CCD/CMOS megapixel rating and lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
I was reading how pentax is introducing a new range of lenses including an update on their kit lens to take advantage of 14MP CCDs. I can't comprehend why an optical lens need to match the megapixel rating since glass really have no "megaxpixel" rating to begin with, right?
I mean, if I move on to K20D, which of my existing lenses will not be "opimised" for the higher resolution? How can I tell ?
Does it mean that if I use the K20D with the older kit lens, image quality will somehow suffer even though the lens essentially have the same overall specs?
:rolleyes:

i think if the resolving capabilities of the lens is not up to the mark, then there is no beneficial in having a higher resolution sensor.

That is my question. How do you define "resolving" factor. As glass, they should be equivalent to infinite megapixel. Factors affecting it should be distortion and light transmission only.

That is my question. How do you define "resolving" factor. As glass, they should be equivalent to infinite megapixel. Factors affecting it should be distortion and light transmission only.

infinite ? every lens has its own resolving capabilities, maybe u are asking about the MTF chart.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-mtf.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.