Casing for D300. Ikelite or Sea an Sea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwest

Sep 20, 2006
I am going to be getting underwater casing for my D300 and was wondering if anyone, with experience of the two casings could shed some light on significant differences. The cost of the S&S is considerably more ($4k+ compared to $2.1k for I) and my first instinct is to go with Ikelite. Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

I think you need to add the cost of the ports as well ...

$2.1 includes the 60mm port for Ikelite. S&S is $3.5k + port.

I tink cost wise, Ikelite definitely wins hand-down. Engineering plastics vs aluminium, I guess the choice is clear which is more durable. Was having same dilemma as you but ended up choosing an Ikelite. There are a couple of people here using the D300. Just gotta wait for their reply. I think you need to handle both to see which one suits you better, in terms of weight n ergonomics (access to buttons).

btw, I don't own a D300.

I've been using the S&S for a long time. Ergo-nomics very good, but eco-nomics not so good. :)

There are several other brands out there. If budget is not a constraint, go for Subal or Seacam. Another cheaper contender (i.e. Sea&Sea price range) is the Seatool, very compact, more so than S&S. They are made in Japan by Fisheye.

There are several other brands out there. If budget is not a constraint, go for Subal or Seacam. Another cheaper contender (i.e. Sea&Sea price range) is the Seatool, very compact, more so than S&S. They are made in Japan by Fisheye.

There are quite a number of manufacturers out there for nikon/canon DSLRs i believe. 10 Bar/Patima spring to mind. As well as obscure japanese producers which make really cool stuff. Athena/Zillion also?

Fisheye and Seatool are 2 different Japanese companies. Seatool manufactures the housing whereas fisheye is the sole distributor for their international sale.

I think ikelite will out last sea&sea anytime

"Outlast", as in the product or the company? Can't say much about company status, but product-wise, my S&S for my F90 is still usable, and so are my YS120 strobes from way back when. All good, I guess?

:)

"Outlast", as in the product or the company? Can't say much about company status, but product-wise, my S&S for my F90 is still usable, and so are my YS120 strobes from way back when. All good, I guess?

:)

u should talk to andrew to let u become the sea&sea spokesperson and u might get free supply of strobes for life! :D hahahaha

u should talk to andrew to let u become the sea&sea spokesperson and u might get free supply of strobes for life! :D hahahaha
Good idea ... maybe get a "I use Sea&Sea" wetsuit too :p

There are quite a number of manufacturers out there for nikon/canon DSLRs i believe. 10 Bar/Patima spring to mind. As well as obscure japanese producers which make really cool stuff. Athena/Zillion also?

Patima doesn't have a housing for D300. The only Nikon housing they have is the D80. D90 housing in Dec08/jan 09.

Zillion housing/arm is different and interesting in terms of design/colour. Prices are not cheaper than Sea&Sea once u factor in freight

Status
Not open for further replies.