Centrale 8

StrifeYun said:
Now because of cov ... Some resale HDB upfront cash is more than private ... Hahaha ridiculous.
:p for that price dbss rather get condo. Or faster pay finish a smaller resale hdb :p
To each his/her own . Depends on ur plans...

Hmm, ya can get condo. Studio apartment at the price of centrale 8 4-room?

If u ask me abt those who got the 5-rooms at centrale 8, that I can understand abt comparing the price to a condo. I think I'm getting more puzzled abt this talk getting a condo over the 4-rm at centrale 8. I dun get why everyone's comparing a unit below 600k to the price of a condo. Sorry, which condo in Sg can be bought at that price??

Once again, I set up this thread in the hope of finding a Neighbour with the same hobby. We can all trash talk abt the whole scheme, coz I find it trash too. But at this pt, I appreciate ppl respecting my decision to purchase it, and not continue to say, "at that price, might as well buy condo" when clearly, I have kept reiterating that we do not have financial capacity to buy one.

Btw, a 4 room flat near tamp central just got sold at $500k. My friend who lived at that area got the flyer.

Reno said:
Congrats on your purchase of your flat, like you, my other half and me also waited a long time till we managed to secure our 4th BTO ballot. The COV thingy is scary, 46K and the seller still find it not enough? The news was like reporting the COV has dropped from 20k to 10k...

Well with the luck we have had with bto balloting, a bit scary to keep waiting for uncertainty esp coz we're already married n no more fiancé/fiancee scheme already Liao. Lol!

Yes, it was a perfect unit. Top floor, can see a bit of city (MBS). Our bid was highest and yet seller dun wanna close. Agent of coz want higher commission. It was devastating we didn't get it. Sighs. What COV dropping? It's worse now! The agents are "warning", anything lower than 40k, hard to close now!

It should be obvious to all that the whole thing is a vicious cycle that feeds on itself. If the 880K was accepted without a whimper by general public, then a whole new benchmark is set. Condo prices would shoot up. Resale flat prices would go up. COV will increase; and....some people who own lots of landed freehold/999years properties would benefit the most - (say if for example their net worth rises by another $500 Million /each person)? If we still don't get it, then ....wow....no wonder the Taiwanese guy Li Ao previously said we are not very bright people.
http://www.littlespeck.com/content/people/CTrendsPeople-060423.htm

Last edited:
It should be obvious to all that the whole thing is a vicious cycle that feeds on itself. If the 880K was accepted without a whimper by general public, then a whole new benchmark is set. Condo prices would shoot up. Resale flat prices would go up. COV will increase; and....some people who own lots of landed freehold/999years properties would benefit the most - (say if for example their net worth rises by another $500 Million /each person)? If we still don't get it, then ....wow....no wonder the Taiwanese guy Li Ao previously said we are not very bright people.

This is why I'll be living with my parents till I'm 45. :bsmilie: no worries cos i'm waiting for the prices of real estate to drop. they understand perfectly so it's ok.

bonrya said:
This is why I'll be living with my parents till I'm 45. :bsmilie: no worries cos i'm waiting for the prices of real estate to drop. they understand perfectly so it's ok.

Lucky you! I'm still saving for my own nest. :)

Well with the luck we have had with bto balloting, a bit scary to keep waiting for uncertainty esp coz we're already married n no more fiancé/fiancee scheme already Liao. Lol!

Yes, it was a perfect unit. Top floor, can see a bit of city (MBS). Our bid was highest and yet seller dun wanna close. Agent of coz want higher commission. It was devastating we didn't get it. Sighs. What COV dropping? It's worse now! The agents are "warning", anything lower than 40k, hard to close now!

Wow, where is the area you looking at for the 46K+ flat? Queenstown area??

take a look at this link: it reflects the current COV pricing in Singapore: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyResaleFlatMedianCOV?OpenDocument

Anyway, heard the sales on Centrale 8 is not very good. A lot of people find the price is high. But a lot of us do not have much choice to choose too.

The paper stated that the take up rate so far is about 35%. If this continues, then probably the developers may have to lower prices again (but the 35% may be unhappy) and so probably they may increased subsidies via better finishings, free items, etc. Developers are very rich, and they can easily hold their units for a few more years unless our gahrments can actually "make" the prices for HDB drop in the next few years!

There will probably be minor fluctuations in prices of real estate with each cycle of recession, but it is a much better bet that the overall trend is only going up.

I doubt you will be getting prices of what was like 15 - 20 yrs ago ...

Now waiting for nxt move from government. If no changes maybe I can be ur neighbor haha. 4rm how much ahh, above lvl 10.

giantcanopy said:
There will probably be minor fluctuations in prices of real estate with each cycle of recession, but it is a much better bet that the overall trend is only going up.

