Casing required for ultra-compact in pocket?

u0206397

Jul 15, 2009
For an ultra-compact slipped into trouser's pocket and brought out day-to-day ready to take interesting shots anytime like a handphone, is it necessary to put it in a casing to prevent wear-and-tear on the camera casing or protect the camera?

Any practical real life experience/feedbacks to share thus far, especially from photographers who have such a habit of carrying a P&S around wherever they go.

Do you keep sandpaper in your trouser pockets? Are your trousers so big that you can still fit a casing?

By the time wear and tear starts to show, the camera is obsolete.

Stop being kiasu and use the camera for what it was meant for - taking pictures.

Do you keep sandpaper in your trouser pockets? Are your trousers so big that you can still fit a casing?

By the time wear and tear starts to show, the camera is obsolete.

Stop being kiasu and use the camera for what it was meant for - taking pictures.

This sounds so true! Just that I notice whenever one buys a camera, the dealer tends to bundle/give a casing like it's an absolute necessary accessory to "protect" the camera. Almost like a ingrained mentality to want to put a camera in casing before bringing out. Yeah, and I do worry about the bulk with an added casing.

Last edited:
This sounds so true! Just that I notice whenever one buys a camera, the dealer tends to bundle/give a casing like it's an absolute necessary accessory to "protect" the camera. Almost like a ingrained mentality to want to put a camera in casing before bringing out. Yeah, and I do worry about the bulk with an added casing.
Read about the various screen protectors and UV filters here..

To me I just carry it on my hand, bags and pocket will only makes me miss the shot if not go just get a simple pouch fr daiso will do so you can stuff it in a bigger bag or something.

there might not be sandpaper in your pockets but there certainly will be coins, keys, mobile phone etc etc that will scratch up your camera.... get one of those $2 neoprene bags from Daiso can already

there might not be sandpaper in your pockets but there certainly will be coins, keys, mobile phone etc etc that will scratch up your camera.... get one of those $2 neoprene bags from Daiso can already

I keep those separate lor... :D

On a side note, I have an old Sony cybershot with a titanium shell. Still not a single scratch LOL