Case/bag for KX

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongcho

Jun 8, 2009
Have not owned any dslr before(now considering the KX)
So sorry for this apparently stupid question.
Went to Chinatown this morning to view a blue KX.
Looks like have to buy the case/bag separately.
So what considerations/factors should we be looking for?
How about the add on lens later?
Hope to get some kind advice from seniors here.

They are really quite a lot of camera bags around with many different designs and style. Maybe you can feed some more informations like what is your budget and what type of equipment you are likely to bring around and do you like sling type or haversack.

Have not set any budget. Will consider this as part of my budget planning.
The case/bag for my PNS comes free.
I guess main consideration is how to protect the camera & lenses if possible from
damage due to accidental slip/drop from our shoulder. Personal preference is sling bag.
PNS very simple just put it in my pocket.
No experience with dslr so need some advice form the lau jiao here.

if only kit lens you can temporarily store it in some padding in a normal bag while you go shopping. it is always better to have a bigger bag than you need, since you might get more stuff in the future, or you might want to carry some non-photog gear items like sandwich, umbrella, waterbottle.

there are the big and boxy lowepro bags which at first i thought looked quite "pro photographer". bought a stealth reporter 200aw, it comes with all-weather rain cover that's quite useful, but it is too small to store non-camera stuff.

after that i had a domke f2 lookalike, IMO very nice canvas non-camera bag look. unfortunately all my non-photog friends knew it was a camera bag for some reason. didn't like the metal clasps, so gave up on getting a real domke. used it as a normal bag.

bought a tamrac adventure 9, i use it to carry my photog gear for long hikes as there is space for non-photog stuff. also use it for assignments since it can store a laptop. i carried it onto the plane with all my photog gear as well, though i don't think it can all fit in now. :embrass:

i recently bought a crumpler 7MDH clone and it's my favourite bag so far, because it's very discreet and the dividers are very customizable. i'm a bit worried about the durability of the plastic buckles and whether they will break one day.

i also have a small rectangular pentax sling bag. it was designed for film gear so i use it to carry a camera with 1 lens mounted and a small fast prime.

Since Pentax make so many colourful Kx, I wonder they make colourful camera bag for this Kx...been searching but till now still cannot find colourful bag for Kx. Anyone who know please update in this post!!! ;) Thanks in advance!!!

Personally, I like kata bags. the designs are practical and pricing wise still not so bad. unless you are intending to start big and buy a heck lotta lenses, you dont need such a big bag... yet;) or maybe you can do what I did. get a DB455 and use the bucket inside to other bags so that you can use 'em to carry your cam around as well. the Db455 is spacious enough and can carry a laptop too.

darrrrrrrrrr

many tks - will check out some prices of the bags you mention for my budgeting.

also there is billingham bags if you have the extra money

Grey Knight - tks appreciate the response

Have not owned any dslr before(now considering the KX)
So sorry for this apparently stupid question.
Went to Chinatown this morning to view a blue KX.
Looks like have to buy the case/bag separately.
So what considerations/factors should we be looking for?
How about the add on lens later?
Hope to get some kind advice from seniors here.

my advice will be, if you are going to buy a lot of equipment, and you will bring all out all the time, get a backpack.

if you are planning to bring certain lenses out each time, and you are not going to buy very big lenses, get a shoulder bag.

for backpacks, there is a great variety out there, depending on what you want to fit inside, how you want to fit it inside (relative ease of access, volume)..

for shoulder bags, i am going to push a billingham hadley pro here; there are many positive points like:

1) not looking like a camera bag
2) not looking that bad for a camera bag
3) good cushioning
4) entirely waterproof (unless you throw it into the river or leave it open, rain is great)
5) the size is just nice to fit what is comfortable to carry for long periods of time

but of course, the big minus is the price. ;)

Since Pentax make so many colourful Kx, I wonder they make colourful camera bag for this Kx...been searching but till now still cannot find colourful bag for Kx. Anyone who know please update in this post!!! ;) Thanks in advance!!!

when you say colorful, crumpler comes to mind :)

i recently bought a crumpler 7MDH clone and it's my favourite bag so far, because it's very discreet and the dividers are very customizable. i'm a bit worried about the durability of the plastic buckles and whether they will break one day.

bro, where you buy the 7mdh clone ah? cos i'm eyeing 7MDH for quite some time already. but always holding back cos of the price... a clone sounds fantastic!

bro, where you buy the 7mdh clone ah? cos i'm eyeing 7MDH for quite some time already. but always holding back cos of the price... a clone sounds fantastic!

I'm in the US now.. there was a Canadian online retailer selling it for US$30 shipped.

http://www.sigelectronics.com/PC-Mac-Hardware/Cases-Bags/Large-Versa-Bag-Red_2

I guess you can check out Bagman products, they might have some exact clones, or similar designs.

Last edited:

bagman produces crumpler clones.

last time i saw a bagman bag was at orient photo. :)

to be brutally honest though, the cushioning is somewhat flimsy. i don't mean that it's not overcushioned like a crumpler or a lowepro, but i think with more severe drops, they might not help.

Last edited:
night86mare,ishou80 & others
Many many thanks. Your advice very useful for me.

If you want budget, I saw that Orient Photo has bargain bins, in it was a $50 Lowepro Rezo 190 AW, nikon branded lah, but good value for money.

use a small vanguard uprise, can fit the k-7+55-300 lens mounted and 2 primes. :)

Then put inside a cheap timbuk2 laptop bag, so nobody could see that I am carrying a DSLR.

Last edited:
I have more than 5 camera bags, each bag for different purpose. For a start, I think a bag to hold a camera w/ kit lens, plus a small prime lens, is a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.