via Macau and take local China flights... very cheap.

I am thinking of organising another trip to Fenghuang Ancient Village in China or perhaps Guilin around 1st or 2nd week of November 07.

Go by budget air via Macau and take local China flights... very cheap.

Hi,
Thanks for the headsup.
Keen on Guilin, though not sure if I'll get leave approved.

Maybe you can start a new thread in this section, with more details.
1. Duration
2. Places covered - only Guilin ? or Yangshuo and Longsheng too ?
3. Approx cost - just a ballpark figure would do.

Cheers.

Hi Z,

Day1:

Day2:

Day3:

Day4:

Hi

this is my friend's itinerary. they went in early May. Much difference cos they were trekking.

Itinerary :

Day 01 – Start from Surabaya to Tumpang, Malang with air conditioning vehicle, we will take you to the base of the Highland of East Java. From Tumpang you will have bumpy ride with 4WD jeep or using farmer's lorry to the gate of Semeru National Park at a lovely village called Ranu Pane. Arrived about late afternoon then you will have a rest at Pondok Pendaki or Hiker's Hut. Prepare your stamina for tomorrow's trekking.
Alternatively you can stretch your legs for soft trekking to surrounding village of Ranu Pane and Ranu Regulo Lake not far from Hiker's Hut.

Day 02 - This day will start early as we want all member arrive in Kalimati or Arcapada before sun down. We will hike in good pace while enjoying view of Mt Argopuro. Sometime you will spot the big smoke erupted from Mt Semeru in every 20 minutes or so. Hopefully all the member will arrive in Ranu Kumbolo in afternoon, then having lunch and short break.
Our journey continue to Kalimati (Dead River) with passing vast field of savannah just about the feet of Mt Semeru. Here you will stay in a camp, having resting to prepare summit attack in the midnight. As the climbing will take tool of energy we suggest you to have a good sleep.

Day 03 - In the dark you will start climbing on rough ground, steep hike about an hour to Arcapada. You have to be careful due the landslide common happen in these area, so make sure that you have a strong torch to light your path. The route to the summit quite straightforward, in the sandy loose ground will again test your stamina. Prepare to slide down when you try to go up. Having trekking poles will be valuable to help you balances with the movement. Most people reach the summit about 3 hours, but it depends on everybody's ability to keep going. It's been advised by National Park to decent the summit before mid day due the gas produces by continuing smokes of Mt Semeru.

Reaching the summit (Mahameru) you will enjoy the view of the major part of East Java. You will stand in the highest mountain in Java. You have to see the small-scale eruption every 20 minutes full of smokes and stones. So enjoy your achievement today, you've deserved it but mind do not too close to the crater as the Mt Semeru is an active volcano.
Then we descend from summit back to Kalimati (camp) to have breakfast and to rest for a long morning trek. After breakfast we will continue to Ranu Kumbolo and stay here to enjoy view of beautiful lake. Don't miss a change to see sunrise by the lake of Ranu Kumbolo.

Day 04 - After breakfast you will back trekking to Ranu Pane village. We will take you to the different route as we started three days ago. We'll choose Ayak-ayak route to let you explore more the tropical jungle in the foot of Mt Semeru. Arrived in Ranu Pane you need to rest before another trip to Mt Bromo. Then check into local accommodation provided by locals around Mt Bromo.

Day 05 - Early morning we will take you to see the spectacular sunrise from Mt Penanjakan with 4WD jeep. You will enjoy the magnificent view of Mt Semeru and Mt Bromo from the summit of Mt Penanjakan.Then we will drive you through vast of sandy area (lautan pasir = ocean of sands) across to go to summit of Mt Bromo. It is a concrete well mark steps to the edges of great crater. From here you can see the ocean beach and viewing the Hindu's temple held by Tengger Tribe from Bromo. Then we will take you back to Surabaya heading Juanda Airport back to Jakarta or any other destination.

Hi Z,

Hi, another itin from another friend who went in 2003. nt sure if mt bromo is same as semeru and whether the contact listed is still valid. I cannot give advice as i have not been there. but it will be in my list of montains to go :)

fly to Surabaya by Garuda(return trip incl. 1 way airport tax of S$15) cost S$370
private taxi to Malang per taxi S$40(~110 km journey)
Rest house at Enny's Guest House(2 pax per room ~S$20, 3 pax per room ~S$40 per room) address 1A-1B Jln Taman Wilis(tel: 0341-551369; fax: 0341-552801) this place is Dutch national operated, rates incl. breakfast; contact person "Pak Weni" at hp 081-330704182
for S$500(before bargaining), Weni will arrange 4 wheel drive(6-7 seater) to Ranu-pani(Semeru base, 50km away)(rest house available here, but very "ulu", with chickens, sheep and cows walking around), 3 guides/porters, tent, rubber mats, gas stove, Maggi mee and basic beverages. Bring own Bark Kwa and Remy Martin if required.
Ranu-pani to Semeru summit is 18 km each way(~10 hrs trek). Camp at Kalimanti(4.5 hrs from summit) or Arcopodo, 3.5 hrs from summit)(summit start time will be at 0100 or 0200 hrs, sunrise at 0515 hrs). Therma wear mandatory as temperatures are at minus 10 degrees C(~ 5 degrees C at summit)
panoramic view of at least 5 surrounding mountains incl. Bromo, Kawi, Arjuno, Argopuro(betwwen 2600-3500m) and Seremu's very own shadow !
to summit in morning period only as Semeru is live, blowing smoke and steam every 10 mins or so from ~ 50 m away. This phenomenon is visible on the way from Malang to Ranu-pani
Surabaya delights - red light area, Teochew porridge, Giant Supermart, Kentucky, DBS, Macdonalds' etc
Malang delights - Mentari restaurant(Avocado drink), live music, coconuts and supermart
S'pore-Surabaya is ~ 2 hrs flight. From Surabaya to Malang, there are also bus and train services.

Thanks GuniHoon!!

Read in your post that temp can drop to pretty low ... that is SO EXCITING ... but it may be a show-stopper for my wife :cry: . She's afraid of the cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.