I doubt you will be getting prices of what was like 15 - 20 yrs ago ...

Yup. Even during a depression there will still be inflation. :) prices are only going to go up. It only depends on when you're 'ready' to throw your money in. :bsmilie:

Ryu, you're not going to find your neighbor here. :eek:

Last edited:
Just want to say congrats :)
Got house now can plan for stuff inside too heh
Hope you get good neighbours, I opine that's one of the most important aspects that gets overlooked

Yes, I agree. That's why those that are in real need of a roof over our heads are the first people to be burnt. We don't have anything to invest in, or cash on. We don't have sales proceeds to transfer to another property. I seriously wouldnt be surprised if I end up migrating for real one fine day.

The paper stated that the take up rate so far is about 35%. If this continues, then probably the developers may have to lower prices again (but the 35% may be unhappy) and so probably they may increased subsidies via better finishings, free items, etc. Developers are very rich, and they can easily hold their units for a few more years unless our gahrments can actually "make" the prices for HDB drop in the next few years!

Can the 35% sue them if they lower the prices??? Lol!

Now waiting for nxt move from government. If no changes maybe I can be ur neighbor haha. 4rm how much ahh, above lvl 10.

It depends which side u're facing, and which block. If u choose the middle ones, around 550k probably for higher floors. :)

Yup. Even during a depression there will still be inflation. :) prices are only going to go up. It only depends on when you're 'ready' to throw your money in. :bsmilie:

Ryu, you're not going to find your neighbor here.

Got hope in strifeyun!! LOL.

Just want to say congrats :)
Got house now can plan for stuff inside too heh
Hope you get good neighbours, I opine that's one of the most important aspects that gets overlooked

Thanks! Actually the big headache now is what to do with my utterly useless master bedroom balcony. Neither of us smokes (husband is social smoker but I will smack him hard if he brings anyone to the balcony to smoke LOL), so yeah... No idea. Heh.

And yeah! I saw quite a few young couples as well. Hopefully neighbours gonna be great as well. I'm pretty sure too many are those who are "trapped". Met an old friend, he sounds like the trapped ones as me, married for 2 yrs and no house of their own yet. And to secure a flat asap. Though cost seems like no issue to them... =___=""

Wow, where is the area you looking at for the 46K+ flat? Queenstown area??

take a look at this link: it reflects the current COV pricing in Singapore: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyResaleFlatMedianCOV?OpenDocument

Anyway, heard the sales on Centrale 8 is not very good. A lot of people find the price is high. But a lot of us do not have much choice to choose too.

BEDOK RESERVOIR. The cheapest piece of land in Bedok as yet. Maybe coz its on WP's lair. Hahahahaha.

Reality is this:
1) Bedok North and South commands at least 50k COV for units mid-level and above. In fact, you can run through iproperty or sgproperty to see that some are asking for 100k COV.

2) Valuation of flats in Bedok Reservoir is lower generally compared to the other 2 parts. I currently stay here, and I absolutely love this place plus I get to be part of election history. That's why we banked on trying to get a place within Bedok Reservoir, technically cheapest yet higher chances of better resale value in time to come due to the downtown line. But as you can see, reality is that owners refuse to let go of their property without capitalising on as much cash from buyer as possible. There is a high floor unit in my block that is asking for $800k, ie. $100k++ cash fyi.

3) Tampines has its cheap and prime area. Obviously, prime area is anywhere near the central/interchange/MRT. Unlike Bedok where almost all parts are prime land (except for Kaki Bukit area due to inaccessibility factor), Tampines has more ulu parts. I rely a lot on public transport on weekdays so accessibility is a huge factor in location.

4) Simei is expensive as well. Almost anywhere in Simei is walking distance to the MRT coz the estate is that small. But because the estate is that that small, accessibility in terms of bus svcs is another minus point.

5) Pasir Ris (or some who lovingly call it Paris when its nowhere near the city) is similar to Tampines. You can however choose to live in the most ulu parts of Pasir Ris like Elias area to get hold of the condos there for 700k. Of coz it won't be a problem for you, if u work in the east and u have a car to drive all the time. Too bad for us, coz we're neither and we're pampered with distance between town/central and Bedok.

Anything beyond Bedok is considered central area so its really out of the question to even look at the prices. Lol!

By the way, that's median pricing they're reporting. It takes into account the ulu parts of the estates as well. And that's Q1. Q2 will be much worse I believe. They did report the median COV got higher after GE. That applies even in opposition's lair leh. Hahaha.

BEDOK RESERVOIR. The cheapest piece of land in Bedok as yet. Maybe coz its on WP's lair. Hahahahaha.

Reality is this:
1) Bedok North and South commands at least 50k COV for units mid-level and above. In fact, you can run through iproperty or sgproperty to see that some are asking for 100k COV.

