CD Labelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinpang

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

May I know what is the best option to do CD labelling besides silkscreen print?

Thanks!
Regards,
Alvin.

Saw in some news on the web that HP has developed a new technology in which the CD or DVD writer laser can actually burn a "label" on the other side of the media. But of course the media must have a special coating on the non-writing side.

Not sure if there is any real drive available as the news was based on a prototype that HP demo during an exhibition (CES?)

Darkspade

Just get one of those inkjet printers that can print on specially coated CD-R or DVD+/-R blanks. The results are very good indeed.

Went to IT Show yesterday and saw Epson demo printing directly on the CD itself. Quite nice but colour a little dull.

Did you check out the Canon ones? I'm printing on CD-Rs with a Canon printer and it is not dull at all. Maybe even a bit too saturated for my taste. Could it be that it looks 'dull' to you because the printing surface is matt and not glossy?

Oh I see. Maybe that's the cause.
I did not know the CDs have got matt and glossy ones around.
Does DVD have such printable ones?

alvinpang said:
Hi,

May I know what is the best option to do CD labelling besides silkscreen print?

Thanks!
Regards,
Alvin.

If you do a fast and cheap way of labelling CD with a square sticker, make sure that you go over the surface with your fingernail and it is 100% stuck especially the corners. If the sticker flys out in a spinning CD drive it might inflict damage to it.

The conventional wisdom is marked the CD with pen such as Staedtler permanent Lumocolor.

alvinpang said:
Oh I see. Maybe that's the cause.
I did not know the CDs have got matt and glossy ones around.
Does DVD have such printable ones?
I don't think that there are printable CD-R or DVDs with glossy surfaces. At least I have not come across any so far. They are all matt surfaced. And yes there are printable dvd blanks. I have been using them all this while.

how much more expensive are these printable CD-Rs and DVD-Rs ? me thinking of getting those printers such as Canon IP3000 if its feasible.

tomcat said:
I don't think that there are printable CD-R or DVDs with glossy surfaces. At least I have not come across any so far. They are all matt surfaced. And yes there are printable dvd blanks. I have been using them all this while.

cwongwh said:
how much more expensive are these printable CD-Rs and DVD-Rs ?
just bought 50pc CD-R 48x printable CD at PK Computer (Funan) for $23.90

this is cheap... hows the printing quality ?

megaweb said:
just bought 50pc CD-R 48x printable CD at PK Computer (Funan) for $23.90

Status
Not open for further replies.