Casio breaks 10MP on 1/1.8" sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
wow!! :bigeyes: juz read the news here:
http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3300

its amazing what sensor technology has been put in. juz when i thot small sensors like this is quite impossible to break the 2 digit MP barrier.... well, never say never... :lovegrin:

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
low noise. ISO3200? i don't believe their claims.
It's only rated to ISO400. Did they say low noise? Maybe at ISO 50? They didn't say low noise when boosted to ISO3200. :)

nightpiper said:
wow!! :bigeyes: juz read the news here:
its amazing what sensor technology has been put in. juz when i thot small sensors like this is quite impossible to break the 2 digit MP barrier.... well, never say never... :lovegrin:

It is 1/1.8" - that's large actually.
1/2.5" is tiny!

yanyewkay said:
:sweatsm: SNR very low?

not low at all but its useable & thus, able to market it to sell. juz like the fine line between acceptable useable noise vs best low noise characteristics. launching in June so lets wait & see the actual pic taken by this 10MP P&S. :)

Wai said:
so much MP for P&S for what

i rather have a 4MP P&S that is as noise free as 5D for all ISO

I rather have a 10MP P&S that is noise free at ISO100 and for ISO1600 I can downsample to 4MP to get lower noise/ finer grain.

This is just breaking the record just for the sake of maybe Guiness Record only. A 3 or 4Mp for a P&S is largely sufficient. Anything more is just an utter waste and utterly useless. If you're thinking of cropping, you get really very, very soft pix.

I still love my Casio QV-R41 with 1/1.8inch sensor - excellent noise level at ISO500.

Wai said:
so much MP for P&S for what

i rather have a 4MP P&S that is as noise free as 5D for all ISO

so much MP for the marketing purpose, if not very hard to create something to sell. really interesting to see something like that. i think in the consumer teritory, MP still sells. ;p

Hmmmm doesn't it mean that the minimum aperture has to be even bigger to avoid diffraction problems?

unseen said:
Hmmmm doesn't it mean that the minimum aperture has to be even bigger to avoid diffraction problems?

yet to confirm. i do know of a few P&S that at its smallest aperture, its at F8. perhaps casio managed to get a very hi quality optics supplier that can maintain F10 with min diffraction?

the yahoo auction thingy is pretty shady... unrated somemore.... :nono:

nightpiper said:
yet to confirm. i do know of a few P&S that at its smallest aperture, its at F8. perhaps casio managed to get a very hi quality optics supplier that can maintain F10 with min diffraction?

the yahoo auction thingy is pretty shady... unrated somemore.... :nono:

Nothing to do with the optics.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

May be just greek to some of you, but take your time to go through. When I 1st came across it I thought someone was being too cautious, but I had to go through exact same theory + calculations for my FYP project involving digital imaging, of which image sharpness/clarity was of utmost importance.

A rough translation into layman's speak:
Smallest aperture before diffraction spoils the picture-
D2X - F8
350D/20D - F10
D70 - F13
1DMkII/5D/1Ds - F16
1D - F22

if 8mp on 350D can only allow F10... then....

I don't get it...
Isn't it already out in Singapore?
I've already played around with it....

Why wait till June?
I'm confused...

unseen said:
Nothing to do with the optics.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

May be just greek to some of you, but take your time to go through. When I 1st came across it I thought someone was being too cautious, but I had to go through exact same theory + calculations for my FYP project involving digital imaging, of which image sharpness/clarity was of utmost importance.

A rough translation into layman's speak:
Smallest aperture before diffraction spoils the picture-
D2X - F8
350D/20D - F10
D70 - F13
1DMkII/5D/1Ds - F16
1D - F22

if 8mp on 350D can only allow F10... then....

thx unseen, very interesting link. :thumbsup: will go thru it again in detail tonight. :)

as for the launch date in june, thats purely casio announcement. they maybe doing a big launch event around the world. i reckon freebies will be plenty. :bsmilie:

Hi,

I am rather glad that companies like Casio are pushing the mega pixels alsog.

Also Fuji dealing with low noise superCCD.

Olympus with waterproof without UW casing.

Canon with CMOS technology,

Live view.

And all the things that each are trying to out do each other with; because it gets closer and closer to the ultimate camera.

A DSLR that has excellent 4 inch live view, 22mp full frame, water safe to 60mtr, will survive a 200 foot drop, zero noise, change lens under water, 864G WiFi, holographic buffer, and so on.

Ok what ever your ultimate camera is to be, as long as companies keep pushing each other along, the closer it will get.

Was it not IBM that once thought that computers would never need more than 640k of RAM ?

Correct me if I have that wrong.

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.