Caught in between 2, or maybe 3

lsfchris

Jul 26, 2010
Singapore
Hi guys. Need some advice regarding flash.

I intend to buy a SB 700 but was thinking it may be too ex for me to start playing around with flash as I have no experience with handling a flash before, and thus afraid of mis-using it and spoiling it instead.

So I see my choices around and consider buying a third party flash instead, which happen to be nissin Di622 Mark II (link: http://www.nissindigital.com/en/di622mii.html) that doesn't cost me a bomb and sells at $220 compared to $400++ for the SB 700. However I'm also concerned that third party flash may not sync well or some technical prob may occurred.

And that's why i'm looking at buying SB 400/600/800.

Please kindly advise. Thanks guys.

P.S. I'm more into shooting portraits (at home) and landscape, sometimes into macro too. And i'm hoping to use the flash in some party and gatherings too.

Get a 2nd hand nikon flash if u r tight on budget. A used sb800 or new sb600. I would avoid flash from 3rd party for TTL.

I would suggest a new SB600 instead, unless you can find a trustworthy friend who is willing to sell you a 2nd hand SB800. A 2nd hand flash unit owned by a wedding/event photographer can be very well used. High current discharge electronics like your flash does have a lifespan and there is no way to check how many times its been fired. Just my few cents.

Hi guys. Need some advice regarding flash.

I intend to buy a SB 700 but was thinking it may be too ex for me to start playing around with flash as I have no experience with handling a flash before, and thus afraid of mis-using it and spoiling it instead.

So I see my choices around and consider buying a third party flash instead, which happen to be nissin Di622 Mark II (link: http://www.nissindigital.com/en/di622mii.html) that doesn't cost me a bomb and sells at $220 compared to $400++ for the SB 700. However I'm also concerned that third party flash may not sync well or some technical prob may occurred.

And that's why i'm looking at buying SB 400/600/800.

Please kindly advise. Thanks guys.

P.S. I'm more into shooting portraits (at home) and landscape, sometimes into macro too. And i'm hoping to use the flash in some party and gatherings too.
Think you should buy SB900.

Would suggest you get either the SB600 (if your camera's body flash have commander function), otherwise SB700 would be good. A flash is a good investment that would outlast 2-3 camera bodies. They are more robust than your camera, need not worry too much.

Would suggest you get either the SB600 (if your camera's body flash have commander function), otherwise SB700 would be good. A flash is a good investment that would outlast 2-3 camera bodies. They are more robust than your camera, need not worry too much.

hmm... i am just wondering how many years you use each of the camera? (2 - 3 bodies??) or maybe you never use the flash at all??

joking ah... take it easy...

But i really agreed not to get 2nd hand flash, not worth, cos you don't know how many shots it can fire before it quit... and its not worth to replace the elements, cos it will be equal to buying a new one from the beginning...

If you are not particular with super accurate TTL, I think the 3rd party is fine with your budget, if can spent a bit more, SB800 is good enough for what you are shooting...

If you are into portraits at home, landscapes and macro, sb600 would suffice.

It's not that easy to spoil a flash unit, I'd say go for the SB700, has much more accessible controls than the SB600, which (the SB600) can sometimes gets confusing when you have to press so many buttons to get to what you want.

I would suggest a new SB600 instead, unless you can find a trustworthy friend who is willing to sell you a 2nd hand SB800. A 2nd hand flash unit owned by a wedding/event photographer can be very well used. High current discharge electronics like your flash does have a lifespan and there is no way to check how many times its been fired. Just my few cents.

Totally agreed with what you said.

I'm using D90, i suppose it has commander function?

hmm... i am just wondering how many years you use each of the camera? (2 - 3 bodies??) or maybe you never use the flash at all??

joking ah... take it easy...

But i really agreed not to get 2nd hand flash, not worth, cos you don't know how many shots it can fire before it quit... and its not worth to replace the elements, cos it will be equal to buying a new one from the beginning...

If you are not particular with super accurate TTL, I think the 3rd party is fine with your budget, if can spent a bit more, SB800 is good enough for what you are shooting...

SB 800 is not in production anymore right? so it would be a 2nd hand... = not sure when it will die off... maybe 200 shots? ^^ kidding.

It's not that easy to spoil a flash unit, I'd say go for the SB700, has much more accessible controls than the SB600, which (the SB600) can sometimes gets confusing when you have to press so many buttons to get to what you want.

SB 700 do not have the PC sync connector, so does SB 600 too right? I mean what does the connector do? for additional batt compartment or??

Thanks for everyone's advice. Made me dunno more about what i wan. hahaha

...I'm using D90, i suppose it has commander function?...
...SB 800 is not in production anymore right?...

I think you can still find some brand new SB-800 units circulating, just have to look around. And yes, the D90 supports CLS (Creative Lighting System). :)

My dear CS-ers using nissin Di622 Mark II, any take/advise on this??

