ccd vs cmos sensor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

just like to hear and learn more about the major advantages and disadvantages of the cmos image sensor over the ccd image sensor and vice versa...

thx.

hi,

just like to hear and learn more about the major advantages and disadvantages of the cmos image sensor over the ccd image sensor and vice versa...

thx.

CMOS advantages
ability for integration of ADC into the same chip
lower power consumption
availability of fabrication facilities

CMOS disadvantages
requires more aggressive image processing

CCD advantages
better noise performance
better colour consistency
less processing required

CCD disadvantages
chip gets warm for long exposure - increased noise

CMOS advantages
ability for integration of ADC into the same chip
lower power consumption
availability of fabrication facilities

CMOS disadvantages
requires more aggressive image processing

CCD advantages
better noise performance
better colour consistency
less processing required

CCD disadvantages
chip gets warm for long exposure - increased noise

So CCD Better?

but seems like higher end camera using cmos...
like D3 and D300 all use cmos....

So CCD Better?

CCD or CMOS, I think the in camera processing is also very important.. Just compare Sony A100 with D80 and A700 with D300.

CCD may be inherently lower noise but the ability to integrate the ADC in CMOS sensor more than makes up for it.

So at the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as you are able to get the picture you want. ;p

both have the pros and cons. Let the engineers to worry about it. the big makers: canon, nikon, sony etc spending so much money into reseearching and marketing it, and you can see CCD and CMOS are still being used in thier cameras. if someone tells me that one is better than the other, I will not take his words as i do not think that he is better than the engineers out there.

but if you wish to know, the market is moving towards CMOS. But that still doesn't mean that CCD is no good.

but seems like higher end camera using cmos...
like D3 and D300 all use cmos....

it is solely depending on the technology advancement. it seems like the CMOS are moving ahead in some sense, and that's why they are using CMOS. Imegine that there are some breakthrough in CCD, they might change.

it is solely depending on the technology advancement. it seems like the CMOS are moving ahead in some sense, and that's why they are using CMOS. Imegine that there are some breakthrough in CCD, they might change.

Higher end medium format digital backs uses CCDs...

It is really up to the engineers and designers to base their design on either on CCD or CMOS.

BC

apple and oranges

it's just a sensor, after all, there's so much more to a picture than a sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.