CD - Recordable - what to do with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightstar

Jun 15, 2003
Singaporean in Shanghai
Visit site
Hi,

This may appear to be a silly question but what do I do with CD-Recordables? I went to Carrefour recently and saw a box of 10 Sony CD-R which were rather pretty and could store 700Mb. I thought CD-Rs were the same as CD-RW :embrass: so I happily brought them home to store my digital pix using my Creative CD-writer. To my dismay the CD-R could not be used to store pictures.

My questions:

a) what are CD-R used for usually?
b) what equipment is used to record stuff onto CD-R?
c) what type of files are stored on CD-R?

Wld really appreciate an answer. Now I'm stuck with 10 CD-Rs. Short of using them as frisbees or selling to the garang guni man (if the guy/girl accepts), i'm kinda stuck with the white elephant.

Thanks! :)

I have no trouble using CD-Rs to store photographs taken with my camera. Looking at your posting, I attempt to guess the troubles you're facing. I assume that you have a CD-burner installed to your computer. Insofar, I have not faced any incompatibility with the brands of CD-Rs to my burner.

CD-Rs are just like CD-RWs, except that earlier allows you to write on it one-time only. The latter allows multiple rewriting much like your 3.5" diskettes.

One common trouble I come across is often the CD-burning software used. It could either be uncompatible to your CD-burner or that the programme got screwed up somehow. You may wish to try installing the software again.

As to what to do with the CD-Rs if you so intend not to keep them, you can try posting it for sale in the "Buy & Sell" or "Kopitiam" (not sure which is the correct one to post).

I hope this helps.

Hi Nospeech,

Thanks a zillion :bsmilie: . Definitely answered my questions. I'm glad I can still use them. I'll try reinstalling my burning software (now using something called "InCD") and hopefully it formats the CD-Rs in a way that is recognisable by my CD-writer.

Cheers,
nightstar

i have heard about certain brand of CD-RW drive cannot burn certain brand/colour of CD-R/RW, but funny i used more than 20 different brands of CD-R/RW with my drive but all worked ler....

Nightstar said:
Hi Nospeech,

Thanks a zillion :bsmilie: . Definitely answered my questions. I'm glad I can still use them. I'll try reinstalling my burning software (now using something called "InCD") and hopefully it formats the CD-Rs in a way that is recognisable by my CD-writer.

Cheers,
nightstar

Hi, you cannot use InCD for burning CDRs.
InCD is a packet writing software meant for CDRW only.
Only CDRWs used in packet writing need to be formatted.

Do not do the same with a CDR.

For CD-R, download the normal Nero Burning Rom or just use the Windows XP inbuilt CD burning wizard.

Nightstar said:
Hi Nospeech,

Cheers,
nightstar

I'm glad it helped. I have never used InCD programme before. Currently, I am using HotBurn by Iomega and Roxio Easy CD Creater. I don't remember these programmes prompting me to format any CD-Rs. As for CD-RW, I get prompted to erase all previous data before I could restore write anything on it. Hope you could resolve your trouble soon.

don't format the CD-Rs using any of the pocket format software to use them. This may be convenient, but I find the formatted CD-Rs useless after a while as they cannot be read. I have experience with a few of these software and several brands of CD-Rs.

Use the normal CD Recorder software to write to the CD-R and create a standard CD-Rom.

Hi all,

Really appreciate your replies :cheergal: I have a better idea of what to do with my CD-Rs already. Actually the Creative CD-rom does come with Nero buring rom but it's just that inCD usually pops up by itself for my Creative external CD-RW so I seldom use Nero. Also the Nero window looks pretty complicated to me without referring to the Help menu but I will give it a go this weekend :sweat: .

Once again, thanks! :)

Cheers,
Nightstar

Sorry pple, i've tried using Nero but failed. the problem is, my Creative external CD-RW drive which I bought at their warehouse sale a few months ago could not detect even that there is a CD in its drive :( . Would appreciate greatly if you could share with me what I can do from this point on. I don't have such a problem with my CD-roms which are RW...

thanks!

a frustrated nightstar

Status
Not open for further replies.