How do u find using 3rd party flash? Are the controls easy to use than Nikon speedlights?

I mean original flashes are definitely better but those with tight budgets like me, i guess turning to 3rd party are our only options isn't it?

i've only used the first version di622, the controls at the back are pretty much more simplified, build quality is decent.

i've borrowed and used a friend's sb800 from time to time without delving into the menu and operation much.

having used both i probably would go with nikon speedlites... the extra cost is worth it for the consistency in metering.

flash is an investment and the learning curve is steep in order to master it...

by all means go for it, maximize it... then upgrade in future.. if budget is a problem

if you don't need it for assignments or anything, do save up and go for the sb700, newer tech :)

My dear CS-ers using nissin Di622 Mark II, any take/advise on this??

How do u find using 3rd party flash? Are the controls easy to use than Nikon speedlights?

I mean original flashes are definitely better but those with tight budgets like me, i guess turning to 3rd party are our only options isn't it?

I generally always use 3'rd party flash...though I do own quite a few older SB's ( 28's, 26's, 24's, etc) You can spend lots of money on smart flashes (and cry when they burn out or break!), or for the same money you can buy a couple of good variable output manual flashes (with a couple of cheap radio poppers) and a good studio monolight (AB, Jinbea, etc)....If you really want to learn flash go shoot in a studio a few times...(The only mode you get in most cases is manual mode!). If you are looking to overpower the sun, you can generaly do it much easier, and quicker, with your flash in manual anyway...;)
You can also do some simple DIY mods with any portable small flash (nikon's included)..
http://snakephoto.blogspot.com/2010/10/diy-portable-strip-light.html
http://snakephoto.blogspot.com/2010/12/diy-strip-light-test-shot-again.html
Before you go out and spend several hundred dollars on a "smart" flash, check out some of the various strobist blogs and Flckr groups...You may be quite surprised at how much more creative you can be with several "dumb" flashes versus one so called brand name smart flash... But to each his own!

Cheers

www.snakephoto.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Yes. D90 built-in flash has commander function. You can consider SB600. This will enable you to do wireless off-camera flash using Nikon's CLS.

with regards to what george said, perhaps TS wants to clarify what is your main use?

will you be strobing with multiple flashes?

or you want to attach it to the hotshoe for events coverage? :)

guess this will let everyone here be able to advise u better

instead of getting a used sb800... for the price i would suggest you get an sb700, a little bit pricier than the sb600, but newer and more accessible controls... the only thing i don't like with the sb700 is the on-off-master-slave switch, have to press the tiny button to be able to turn the switch, not really good for a big thumb like mine...

If you are into portraits at home, landscapes and macro, sb600 would suffice.

I second to this, i am also using sb600. Not heavy and powerful for starter.

with regards to what george said, perhaps TS wants to clarify what is your main use?

will you be strobing with multiple flashes?

or you want to attach it to the hotshoe for events coverage? :)

guess this will let everyone here be able to advise u better

Did mentioned i'm mainly used for portraits at home and small events like friends gathering.

instead of getting a used sb800... for the price i would suggest you get an sb700, a little bit pricier than the sb600, but newer and more accessible controls... the only thing i don't like with the sb700 is the on-off-master-slave switch, have to press the tiny button to be able to turn the switch, not really good for a big thumb like mine...

Did considered getting a SB 700 but the prob is that a PC sync is missing which i wonder what its function is for. What suprised me is that The price for SB 600 is just 30-50bucks away from SB 700. Might as well get SB 700. lol.

The money that can be used to get a SB 700 ($420-440), I thought of getting the nissin i622 markII which cost $220, buy a batt grip ($100) and then the rest of the cash can go buy Eneloop batt ya? More money sense this way isn't it?

Did mentioned i'm mainly used for portraits at home and small events like friends gathering.

Did considered getting a SB 700 but the prob is that a PC sync is missing which i wonder what its function is for. What suprised me is that The price for SB 600 is just 30-50bucks away from SB 700. Might as well get SB 700. lol.

The money that can be used to get a SB 700 ($420-440), I thought of getting the nissin i622 markII which cost $220, buy a batt grip ($100) and then the rest of the cash can go buy Eneloop batt ya? More money sense this way isn't it?

Third party flashes may not work as well as their colour balance could be slightly different. I'm not sure what kind of light the nissin flash produces, but generally it receives good reviews so it should be pretty safe.

anyway just to mention that for myself i've come to realize that i'm really drawn by the sb-700's 360 degrees flash head swivel... always felt very limited and frustrated with my bounce flash options with most flashes that only go 270 degrees.

personally this is a very decisive factor for me... don't know what everyone else has to say :)

sorry that i missed out on your mention that its for portraits and gatherings