Casio 2900 vs Oly 2040 ... views please~

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simplicity

Gum sia Gum siaz~~~

I feel that once the choices have been narrowed, it is better to focus on the shortcomings....

Let me start with the shortcomings of the QV2900UX:
1. lack of optical viewfinder (I don't find it bothersome though)
2. slow flash recharge (I've gotten an external flash)
3. short coverage range for the flash (I have an external flash for occassions when I need to use the flash a lot, e.g. weddings)
3. no bracketing mode
4. no burst mode
5. short duration of movie clip without sound (16s)
6. slow lens, requires tripod when the lighting is dim and you don't want to use the flash
7. some jaggies for high contrast images

Maybe others can list out the shortcomings of the C2040?

Shortcomings of C2040Z (as far I can seen from this 1 month +)

1. 3x Zoom only (heh heh)
2. A bit bulky
3. Poor lens cover design (remember to remove the lens cap!)
4. Optical viewfinder a bit too tight
5. Macro range not fantastic (20cm)
6. Movie mode too short without sound (18s SHQ, 60s HQ)

This are all that I can think of for now......

Okie ... guess it din really attract much attention :D

Blitz: Wad does SHQ and HQ mean ??? ... btw do u noe how much it wld cost to bump up the 2040 zoom capability ???

mpenza: Wad wld a bracketing mode do ??? ... checked the review regarding the lack of a view finder ... so one wld frame the pic using the LCD rite ??? ... arghh ... night issues again :( ... when you mean slow lens ... does it refer to

1. Aperture range F3.2 - F3.5 - F8 ... OR
2. Min shutter 60 sec + BULB

Coz up till now I haf always tot dat the min shutter @ 60secs is pretty good ... was I wrong ???

Thankz for ya replies guys~

Bracketing allows you to take consecutive pictures at different exposure. Useful when you don't know the right exposure correction to use. Might not be so much of a problem for digital camera though as you can see the results straight away.

slow lens refers to F3.2-3.5. Actually most of the big zoom camera have slow lens. The C700UZ and C2100UZ are F2.8-F3.5 (faster at full wide and same at full tele).

The shutter speed of up to 60s is pretty good :) And the bulb mode allows you to take pics of fireworks more easily.

Originally posted by Simplicity

Wad does SHQ and HQ mean ??? ... btw do u noe how much it wld cost to bump up the 2040 zoom capability ???

SHQ --> Standard High Quality, low compression rate JPEG @ max res 1600x1200. Aside from TIFF, this setting gives the highest possible image quality.

HQ --> High Quality, high compression rate JPEG @ max res 1600x1200.

There's also SQ --> Standard Quality --> with selectable res of 1280x960, 1024x768 and 640x480, the JPEG compression rate is selectable at high (lower quality) or low (higher quality).

An Olympus B-300 1.7x teleconverter will increase the zoom factor of the C-2040z to 5.1x, but it'll cost u $280.

Another choice is the $70 Olympus 1.9x C-210 teleconverter, bumping the zoom factor to 5.7x....most ppl prefer the more expensive B-300 though.

Either way, you'll need a lens adapter and a step-up/down ring to accomodate the TCs....so if u r getting the C-2040z ($750) + B-300 ($280) + lens adapter ($40) + step-up ring ($5), the total will exceed $1,000.

Thus, if you want high zoom factor, I would advise u to go straight for the Olympus C-2100uz ($950) or Olympus C-700uz ($900), cos both offer 10x optical zoom right out of the box.

;)

The 2900UX coupled with a B300 will give 13.6x zoom or 544mm equivalent. coupled with a C210 will give 15x zoom or 600mm equivalent (but there's no vignetting only at full tele)......

A 2900UX with a B300 will cost similarly to a C2100UZ without any teleconverter.

Originally posted by mpenza
The 2900UX coupled with a B300 will give 13.6x zoom or 544mm equivalent. coupled with a C210 will give 15x zoom or 600mm equivalent (but there's no vignetting only at full tele)......

The C-2100uz/C-700uz wif B-300 will gif u 17x (646mm) and wif the C-210 will gif u 19x (722mm).

Just for the fun of it, if u activate the 2.7x digi-zoom, then it'll be 1744mm (46x) and 1949mm (51x) respectively. Wow!!! :p

Or if u got the $$$, u can stack the smaller C-210 wif the B-300 (the 'famous' Oly BC-510... :D) to get 3.2x and attach it to the C-2100uz/C-700uz --> getting a total of 32x optical zoom (1216mm) or 86x digi-zoom (3268mm)!!!

