Cat Lovers please help... What to do with a week old kitten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsim

Jun 5, 2003
East
www.flickr.com
Last week my wife found a newborn kitten on the pathway downstairs our house, as she was walking to mrt to work... could not locate the mother cat. My wife was afraid that it will get hurt laying there...so took it home...

We believe it is only 4 days old, as of today... eyes not open yet and umbilical cord is still attached! I had been diligently feeding it with full cream milk thru'out this 2 days. Problem is, weekdays, we will be working and no one would be home to feed it... so it would go hungry thru'out the day... dunno how..

Anyone can advise what is the best way to help this poor little kitten?

Philip tan should be able to help...will let him know

fintan said:
Philip tan should be able to help...will let him know

Philip Tan is kitten mummy? :think: :bsmilie:

Oh gosh! A 4 day old kitten! I think it can survive a day without food as long as you feed it in the morning and night. It can't go on feeding and feeding. I think better keep it warm.

But the umbilical cord ...... :think:

bring it to a vet. Its too young to be away from its mother. It will die soon. If you want to feed it with milk, try to get from petshops powdered milk not the human type. And use the suckler sold in petshops too.

Keep it warm and no matter what you do, dont get it wet as in taking it for a bath. Do wipe it with a slightly damp warm cloth to keep it clean. Pay attention to its anus and penis and vagina if its female. The wiping stimulates the lapping of the mother's tongue. Kittens and Puppies dont know how to pass motion, the licking by their mothers clean them up and also stimulates them to pass motion.

This two days, i had been feeding it every 4 hourly... so for weekday, i can feed it at 8am and then the next feeding time will be evening when i am back.. not sure will it tahan so long not... so tmr i will take half day afternoon to come back to take care of it...

but i cannot do this for long...

anyone wish to help me take care of this poor little kitten...

thanks..

Whatever you do, dont give it to SPCA.... will most likely be put down.

centuryegg said:
bring it to a vet. Its too young to be away from its mother. It will die soon. If you want to feed it with milk, try to get from petshops powdered milk not the human type. And use the suckler sold in petshops too.

Keep it warm and no matter what you do, dont get it wet as in taking it for a bath. Do wipe it with a slightly damp warm cloth to keep it clean. Pay attention to its anus and penis and vagina if its female. The wiping stimulates the lapping of the mother's tongue. Kittens and Puppies dont know how to pass motion, the licking by their mothers clean them up and also stimulates them to pass motion.

What can the vet do? they will take it in??
I have been feeding it with HL milk and Dutch lady full cream milk... using a syringe..
Wipe it regulary with damp tissue... and yesterday it pass motion and urine by itself... or maybe it is becos i had been stroking it...

worried and confused...

If it has been doing well so far, then it should be fine. Normally its the first 24 hours away from it's mom that decides whether it makes it or not.

so u think i could continue feeding it with full cream milk??

And it will not starve to death during weekdays when it will only get fed early morning and evening??

i would put the kitten safely at one corner [near where you found it]

when it cries, the mom will come pick it up...

prepare a camera... very sweet one... hehehe

dun think this is good idea... i tried... and other cats seems to want to attack it... then i quickly took it back...

so if put outside, as good as suicidal..

Dont bother.... the mother cat wont take back the kitten now. It's filled with your smell now and its a foreign object to her. And yes she and the other cats might make a meal out of it.

ok...i will try to keep it alive...

technical part, how much to feed it each time? I am feeding it with 5ml of milk each time, that is the volume of the syringe.. seems to be enough to fill its stomach, but then it will still cry...but when i try to feed it again, it will not open its mouth again... how do i know when it is full??

davidsim said:
dun think this is good idea... i tried... and other cats seems to want to attack it... then i quickly took it back...

so if put outside, as good as suicidal..

dear david,
actually the best who can help this poor kitty is no one other than u and ur wife. most organizations and their volunteers have their hands full with cases like these, newborns, or sick or badly injured etc.. it would be hard to find anyone who is available to be nanny to the kitty. no point sending to spca too.

my best advice for u right now.. is to give the best care u possibly could to this kitty, with the kitten formula milk (not HL or condense milk.. u may cause it to have diarrhea which is worse) found in pet shops. wait till its about 3 or 4 months and then u could have it up for adoption if u really cannot keep the little one. (by then i believe u would have grown attached to it and find it really hard to let go)

hows the health of the little one now?

davidsim said:

technical part, how much to feed it each time? I am feeding it with 5ml of milk each time, that is the volume of the syringe.. seems to be enough to fill its stomach, but then it will still cry...but when i try to feed it again, it will not open its mouth again... how do i know when it is full??

