Mikey

76127156.jpg

Nobby

76127157.jpg

Willy

76136723.jpg

Abby

http://www.pbase.com/pschia/image/76127156

luv #4, always partial to blue eyes/black face cat, but all are good.

can u say what camera r u using and what lens?

I am using ZD 50mm/f2.0 on E500 and I can never get such DOF at f2. To get even nose and eye in focus I need like f2.8, and to get paw, nose and eyes, I need f4. And the ears are always OOF. You get nose, eyes and ears all in focus at f2! I think not all f2s are the same, obviously.

according to the information in the picture, he's using an Olympus E330 with the 50mm f/2

according to the information in the picture, he's using an Olympus E330 with the 50mm f/2
Hmmm, then i must have been cropped.

Hmmm, then i must have been cropped.
I'm using a E-330 and ZD 50mm as mentioned by Nerd.
I think to get more body parts in focus at such shallow DOF at f/2.0, it is necessary to get as close as possible to the subject and not shoot from afar and crop to get the portrait shot. The other consideration is that there must not be any camera shake. :)

By the way, it is easier to get these shots in focus with the E-330 than with the E-500 because they were mostly taken with the camera almost if not at ground level and the tiltable Live View screen is perfect for this. If I had to twist my body into unnatural positions to take them using a non-Live View camera, the possibility of camera shake would be greater.

beautiful and sharp cat pictures! Do they fight? :)

I think to get more body parts in focus at such shallow DOF at f/2.0, it is necessary to get as close as possible to the subject and not shoot from afar and crop to get the portrait shot.

I thought the closer you get the shallower the DOF becomes.

This cat pic was taken at about a foot from the cat's face. I was at eye level with it.

The essential settings are: 50mmMacro, ISO200, 1/100, f4. I did f-bracketing from f2 upwards until I could get paws, nose and eyes in focus. But still the ears are OOF, and it is at f4. I still dont understand how you get so much DOF with f2.

Actually the DOF in my shots is pretty shallow. You can see the 'depth' from the tiles on the floor that were in focus in many of the shots. As long as the eyes, nose or paws were within this range, they were in focus.

The ears of the cat in your pic looked quite focussed to me, especially the one on the right side of the shot.

Maybe it's just me. They let you know if they do anyway...

Is it just me or this picture appeared on flickrcombat.com/cats ?
Are you sure you saw it there? I didn't post on this site ever. :dunno:

But you should post it yourself. This looks like a FlickrCombat picture.

Pretty cat shots. they're adorable. :)

The ones on FlickrCombat? Yup. so cute, I even subscribed to "Cute Cat of the Day". Here's today's, for example:
o,1173881000000,8494.jpg

A few more wide-opened cat pics... same camera, same lens, same aperture....

76767219.jpg

Grouchy Bam Bam the Burmese

76767222.jpg

Missy the Persian-Cross

76767224.jpg

Tong Tong the Russian Blue
:)

magnificent shots...I like them all...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.