Note: Optical zoom is real hi-quality zoom, but digital zoom just blow up the centre portion of the pix...will cause pixelation and loss of details.

I'm comparing similar or lower costs lah ;p 2900UX or C2040 + B300 costs about the same as a C2100UZ (without any teleconverter). If you are willing to spend more, of course you can get bigger and bigger zoom.

It really depends on the user's need loh.....

The Casio 2900UX is a good value-for-$$$ DC for beginner to get their feet wet in digital photography...though the slower lens might be a problem in situations when u need to capture moving objects in low-light (don't worry...veri rare lah).

Here, the C-2040z is a better choice wif its faster lens.

Up to u!!!

Eh, the c210 is cheaper at $70 but yet offers 1.9x zoom compared to the more expensive zoom.

er why? Is the c210 lousy or is it just the case that photographers are a fussy bunch and thus always go for the best quality. What I'm trying to get at is, is the c210 good enough?

Btw is there any bundle where I can get the c210 + ring + adapter at a cheap price?

Originally posted by Sphoenix
Eh, the c210 is cheaper at $70 but yet offers 1.9x zoom compared to the more expensive zoom.

er why? Is the c210 lousy or is it just the case that photographers are a fussy bunch and thus always go for the best quality. What I'm trying to get at is, is the c210 good enough?

Btw is there any bundle where I can get the c210 + ring + adapter at a cheap price?

According to some users the C-210 may have a little bit of vignetting problem.....it really depends on the lens on the DC.

It's relative, the C-210 is good but B-300 is better.

U'll have to get them pc by pc.

mpenza are u KC in HWZ ??? ... juz bought my 2900 liaoz ... still figuring out the software stuff :) ... can't get it at 650 - 670 as you stated ley ... anyways need to ask u does ya 2900 come wif a remote and case ??? ... coz megapixel.net states it does but I din get it~ ... another ting is does ya LCD display grainy ??? ... or is it normal for digicams ??? ... tried mine yesterday nite and was grainy like hell but why I took photos they look fine ... except for the darkness coz I din noe howta play ard wif the settings yet ... but its still grainy this morning ley ... thankz for the hap~

mpenza are u KC in HWZ ??? ... juz bought my 2900 liaoz ... still figuring out the software stuff :) ... can't get it at 650 - 670 as you stated ley ... anyways need to ask u does ya 2900 come wif a remote and case ??? ... coz megapixel.net states it does but I din get it~ ... another ting is does ya LCD display grainy ??? ... or is it normal for digicams ??? ... tried mine yesterday nite and was grainy like hell but why I took photos they look fine ... except for the darkness coz I din noe howta play ard wif the settings yet ... but its still grainy this morning ley ... thankz for the hap~
Congrat Simplicity!

No worry. KC will help you out.;)

Originally posted by Sphoenix

Another way to look at it is C210 made in Taiwan and B300 made in Japan!;p

Originally posted by Kevin
Congrat Simplicity!

No worry. KC will help you out.;)

Thankz Kel~ ... well my virgin shots are terrible :D ... Is KC and mpenza the same person ??? ... urghh pity mpenza is on a holiz~ ... though he shld be back wif more photos heh~ ;)

Thankz Kel~ ... well my virgin shots are terrible :D ... Is KC and mpenza the same person ??? ... urghh pity mpenza is on a holiz~ ... though he shld be back wif more photos heh~ ;)
Yes, Mpenza and KC is the same person. Don't know he is really on holidays or not because he normally response quite fast one leh!;)

BTW, I am Kevin without the "L". Can call me Kev!:D

Originally posted by Kevin
Yes, Mpenza and KC is the same person. Don't know he is really on holidays or not because he normally response quite fast one leh!;)

BTW, I am Kevin without the "L". Can call me Kev!:D

Alrite Kev~ it will be denz :D ... wah since mpenza and KC are the same person den the 2900 users reallie quite leng men ( rare ) hor :eek:

Alrite Kev~ it will be denz :D ... wah since mpenza and KC are the same person den the 2900 users reallie quite leng men ( rare ) hor :eek:
Not so bad lah! I almost buy one until I found out it doesn't has optical view finder. I think there are 2 more owner in this forum. And 2 more potential one waiting to save enolugh or the price drop enough. I just remember Mpenza mentioned B4 he is going to Japan, I think he is there now.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.