Cat Close-up

Oct 20, 2009
Took a picture of this really cute cat recently. This image has not been post-processed in any way. Taken using a 550D using my own custom picture style and from Raw to Jpeg using DPP. Constructive comments are welcomed! Always willing to learn more. Thanks guys.

More info/pic below.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
- Color
- Composition.
- Exposure/Lighting.
- Thoughts on my custom color style.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- Wanted to achieve a sense of un-realism (using color) yet still maintaining a some form of realism in the picture.
- To portray the innocence of the kitten.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- 4-5pm natural sunlight, under shade, cloudy.

4598145534_36e5fb4dd9.jpg

Thanks again. :)

hi, the green cat is not to my taste...

if you want surreal tones, you could do xpro with RGB curves. just throwing on a green cast on the photo doesn't introduce surrealism per se, because you end up spoiling the photo.

tones aside, i'm not a fan of how you shot this. this might have had potential to be cute, but the angle and placement of the cat's head just doesn't do the moment justice.

something lower, and less tight might be more pleasing.

btw, just being different for the sake of being different is something you should not embrace or aspire to.

I agree with nightmare that the colour schemedoes not work here. If you were trying for a cross processed look there are pic styles you can download and tweak =)

That said i personally feel that that ose does not capture the innocence and looks more goofy? And imo capturing a cats innocence is hard unless its a kitten haha..

thanks for the input guys. ok here are my questions.

nightmare: RGB curves from within the cam yes? i'm trying my best not to do any pp with this. barring composition, in what color would you have shot this in and how? don't mind me, i'm just trying to learn more. :)

raptor84: i wasn't really going for the cross-processed feel but your mention on color styles available online does pique my curiousity.. i found a 'cross-processed' colorstyle online but it didn't really suit my liking that much. any idea where i might find more? and err... haha you're right, it isn't really a kitten. hehe

engrmariano: thanks! will try a less tight shot for the next one! :)

I think many online source of cross process cs action etc is overdone with greenish potent:bsmilie:
why not create your own that suits your taste?

nightmare: RGB curves from within the cam yes? i'm trying my best not to do any pp with this. barring composition, in what color would you have shot this in and how? don't mind me, i'm just trying to learn more. :)

*shake head*

not another one of those "look at me, i shoot straight out of camera, never mind that i could have done better with more intimate PP".

the camera already processes your photo somewhat. i guess, if you want a machine to cook it for you, and think that you didn't get it cooked, you're entitled to that.

ovaltinemilo: thanks for your input! i was on an impression that alot of pp pics out there had a yellow-ish/old tint. that's why i chose green over a yellow-ish tint. haha i'll find a nice balance in the next picture! i have to admit tho, it's quite a pain to work on canon's color style creator. it's really unstable.

nightmare: wow. that's a bit harsh don't you think? i try not use ps and lr too much because i'm really sick and tired of using them. i work on them everyday, and well, i'm just trying a different approach. :) just trying to get the best out of the camera. hope you understand.

I'd suggest getting your hand on a film slr and shoot expired slides then crossprocess. So far haven't been able to find a fixed formula to get that look otherwise =)

ovaltinemilo: thanks for your input! i was on an impression that alot of pp pics out there had a yellow-ish/old tint. that's why i chose green over a yellow-ish tint. haha i'll find a nice balance in the next picture! i have to admit tho, it's quite a pain to work on canon's color style creator. it's really unstable.

nightmare: wow. that's a bit harsh don't you think? i try not use ps and lr too much because i'm really sick and tired of using them. i work on them everyday, and well, i'm just trying a different approach. :) just trying to get the best out of the camera. hope you understand.

nt trying to defend night86mare, but what he says is true becoz "alot of pp pics out there had a yellow-ish/old tint" is probably added by the photographer to add a certain feel to it... ultimately, the cam's job is to record the colors accurately...the cross process part lies in the pg...you can get some cross process shots less the tint too, it's depends on you...you can try to play with the individual R,G,B curves to get the look, it will change the effect of each color channel but not really apply a strong tint on the whole image...

I too feel the color+subject don't work as the photo gives a meaning: the cat has been drugged to death etc...(it's juz my perception, probably others find it cool...:cool:)

cat died cruelly.

TS, whatever works for you is most impt. cuz end of the day, you paid money to buy a camera to produce photos YOU will see. so, if u want to see such photos then ok lor.

it will not be to everyone's taste i think....
a bit more space around the cat will be nice as far as composition is concerned...
the colors... i might be inclined to agree or disagree with it depending on my mood.... haha....
keep shooting and experimenting !!

To me this picture is more or less well done . Its a rather cool shot , i mean a close-up of animals is never easy . But it was definitely a beautiful shot , the color is nice .

It still doesn't work for me.
Both original and edited version.
The highlights are blown and the cat's chin is white because of it.
If anything it just looks somewhat ghoulish.
I would rather this image to be either in color or black and white instead.

Let me just put in my 2 cents.

For goodness sake, stop claiming that there isn't any PP done when you had done so already when you first converted from RAW to Jpg. And your colour cast, etc. All these are considered post processing.

Even a camera processes the pic in jpg mode.