catchlight's brush

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryuggen

Apr 5, 2006
Bukit Panjang
I would like to add catch light to my subject's 'dead eyes', but aint too sure which type of brush to use.

Anyone care to share some thoughts to add catch light?

me, I just use a regular brush and just draw the shape...you do have to get the shape right, be it more trapezoid or square...one thing though, you should make sure the eye is sharp cause otherwise it looks wierd if the catchlight is sharp and your eye isn't...and blur catchlights look like dust so no go for blur catchlight with blur eye...

Some times i have some difficult to add the catchlight. Choosing which brush and the opacity.:confused:

Some times i have some difficult to add the catchlight. Choosing which brush and the opacity.:confused:
you mean opacity of brush or opacity of catchlight?

huh? trial and error!

Create a layer, make the changes, if you don't like it, delete layer and start again!

There are many ways to do things in PS, and there is no right way. Btw, does everything has to be spoon fed?

just copy the face into a new layer,
chose a small brush size with low opacity,
study where is the lighting coming from,
slowly paint in the highlight you wanted,
this has to be going thru some trail and error,
don't over doing it, remember less is more,
the best touch up is you can't see the trace of touch up.

just copy the face into a new layer,
chose a small brush size with low opacity,
study where is the lighting coming from,
slowly paint in the highlight you wanted,
this has to be going thru some trail and error,
don't over doing it, remember less is more,
the best touch up is you can't see the trace of touch up.

I observed some photographs where catchlight does not reflect the source of the light where the subject is facing. Its a rule to pain catchlight where lights shine on the subject?

Sometimes, when i put subtle catchlight, it kinda gives a not so realistic feeling as compared to the real catchlight. At times its 1 big white, other times is a small spack. When should we choose the former or the latter?:dunno:

you need to try different brushes. you need to try a few times to get the desired effect.

I observed some photographs where catchlight does not reflect the source of the light where the subject is facing. Its a rule to pain catchlight where lights shine on the subject?

Sometimes, when i put subtle catchlight, it kinda gives a not so realistic feeling as compared to the real catchlight. At times its 1 big white, other times is a small spack. When should we choose the former or the latter?:dunno:
study the shadows,
when shadow falls on the right, means light come from left, paint the catchlights on the left,
when the shadow is hard, smaller catchlights and more intense white,
when the shadow is soft, bigger catchlights and low opacity white,

remember, don't over do it.

study the shadows,
when shadow falls on the right, means light come from left, paint the catchlights on the left,
when the shadow is hard, smaller catchlights and more intense white,
when the shadow is soft, bigger catchlights and low opacity white,

remember, don't over do it.

This is a very good tip! Thanks catchlight

Status
Not open for further replies.