Central Java - Memories of Yogjarkarta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
finally got down to processing some images from the recent trip to Central Java, jointly organised by Fotografer.net, Offstone.com and ClubSNAP.org. here are some selected ones from the trip, which was a very fulfilling one. feel free to comment or critique.

yogya_01.jpg

Hindu Temple @ Prambanan

yogya_02.jpg
yogya_03.jpg

Silhouettes @ Prambanan, and a candid shot of the locals

yogya_05.jpg

Buddha @ Borobudur during sunrise

yogya_06.jpg

Farmer @ the river during sunrise

No wonder Larry kept away from the main group once the shooting starts...

most excellent composition and creativity exercised...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: , really.... ;)

sebastiansong said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: , really.... ;)

oh no is that what i think it means? :eek: :sweat:

anyway, FYI all, this shot was taken courtesy of Seb Song's eye for unusual angles and framing.

yogya_04.jpg

some additional B&W pixs to share. all digital images converted to B&W in Photoshop.

yogya_07.jpg

Local wooden bridge crossing

yogya_14.jpg

Old rope half-buried in the desert sands

yogya_16.jpg

Vegetable seller on his way to market

yogya_20.jpg

Silhouette of local @ Prabanam

Wow .. I love the one with the wooden bridge . I must say the b/w really brings out the subject matter !

Nice! :) Particularly like "Local wooden bridge crossing" and "Buddha @ Borobudur during sunrise". The bridge crossing for the shapes formed by the bridge and reflection, great composition. And the buddha shot for the great use of lighting behind the buddha, makes it seems like he's emanating some glow. :thumbsup:

phantasia said:
Nice! :) Particularly like "Local wooden bridge crossing" and "Buddha @ Borobudur during sunrise". The bridge crossing for the shapes formed by the bridge and reflection, great composition. And the buddha shot for the great use of lighting behind the buddha, makes it seems like he's emanating some glow. :thumbsup:
thanks for all the comments! actually for the "local wooden bridge crossing" pix, i think 90% of us there got the same shot, and on its own it was probably quite ordinary. but i took a 2nd look and saw that the background trees and foreground subject had 2 distinct tones so i converted it to B&W and was pleasantly surprised by the results.

and the Buddha @ Borobudur shot is probably my fave shot of all. ;)

I like both the pictures with the wooden bridge. The rest of the pictures are great too!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

thanks, swimcraze and benny for the kind comments. personally it was a very enjoyable trip with great photo ops and greater hospitality from the local FN photogs.

Larry said:
thanks, swimcraze and benny for the kind comments. personally it was a very enjoyable trip with great photo ops and greater hospitality from the local FN photogs.

Larry,

Did you have problems shooting the folks there. I know that most of them are particular about having their pictures taken (at least the last time I was there). Your's seem very up close and personal.

Off Topic: So when is the next trip being organised? Seems like great fun and I wouldn't mind joining. Especially when there's so many experts to give me a tip or two. :D

Cheers,

Larry is a very up close n personal guy...

during the trip he has no problem taking all sorts of pictures...

he just stood over them ... and use his body as a softbox ... that is why you see all the picture have very nice lighting effects...

dun play play ...

very nice shots larry :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: really one ;)

Next up : Larry does the Bangkok night scene .... :thumbsup:

benny said:
Did you have problems shooting the folks there. I know that most of them are particular about having their pictures taken (at least the last time I was there). Your's seem very up close and personal.

strange you should ask this, cos another member PMed me about the very same thing. this was my reply...

this is a little unorthodox, but how i manage to get up so close and get away with it is that i use a very wide angle lens, set to a higher ISO with faster shutter and small aperture and shoot without looking the viewfinder. it takes some practice fo course, but i find that i get better and more natural looking expressions when i shoot this way. there's quite a bit of wasted shots which helps if you're shooting digital, and i filter out a lot of the more awkward shots (like people eating, chewing, digging their nose, etc) cos i believe a strong sense of ethics is impt when shooting blind like this.

Sputnik said:
Larry is a very up close n personal guy...

during the trip he has no problem taking all sorts of pictures...

he just stood over them ... and use his body as a softbox ... that is why you see all the picture have very nice lighting effects...
OEI!!! :complain:

Hi Larry, so finally you upload your pics here. I upload most of the stuff to FN.net. I agree on the Pundong bridge photos, there were too many photographers taking the same angles and most of them produce the same result. Including me....

Where got enough...Keep moooooooore coming leh... :bigeyes:

Excellent shots LL! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You mind sharing with us what lenses you used mostly for these shots? What are the gears you've brought during the trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.