Cat with abnormal forehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYNx3

May 10, 2007
Hey guys, I've encountered this stray cat at my area with abnormally bulging forhead. My friend took 2 pictures of it. Here it is. Can anyone identify the problem? Seems like a tumor or something. It's eyes are also small with a little pus, which I think is kind of normal.
Here are the pictures.
DSC_6434.jpg

DSC_6435.jpg

Sorry that the pictures don't show the bulge that obvious. But it's about a 1 to 1.5cm bulge. Normal cats have a smooth curve right. Please help. Thanks. :)

She or He might have a tumor in the head. That happened to my Mocha :cry: and she had left this world.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

She or He might have a tumor in the head. That happened to my Mocha :cry: and she had left this world.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Aww man I'm sorry :cry: Cheer up okay? I believe she would be happy that she had a good life with you :)

How has the lump been there? Tumor lumps are usually hard but take a long time to develop.

Sometimes stray cats get into fights with cuts
In some instances, it gets infected & may be filled with pus. Have you taken a closer look at for signs of a wound or pus on the bulge? If so, it normally needs to be taken to a vet for the pus to be drained out.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_bite_wound_abscess.html

How has the lump been there? Tumor lumps are usually hard but take a long time to develop.

Sometimes stray cats get into fights with cuts
In some instances, it gets infected & may be filled with pus. Have you taken a closer look at for signs of a wound or pus on the bulge? If so, it normally needs to be taken to a vet for the pus to be drained out.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_bite_wound_abscess.html

The cat does not have any wounds near the head. I can't bring it to a vet because
1] I have no $ as I'm a student in Secondary 3 :/
2] It's difficult to catch because it's stray

I know a uncle who feeds the cat and maybe I can get him to bring. That's why I am asking here. Because I do not want to trouble the uncle as he is kind of old.

Yeah, looks like a tumor. If it were an infected wound then there'd be obvious scarring, which I don't see.

I would say that having a tumour growth protruding on the forehead is very rare. If its brain cancer, the tumour would not grow till it protrudes out of the head because the cranium, which is the bone covering the brain, is too hard. Also, the bump seems to be very centralised. Tumours would not be able to choose a centralised location to grow... their growth is random. Unless you are a strong believer in coincidence.

From what I see, the highest possibilty of cause of this bump is bone deformity. This is fairly common and can happen during the time when the cat was a foetus. Ask the old man who feeds the cat how long he has been feeding it and from when did the cat get this bump. If its been there all along, this is probably it. You don't have to worry if its bone deformity. If it has survived till now, it will probably continue to survive till something else kills it.

It could also be an abscess/ inflammation. Although no wound is visible, this does not rule out the possibility. This is because it only takes a very small puncture for bacterial infection to enter and cause an inflammatory reaction. Or, the would might have closed externally but the abscess remains inside because it isn't drained. Scarring might not be obvious because of the fur covering. Sometimes, the immune system will kill off the abscess after some time. But sometimes, the immune system cannot kill it and it needs to be drained physically and use antibiotics to kill it.

Well, the way to get the closest guess is to touch the thing. Press it, feel it. If it feels like a water sac and it hurts, it could be an abscess. If it feels like there's a ball inside, it could be a tumour. If it is kinda irregular and very firm (cannot move at all), it could be bone deformity.

Btw, I am not a Vet and I did not study very hard when in school so pls do not take my words as professional advice or the ultimate truth. I'm just sharing what I know/ think. Hope that helps.

I would say that having a tumour growth protruding on the forehead is very rare. If its brain cancer, the tumour would not grow till it protrudes out of the head because the cranium, which is the bone covering the brain, is too hard. Also, the bump seems to be very centralised. Tumours would not be able to choose a centralised location to grow... their growth is random. Unless you are a strong believer in coincidence.

From what I see, the highest possibilty of cause of this bump is bone deformity. This is fairly common and can happen during the time when the cat was a foetus. Ask the old man who feeds the cat how long he has been feeding it and from when did the cat get this bump. If its been there all along, this is probably it. You don't have to worry if its bone deformity. If it has survived till now, it will probably continue to survive till something else kills it.

It could also be an abscess/ inflammation. Although no wound is visible, this does not rule out the possibility. This is because it only takes a very small puncture for bacterial infection to enter and cause an inflammatory reaction. Or, the would might have closed externally but the abscess remains inside because it isn't drained. Scarring might not be obvious because of the fur covering. Sometimes, the immune system will kill off the abscess after some time. But sometimes, the immune system cannot kill it and it needs to be drained physically and use antibiotics to kill it.

Well, the way to get the closest guess is to touch the thing. Press it, feel it. If it feels like a water sac and it hurts, it could be an abscess. If it feels like there's a ball inside, it could be a tumour. If it is kinda irregular and very firm (cannot move at all), it could be bone deformity.

Btw, I am not a Vet and I did not study very hard when in school so pls do not take my words as professional advice or the ultimate truth. I'm just sharing what I know/ think. Hope that helps.

Okay thanks I will check with the old man. I can't get close to the cat it runs away :cry: Thanks for the infomation WuffRuff.

In fact from the pics, the protrusion looks like it is wedge shaped. I can't really see anything weird from here. One thing you should take note is that cats use their forehead to greet people and show affection (called 'bunting'). My cat usually uses her forehead to grind or knock on objects to express happiness, hunger, attention, etc. Whenever I get home in the evening, she would use her forehead to rub or knock against my shoes. This is their greeting method to show affection. You can test it by gathering your fist and point it towards him. It will come and knock his forehead against your fist to check you out or show 'buddy-buddy' greetings. If the bump is painful, he will not do it. Then you should bring him to a vet.

In fact from the pics, the protrusion looks like it is wedge shaped. I can't really see anything weird from here. One thing you should take note is that cats use their forehead to greet people and show affection (called 'bunting'). My cat usually uses her forehead to grind or knock on objects to express happiness, hunger, attention, etc. Whenever I get home in the evening, she would use her forehead to rub or knock against my shoes. This is their greeting method to show affection. You can test it by gathering your fist and point it towards him. It will come and knock his forehead against your fist to check you out or show 'buddy-buddy' greetings. If the bump is painful, he will not do it. Then you should bring him to a vet.

It won't bump me because it's a stray, as stated many times already. Normally strays will run away. And this one is no exception. I've tried going near to it but it gets scared. Maybe I will go buy some food and then take the chance to try to feel the bump. Thanks for the information. Helped quite abit. Gave me some idea. Thanks.

It won't bump me because it's a stray, as stated many times already. Normally strays will run away. And this one is no exception. I've tried going near to it but it gets scared. Maybe I will go buy some food and then take the chance to try to feel the bump. Thanks for the information. Helped quite abit. Gave me some idea. Thanks.

Yeah, no prob man. My cat was previously a stray cat too. I thought you already knew him for some time. :D

Yeah, no prob man. My cat was previously a stray cat too. I thought you already knew him for some time. :D

Haha no only started during June because of June holidays + go out more and walked at that path where the cat is always at. Becuase I don't normally walk there if I go to school :D

do u get infectious if u touch the bump or accidentally touch the pas and rub it into your eyes

do u get infectious if u touch the bump or accidentally touch the pas and rub it into your eyes

I don't know. Anyway credits to knpan for the pictures. THANK YOU KNPAN :D

uh? :think:

Haha nothing :) Anyway just saw the cat. Realised eye is infected too. Staying under the rain, like emo. The cat was calm but looked weak. But it looked as if it was of a healty weight and size :)

Status
Not open for further replies.