CD Data Lost:(Help Help!! Be careful on buying CD to burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunflowerworm

Deregistered
Apr 28, 2006
I had burn some photos onto few CD that bought one year ago. Those CD have no Brand Name Printing on it. After burning, the CD had "close". I had also print nice pic on those Round white Sticker & paste on the front side of the CD. Those CD had been use on few difference computers and were OK. But after One Year later, no data can be read!!! The properties show that the CD Used, Free & Total space is "0" bytes File System is Raw. The CD is well keep and there is no sketch. The CD had been tested on few computers with CD rom, DVD rom & difference type of OS but still can't read any data.

Anyone come across such incident before? Is there any Software or Hardware that can recover back the data?

Will not buy such CD again and with the Round White Sticker to print pic & paste on it.:nono: Hope this thread may advise to anyone that going to buy CD/DVD.

I had a discussion with a couple of friends about data storage and here are some tips for CDs/DVDs:

Buy good branded ones. I'd recommend Hitachi and Imation.
Burn at slower speeds.
Leave them in their own personal Casings.
Store then in dry boxes.
Keep them away from the sun.

With hard drives getting cheaper, it also makes good sense to have a dedicated storage drive that you can copy files in, plug out and store it in a corner as well.

HD reliability quite low nowadays; prone to mechanical faults also. Hear noises coming from it n ur heart will sink also. I adopted super KS way...

1. Raid1 (mirror) my data in PC
2. Another copy in separate HD
3. Another copy in NAS
4. Burn (usually lazy, so burn once every few mths)

I must be really suay if still can lose data this way... ;p

Heard the pros burn @ 1x speed to ensure max life.

I had burn some photos onto few CD that bought one year ago. Those CD have no Brand Name Printing on it. After burning, the CD had "close". I had also print nice pic on those Round white Sticker & paste on the front side of the CD. Those CD had been use on few difference computers and were OK. But after One Year later, no data can be read!!! The properties show that the CD Used, Free & Total space is "0" bytes File System is Raw. The CD is well keep and there is no sketch. The CD had been tested on few computers with CD rom, DVD rom & difference type of OS but still can't read any data.

Anyone come across such incident before? Is there any Software or Hardware that can recover back the data?

Will not buy such CD again and with the Round White Sticker to print pic & paste on it.:nono: Hope this thread may advise to anyone that going to buy CD/DVD.

the quality of the CDR blanks makes a difference whether the media is still reliable to store data and able to be read after years of storage. cd labels printed and pasted on it shd not really harm the CD. be careful when pasting the labels on the CD, as once any slight mistake in the pasting, trying to separate out the label from the CD might result in the reflective layers to be ripped out (this reflective layer is critical for the laser pickup to reflect light back to the pickup)

IMHO, avoid those pariah brand blanks that sell in seal-king plastic CD wrappers w/o proper cakebox containers.

Now i know i'm not the only one
I use to wonder why i had a few CDrom with nothing inside and 0 btye data.
I threw them all away.

Not really I think. If using brands like Sony, TDK etc so far no problems. Many ppl buy the cheapest CDR/DVDs they can find while I usually buy the most expensive one..hehe ...My almost 10 year old CDR still lives ...

cerebrus said:
Sadly, most CDs do not last a long time, especially in Singapores climate.

Even if you buy sony etc it's your luck. My one batch of sony CDR all died in 3-4 mths. Personally I dun trust CDR/DVD to store anything. Use dual HDD backup.

hi. two ways to recover your data.

1. get someone with a better burner, say samsung or plextor. i tried using those no-name brands before and noticed something very very strange. i burnt a few copies for my friends, and some said cant read, while others can. so those cant ones borrowed the can ones. but despite that, their still cannot read the cd, and i noticed that those who can read are mostly using high-end writers.

2. isobuster. quite a nice recovery software.

Contrary to popular belief

Backing things up in optical media is the worst thing to do.
Forget the BS that CDs last 100 years. The most it will last, is about 3 years, if you are lucky
CDs are meant as a delivery. you burn, then you throw ( eg: pass your project to your friends )

For archival purposes
HDD protection ( Raid 1 or Raid 5 )

If you wish to store them in optical discs
1. Burn on a reliable burner. Verify,
2. Burn multiple copies
3. Store them in a good location away from sunlight.

tmfwy said:
Contrary to popular belief

Backing things up in optical media is the worst thing to do.
Forget the BS that CDs last 100 years. The most it will last, is about 3 years, if you are lucky
CDs are meant as a delivery. you burn, then you throw ( eg: pass your project to your friends )

For archival purposes
HDD protection ( Raid 1 or Raid 5 )

If you wish to store them in optical discs
1. Burn on a reliable burner. Verify,
2. Burn multiple copies
3. Store them in a good location away from sunlight.

gee, i think CDs do last more than 3 years. my windows 95 cds still working.

on a side note dvd dyes are more lasting thatn the CDr ones.. for impt stuff i recommend to do a check on the file integrity every so often and make backups for the backup once you stuff are getting lost

quite frustrated when my I pass Dvd-R to one of my friend and his laptop cant read it, not one but twice... Have check the dis before I pass to him, maybe his laptop cannot read Dvd-r??? :sweatsm: But he say can leh...:think:

Ballack said:
I had a discussion with a couple of friends about data storage and here are some tips for CDs/DVDs:

Buy good branded ones. I'd recommend Hitachi and Imation.
Burn at slower speeds.
Leave them in their own personal Casings.
Store then in dry boxes.
Keep them away from the sun.

With hard drives getting cheaper, it also makes good sense to have a dedicated storage drive that you can copy files in, plug out and store it in a corner as well.

i'd like to add to this:

store the cds in an upright position to avoid flexing. if they're stored in a flat position in their jewel case, they tend to flex over time, as gravity does its job. when its flexed a number of cdroms won't be able to read, especially notebook cdroms.

Burn multiple copies & do it on different brand of CDs/DVDs.

satay16 said:
gee, i think CDs do last more than 3 years. my windows 95 cds still working.
Satay 16

That is a pressed CD. My apologies for not making it clear between a pressed CD and a burnt CD. :p

Threads merged. To the thread starter, please refrain from posting the same thing in multiple threads. You only need to post it once. Thanks.

- Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.