2) Valuation of flats in Bedok Reservoir is lower generally compared to the other 2 parts. I currently stay here, and I absolutely love this place plus I get to be part of election history. That's why we banked on trying to get a place within Bedok Reservoir, technically cheapest yet higher chances of better resale value in time to come due to the downtown line. But as you can see, reality is that owners refuse to let go of their property without capitalising on as much cash from buyer as possible. There is a high floor unit in my block that is asking for $800k, ie. $100k++ cash fyi.

3) Tampines has its cheap and prime area. Obviously, prime area is anywhere near the central/interchange/MRT. Unlike Bedok where almost all parts are prime land (except for Kaki Bukit area due to inaccessibility factor), Tampines has more ulu parts. I rely a lot on public transport on weekdays so accessibility is a huge factor in location.

4) Simei is expensive as well. Almost anywhere in Simei is walking distance to the MRT coz the estate is that small. But because the estate is that that small, accessibility in terms of bus svcs is another minus point.

5) Pasir Ris (or some who lovingly call it Paris when its nowhere near the city) is similar to Tampines. You can however choose to live in the most ulu parts of Pasir Ris like Elias area to get hold of the condos there for 700k. Of coz it won't be a problem for you, if u work in the east and u have a car to drive all the time. Too bad for us, coz we're neither and we're pampered with distance between town/central and Bedok.

Anything beyond Bedok is considered central area so its really out of the question to even look at the prices. Lol!

By the way, that's median pricing they're reporting. It takes into account the ulu parts of the estates as well. And that's Q1. Q2 will be much worse I believe. They did report the median COV got higher after GE. That applies even in opposition's lair leh. Hahaha.

I did not know the price in Bedok area can be so scary, i am staying in bedok currently and i have tried to look for resales flat in bedok area 4 years, the flats around are more than 20 yrs old and only 2 areas that are less than 10 years old. That time the COV is around 30k and it was scary...

I did not know the price in Bedok area can be so scary, i am staying in bedok currently and i have tried to look for resales flat in bedok area 4 years, the flats around are more than 20 yrs old and only 2 areas that are less than 10 years old. That time the COV is around 30k and it was scary...

I realised its a foodie's haven actually, the interchange's huge hawker centre & the market at Blk 80+ have been serving one of the best food in Sg, and due to the relatively large number of Malays, good halal food is widely available, what not with chillout places like Simpang Bedok and Bedok corner (that serves awesome cheng tng). The rustic nature of the neighbourhood + food choices are the main selling points of the estate.

I ever viewed a flat opposite the stadium that's about 5 years old. Valuation for the 84 sqm flat was $450k (the price was higher as the flat was new), but reno was fully done ala condo style, gorgeous interior, fully airconditioned (husband is pilot, wife is architect), probably about 100k worth of reno was done. COV asking was 50k but hey, at least this was justified coz its a move-in unit! U see the others 30 year old flats... in despair... everything kana do one... then u pay close to 500k for it... then have to spend another 30-40k to do whats BASIC to salvage the unit...

I realised its a foodie's haven actually, the interchange's huge hawker centre & the market at Blk 80+ have been serving one of the best food in Sg, and due to the relatively large number of Malays, good halal food is widely available, what not with chillout places like Simpang Bedok and Bedok corner (that serves awesome cheng tng). The rustic nature of the neighbourhood + food choices are the main selling points of the estate.

I ever viewed a flat opposite the stadium that's about 5 years old. Valuation for the 84 sqm flat was $450k (the price was higher as the flat was new), but reno was fully done ala condo style, gorgeous interior, fully airconditioned (husband is pilot, wife is architect), probably about 100k worth of reno was done. COV asking was 50k but hey, at least this was justified coz its a move-in unit! U see the others 30 year old flats... in despair... everything kana do one... then u pay close to 500k for it... then have to spend another 30-40k to do whats BASIC to salvage the unit...

Not only it is a foodie's haven, most of the famous schools are around that area too... sigh....

Reno said:
That time the COV is around 30k and it was scary...

Ya. Less than 2 yrs back when I was looking ard, I thought a high floor resale flat at tpy central that asked for 50k was scary too ..

Nowadays transport costs up, utility bills up, COE up, COV must also adjust up too..

Not only it is a foodie's haven, most of the famous schools are around that area too... sigh....

Err... Includes infamous ones too? Hahahaha...

Ya. Less than 2 yrs back when I was looking ard, I thought a high floor resale flat at tpy central that asked for 50k was scary too ..

Nowadays transport costs up, utility bills up, COE up, COV must also adjust up too..

Ya, today's news on bus and mrt fares gonna rise up. Not enuff that the COV was haunting me, now the public transport as well. Zzzzz...