www.skyetan.com
CATHERLYN
PHOTOGRAHED BY SKYE TAN

DSC_0003copy.jpg

DSC_0012copy.jpg

DSC_0007copy.jpg

DSC_0005copy.jpg

DSC_0014copy.jpg

:thumbsup: very nice, love especially the vulnerability in her looks and the feel of the photos...

flambe said:
:thumbsup: very nice, love especially the vulnerability in her looks and the feel of the photos...

Maybe its personal preference but i dont fancy these shots.
Its quality is very far from the past works that you have displayed.

Just my 2 cts.

porshee said:
Maybe its personal preference but i dont fancy these shots.
Its quality is very far from the past works that you have displayed.

Just my 2 cts.

Hmm, I guess every piece of new work I do, there bound to have people who love them and hate them. I guess as a creative person, my objective is to present my work in various forms and looks. I personally like this series of work though.:)

mattlock said:
why do you like it?It'll be good to know

Hmm.. it's not easy to talk about my own work. But I'll try nevertheless. I think before i set out to shoot this piece of work, I didn't have any idea how the whole feel and look will turn out. Infact I spend almost 1 hours talking with her and not know what I wanted to shoot, (i.e the wooden back drop, the lighting)till we started shooting. I just concentrate on listening to her and appreciating my subject.

I'm happy with this work because the picture reflects her personality, as well as mine towards my subject. It's is an exchange of an agreement, and trust. I'm also please with how the visual quality of the images, how the wood blended in with her skin and the colour tonality of the final product despite not having any intial plan. This is an example where I do not plan but allow the model to show me who she is.

I like the wood panelling background. =)

my 2 cent:
I also feel these pics... are more like experimentation (from the model) and it doesnt have that edgy contrasty 'Skye feel' but it has a lighter but slightly odd mood with the turqouise lighting.... so ditto with porshee.

Rev said:
I like the wood panelling background. =)

my 2 cent:
I also feel these pics... are more like experimentation (from the model) and it doesnt have that edgy contrasty 'Skye feel' but it has a lighter but slightly odd mood with the turqouise lighting.... so ditto with porshee.

Hmmm I don't know what is the typical 'Skye feel'. I think I'm just being a typical gemini.

Skye, when I first looked at this series, I had a certain reaction. I did not write earlier because I wanted to look again and again, and see if my initial reaction remains the same. I had looked at this series now for more than than 10 times, and I will write what I feel about the series.

Firstly the positives

1 Nice colors. I really do! As you said, the way colors blend together.
2 I like the graphic lines.
3 I like the randomness of the imagery.

Now the negative (maybe even positive!)

I noted that you actually did not know what to photograph and spent considerable time just talking. In my limited experience, models often feel uncomfortable in such situations. They are more comfortable to striking up "poses". And I feel that these images show the discomfort. While obviously considerably less artifice than a lot of similar images, I feel that there is a certain "unnaturalness". I do not know if I make any sense at all.

If I were to chose one among these images, it will be the last one in post #2. I feel that the other body postures do not add to her persona.

student said:
I noted that you actually did not know what to photograph and spent considerable time just talking. In my limited experience, models often feel uncomfortable in such situations. They are more comfortable to striking up "poses". And I feel that these images show the discomfort. While obviously considerably less artifice than a lot of similar images, I feel that there is a certain "unnaturalness". I do not know if I make any sense at all.

If I were to chose one among these images, it will be the last one in post #2. I feel that the other body postures do not add to her persona.

Thank Doc for an eloborate analaysis of my work. Yep, I agree that the picture does have a feeling of unaturalness. Like any kind of fashion photographer, I'm biase in putting in my personal voice in each composition. It is an interruption of the natural but also an agreement between me and my model. Put it in another way, it's like a courtship. One side I'm trying to form a mental picture of her, another way, she's trying to show me who she is.

The pictures are sensous to me and odd because you see a distance between me and her yet also an attachment because we are trying to come to a common understanding. The pictures have such vulnerable quality which is exactly how I feel about her, and her in me.

student said:
I noted that you actually did not know what to photograph and spent considerable time just talking. In my limited experience, models often feel uncomfortable in such situations. They are more comfortable to striking up "poses".

I think she is confortable with me lah. (up to certain level of course). I normally talk about other thing rather than work, often they don't even know i'm stalling time to understand the model better. I just gave an excuse that it's a test shoot today, let's take our own sweet time and relax. Yes a cup of drink or coffee usually helps.

As a doctor I think you've seen more strangers than me, but the timing are often short. If you have time, i guess you will definately be able to break the ice. I believe you do have such experience with some of your patients.

Of course this might not be necessary all the time lah. If you can feel about the person on first glance (i.e love or hate in first sight) I guess you can still work with or without communicating with the model. But so far I find prep talk usually helps.

I saw yr swimsuit, & male photography stuff. Didnt comment since there were like 12983914 all good comments but there seemed to be a consistent edgy. Could be the way you pick your models with sharp features & the play on the shadows & very contrasting colors... that's how I saw the 'skye feel'

Define 'typical gemini' hehe

Rev said:
I saw yr swimsuit, & male photography stuff. Didnt comment since there were like 12983914 all good comments but there seemed to be a consistent edgy. Could be the way you pick your models with sharp features & the play on the shadows & very contrasting colors... that's how I saw the 'skye feel'

Define 'typical gemini' hehe

Hmm... okay. But how does this series lack the "skye feel"?

Typical gemini = 2 sides of characters. I have my loud side and quiet side as well.

Rev said:
I saw yr swimsuit, & male photography stuff.Define 'typical gemini' hehe

Yep, i guess the swimsuit was more like a fun piece.There was an element of fun in paul's shots as well. I shot Catheryln with a serious feeling. Maybe that why you feel the mood is different.

pro !:thumbsup:

I like the pictures for the moodiness and sensuality
Thanks for sharing.

geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.