Hey i've asked my fren to find some answers on a kitty forum....hope someone replies soon.:thumbsup:

http://groups.msn.com/singaporecats/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=10921

Kitten1.gif

it seems ok, except for the crying part... :cry:

I will try to buy the formula kitten milk... i live in eunos.. any good petshop or vets ard this area that sells these things...

davidsim said:

if the kitty rejects the milk, it could have a few possibilities:
1) it is full;
2) it doesnt like what u're giving it;
3) it is crying for other things.. mebbe warmth.. mebbe some cuddle

remember to keep it warm.

kinda like raising a baby.. after a while, u will get to know what the baby needs and wants..

here's some info for u:

http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/a/kittencarethree.htm
---------------------
It Ain't Easy

Raising newborn kittens may be the most challenging, time-consuming task you've ever attempted, and can be both intensely rewarding and heartbreaking. If you do not have the time or the emotional stamina to deal with the potential of losing kittens you've invested your heart in, you might want to leave the job to people who are trained and experienced. Little lives are at stake here.

So someone has dumped a box of newborns in the court of your apartment building, with or without the mother cat.

If the mother cat is with the kittens and seems to be in good health, you're lightyears ahead. She will do a lot of the work for you, and your task will be to make sure she's healthy by taking her to the veterinarian right away; next, that she's nursing all the kittens and attending to their cleaning.
If the mother cat abandons her kittens or was never there, this article will give you some tools to help turn the odds in favor of the kittens.
How Old Are They, Anyway?

Kittens mature so rapidly the first three or four months, that your job as surrogate mother will be determined by the kittens' age at any given time. This key, by Jeri Dopp, gives a quick way of estimating age.

You can tell their age very approximately by several methods. If they still have their umbilical cords they are probably between 1 and 3 days old. If their eyes are still closed they are probably between 1 and 10 days old. By 10 days their eyes should be open. Open their mouths and look for teeth. Do you see little nubs coming in? About 2 weeks. Are they attempting to stand? Possibly 2 to 3 weeks. Are they starting to play? Figure their age at about 4 weeks.

Safe Haven For Cats
You'll want to arrange a "nest" for your kittens. This can be either in a carrier, or even a cardboard box lined with clean towels will do in a pinch. If you have other cats in your home, the kittens must be isolated in a separate room, and you'll want to practice diligent hygiene in washing your hands both before and after caring for them. Tiny feral babies can be little time-bombs of disease, which you don't need spread to your other cats. In any case, they'll be safer and your job will be a bit easier in a small area, such as a bathroom.

Basic Needs of Newborn Kittens

Warmth:
A chilled kitten can die quickly, and is considered a veterinary emergency. You can warm the kitten by holding it next to your own skin, or by using a heating pad, set to "Low", well-wrapped with a thick towel or flannel sheet. Make sure there is plenty of unheated surface in the box so the kittens can move away from the heat source if they become too warm. Feeding a chilled kitten can be fatal, so wait until its temperature is up to its normal range of 95° F to 99° F before attempting to feed it. If a kitten's temperature falls below 94° F it must be warmed gradually to avoid metabolic shock. At the same time, give it Pedialyte (the same stuff sold for human babies) to hydrate it and prevent shock.

Nourishment: You'll need K.M.R. or equivalent, available from pet stores, and a feeder of some sort (either a bottle, syringe, or eye-dropper.) The K.M.R. box will include instructions for feeding by weight of the kitten. Tiny babies will need to eat as many as 12 meals around the clock, so plan on 2 a.m. feedings.

At three weeks or so, you can start training the babies to eat food in a dish. Do so by mixing either dry or canned kitten food with the milk forumula and moosh it until it is a thick liquid. Go ahead and use your blender, and pretend you're making a milkshake. You'll probably need to "prime" the kitty by putting a bit of the mixture on your finger tip, then showing her the saucer. As the kitten learns to eat and enjoy her "mush", you can gradually reduce the amount of milk replacement forumla.

