Casio marketing genius, or just lucky?!

zaren

Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
...with their TR15/TR350 "selfie genie" cameras that sell for > $1.4k apiece.
Even at that crazy price, Casio TR cameras always seem to be sold out

looks like there's a huge market of female camera users (especially in PRC) looking for the ultimate beauty/makeup/selfie camera, and am surprised other camera makers have not jumped on the bandwagon :)

So far I've not really seen it in action at the malls...or maybe I've not been out that much lol

I still think they are marketing geniuses... lucky... maybe, but they need to be geniuses to pull of that stunt. Look at their new EX100... selling at more than 1k... with that money, I can get myself a RX100mkIII or mkII easily. I just couldn't see the advantage of the Casio, but somehow, those camera sell like hotcakes... while many are still whinning about how expensive the RX100 is when launch.

Hmm... really hope my company has geniuses like them...

I got a female friend using tr35,from what in see.it's actually the make up effect that makes ladies goes crazy. Well guys like us don't really care abt make up though 😑

sony rx100 III same price, larger sensor and also can do selfie. but then again, woman logic.

I have a girl friend who gave up her DSLR to shoot selfies with it.

It does work quite well. Worth it

sony rx100 III same price, larger sensor and also can do selfie. but then again, woman logic.

True... in most technical aspect, the RX100III is of better value. But it didn't has all those fanciful colors which many of my lady friends loved and lets face it, not everyone like or even understand photography, but most people with a cellphone now, know how to take selfie and post in their twitter, facebook and other social media.

The Casio team, in that area, did a great job, they know the market, they know who they wanted to target their product and they know the mentality of their targeted audiences, so they could score a good one here. Unlike many of the companies (sadly mine included) doesn't know a thing of their targeted audience... up till now, my boss thought people would kill for a product with heaps of useless functions and features but looked absolutely hideous when times and again this is a suicide marketing effort.

DigitalRev did a review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db1K4qeS5NM

Quite simply, the camera makes the female subject look like a million bucks. Flawless skin, slimmer (look at 6:19 in the vid), longer legs, looking like a pro model.
Casio are definitely on to something...a camera that makes better photos and makes the person more beautiful.
I'm surprised other brands have not cottoned on yet! lol
As one lady user said on her blog, this Casio selfie genie cam allows her to camwhore to her heart's content WITHOUT MAKEUP. how cool is that??!!!

Last edited:
Seems like a really fun camera to have. But the price is just crazy. I guess Casio did a good job designing the product as well as keeping it quite exclusive it seems.