Casio QV2900

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sphoenix

Noticed that one of the contenders for the most bang for the buck is the Casio QV2900. Can mpenza or any others tell me about the pros and cons of this model: Here's what I've heard & read so far:

Pros
8x optical zoom
Cheaper than the rest for this zoom range (where did the $650 quote come from??)
Lens swivels just like the coolpix
Can take CF type I/II
Can use NiMH rechargeable batteries (+ point to me)
Macro at 1 cm

Cons
So-so build quality. Is it durable though?
Feels plastic like
Doesn't have super bundle like Olympus
Slow lens. Same as c700 or slower???
Slow loading?
Ergonomics?
Menu Interface?

While this casio model does not score in the build quality department, does it score well in the performance and usability department? Is it possible to take good night shots with this camera?

What's the price for a second hand qv2900 like?
Thanks

Cons
So-so build quality. Is it durable though?
Feels plastic like
Doesn't have super bundle like Olympus
Slow lens. Same as c700 or slower???
Slow loading?
Ergonomics?
Menu Interface?

I dropped it once and the body cracked. It'll cost ~$25 to repair it at the service centre. Otherwise it's working fine. Not sure how other cameras would fair when dropped though. Metal ones would probably be dented instead of a slightly cracked cover.

It is plastic :p

No super bundle. The $250 price is probably more than enough to get most of the accessories you need.

Slower than the C700 at wide angle (F3.2 vs F2.8) but the same at full tele (F3.5).

Not slow loading. It's probably faster than most cameras out there. There's significant difference in performance after I changed to RiData CF card (from Conquest CF).

Ergonomics... it's subjective. A swivel body is different from conventional design. Som like it, some don't.

Menu interface is simple enough for me. Most functions have a short cut button.

Other bad points:
noisy ISO 320. ISO 160 is relatively noise free.
lack of optical/EVF viewfinder - harder to ask others to take photo of you.
slow flash recharge and limited range - that's why I got an external one.
lack of autobracketing mode.
tripod mount at the body - would be better to have it at the lens side
no sound during video clip recording (limited to 16s too!!! :( )
only 1.6x zoom in macro mode (use of close-up filters/macro lens would enable the use of full 8x zoom)
some jaggies for high-contrast images

Some likes:
with a 43mm to 52mm adaptor, you could find lots of filters at affordable prices.
lots of adjustments allowed - e.g. high saturation for nicer colors, normal saturation for accurate colors, built-in filters
BestShot modes - helps newbies like me to set the correct settings for difficult shots.
use of optical zoom during video clip recording.
4 NiMH 1600mAH batteries can last more than 100 shots.

not much of a night shot here but it's the only one I find at my coolconnect site.
11160049-fakemoon.jpg

Originally posted by mpenza

I dropped it once and the body cracked. It'll cost ~$25 to repair it at the service centre. Otherwise it's working fine. Not sure how other cameras would fair when dropped though. Metal ones would probably be dented instead of a slightly cracked cover.

It is plastic :p

No super bundle. The $250 price is probably more than enough to get most of the accessories you need.

Slower than the C700 at wide angle (F3.2 vs F2.8) but the same at full tele (F3.5).

Not slow loading. It's probably faster than most cameras out there. There's significant difference in performance after I changed to RiData CF card (from Conquest CF).

Ergonomics... it's subjective. A swivel body is different from conventional design. Som like it, some don't.

Menu interface is simple enough for me. Most functions have a short cut button.

Other bad points:
noisy ISO 320. ISO 160 is relatively noise free.
lack of optical/EVF viewfinder - harder to ask others to take photo of you.
slow flash recharge and limited range - that's why I got an external one.
lack of autobracketing mode.
tripod mount at the body - would be better to have it at the lens side
no sound during video clip recording (limited to 16s too!!! :( )
only 1.6x zoom in macro mode (use of close-up filters/macro lens would enable the use of full 8x zoom)
some jaggies for high-contrast images

Some likes:
with a 43mm to 52mm adaptor, you could find lots of filters at affordable prices.
lots of adjustments allowed - e.g. high saturation for nicer colors, normal saturation for accurate colors, built-in filters
BestShot modes - helps newbies like me to set the correct settings for difficult shots.
use of optical zoom during video clip recording.
4 NiMH 1600mAH batteries can last more than 100 shots.

when you buyiung ???i confirm buying before newyear !!!
the price is 670 w/o GST...

KC : only 1.6x zoom in macro mode (use of close-up filters/macro lens would enable the use of full 8x zoom)
How much would it cost ?
Also...the filter can get from AP or not ?

Originally posted by Blankies

when you buyiung ???i confirm buying before newyear !!!
the price is 670 w/o GST...

KC : only 1.6x zoom in macro mode (use of close-up filters/macro lens would enable the use of full 8x zoom)
How much would it cost ?
Also...the filter can get from AP or not ?

you could. I'm using a 52mm Hoya Close-up +4 filter.

you need a step-up ring though. for reference, a 43mm to 52mm step-up ring costs $9 in MS Color. so, don't pay anything more for a close-up ring. as for the filter, you tell them you were quoted $14 at Cathay Photo. don't pay more for it.

Say mpenza your night shot is quite good actually. The more familiar I get with photography the itchier I am for manual controls.

Initially I started out with a desire to get a simple Canon A20 as the idea was to get a friendly camera that I could then pass on to my parents. Then I started to get to know more and more about the ins and outs of the digital cameras / photography and then wah getting itchy now looking for value deal with manual controls too.

The Casio QV2900UX is probably the cheapest you could find for a camera that offers more than 6x optical zoom and almost full range of manual controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.