Finally, she can graduate to solid kitten food. Many cat owners provide dry food to be eaten at will, supplemented with a small serving of canned food once or twice a day. Canned food remaining in the can should be refrigerated immediately after opening, and the next serving can be warmed in a microwave for just a minute or so. Uneaten canned food in the plate should also not be left out after the kitten has had her fill, as it can spoil rapidly.

davidsim said:
I will try to buy the formula kitten milk... i live in eunos.. any good petshop or vets ard this area that sells these things...

Animal Clinic (Katong)

55 Lorong L Telok Kurau #01-63
Singapore 425500
Tel: 64-40-4767 Fax: 67-73-5003
email: acpte@singnet.com.sg

u can buy the formula from the vet..
or any pet lovers centre shops.. there's one at Tampines Mall.
there're some pet shops in eunos.. but i dun have the exact address. sorry

davidsim said:
Kitten1.gif

it seems ok, except for the crying part... :cry:

this baby should open its eyes in another couple of days' time...
i hope it is a survivor...

It will not be easy taking care of a neo-natal kitten but you have to try.

First thing first. DO NOT continue feeding it with the HL/human full cream milk. Repeat: DO NOT.

This type of milk is not suitable for kittens or puppies. The only kitten milk suitable can only be purchased from pet shops. About $16 a tin and can last you a week or 2. Follow the instructions on the can, especially the milk powder and water ratio. You will need to feed it every 2 to 3 hours. It will die from malnutrition if you do not feed it regularly. You can continue to use the syring but you can also purchase a small feeding bottle from the pet shop for $1/2. Do not attempt to poke the nipple with a needle. The resulting hole will be too small. Instead, use a pair of scissors and cut an X on the tip. The milk needs to be able to flow out smoothly (but not too fast) when you press the bottle. It's a lot of trial and error.

If the kitten is not feeding, it probably means that it is dehydrated. Simple test to do: Pinch the skin on its neck and see if it bounces back to its original position quickly. If it does not, it means the kitten is dehydrated. Quick way to introduce electrolyte back into its body and to stimulate it to feed again is to feed it glucose. You can easily buy a tin from any supermarket for $4 (buy the normal type one without any flavouring). Just a bit mixed with warm water. It will only stimulate its appetite but not help it put on weight. Once it suckles again, start it on the milk formula again.

The portion of milk to be fed is dependent on the weight of the kitten. Use a kitchen weighing scale to weigh it every day. Keep a daily record of its weight and the amount of milk intake. If the kitten is not growing heavier, bring it to the vet for further advice.

After every feeding, burp the kitten by stroking its tummy gently with your finger. Either up or down motion is fine but use one direction only.

After that, you will need to stimulate the kitten to defecate and urinate by rubbing their tummy with a warm moist cotton pad. This is what the mother cat will also do using its tongue. She will lick their tummies after every suckling. This will need to be done for a month or so.

Second important thing is to keep it warm. Use a hot water bottle, wrap it with a few towels and place it in the box with the kitten on it. Kittens need to be kept warm 24 x 7.

I do not know how to attach documents but here is a link to a good source of information.
http://www.carepets.org/catsub/cat_pdf/ Look for the 5th documment from the bottom. It's called newbornhandbook.pdf

Another information source: http://www.homeatlastrescue.org/html/aboutcats/kittencare.html

Type "neonatal kitten care" on Yahoo and it can give you very good resources.

I can tell you that this will be a very tiring month for your wife and yourself as you will need to take turns to bottlefeed it every 3 hours or so. If you are ever in doubt, bring it to the vet immediately. Neo natal kittens without mothers can deteriorate within a few hours.

If you manage to keep it alive, I think you need to give yourself a pat on your back. It is very stressful and tiring. But I tell you this will be a most satisfying thing. That kitten will follow you for the rest of its life like your child. You will become its daddy/mummy.

If it dies, do not blame yourself. You have given it your best shot. Even experienced cat owners do not have a 100% success rate. One of the 2 neonatal kittens died on me when I found them just one day old too.

Status
Not open for further replies.