Carying a Tripod through Changi Airport

Calvincew

Mar 8, 2012
Singapore
Is it by any chance allowed to hand carry my tripod with it's carrying case through Changi airport?
Because I'm not planning to have any check in luggage :)

And I am worried that my tripod will be confiscated or smth hahaha
I've read in several forums that tripods are not allowed to be hand carried through some major airports :(
Thanks for any answers :)

I also did not check in my tripod and hand carry it when I went to Bangkok and Hong kong. No issue with their custom and our changi airport. So not to worry :)

Is it by any chance allowed to hand carry my tripod with it's carrying case through Changi airport?

I've read in several forums that tripods are not allowed to be hand carried through some major airports :(

No problems whatsoever at Changi.

Tripod is not allowed to be hand carry in some airports like Taipei and Ho Chin Minh City...

i would think it depends on the size of your tripod, i normally put my tripod in my suitcase and have a table pod in my camera bag

Thanks for the info guys :)
My tripod is the sirui R2204 + G20 Ballhead, how big do you think it is? Should be no problem right?

i hv to hand-carry my tripod through changi to phuket....

phuket any issue?...budget travel, no check-in...

i hv to hand-carry my tripod through changi to phuket....

phuket any issue?...budget travel, no check-in...

Done it via Tiger Airways couple of times, no problem.

fitting it into the luggage is usually safer if in doubt about overseas airports... I used to squeeze my tripod into my carry-on trolleybag... I manage that by removing the tripod head, stowing it separately... of course there are now tripods small enough to fit into carry-on sized bags even with tripod head attached...

The strange things is that some airport have difference standard regarding Tripod... there is always a fear that while its ok in Changi... the return flight might not be so. For me... I try to squeeze my Benro into my clothing bag.

So for Taiwan, we can hand carry there cause changi airport allows us to. But come back that time must check in?

i really wonder what is the rationale for these airports not allowing hand carry of tripods... how can tripod be a threat of any kind???

evilorgi said:
i really wonder what is the rationale for these airports not allowing hand carry of tripods... how can tripod be a threat of any kind???

It may be used as a blunt weapon. The same reason why skateboards, baseball bats, cricket bats, dismantled bicycle parts etc are not allowed to be hand carried.

Of course, there is certain discretion and judgement involved. Sometimes you may go through, sometimes you may not.

Regardless, always understand that the limitations made on hand-carry luggage is for the convenience of both yourself and your fellow passengers.

Depends on the mood of the staff.

To be safe and avoid the chance of having to check in the tripod unprotected (on its own), I usually just check it in in my luggage when I do have check-in allowance. You can easily Google what happens to a lot of tripods that are checked it on their own... After all, baggage handlers aren't really obliged to handle your equipment with kid gloves. Besides, all airlines probably have some general clause to say that they reserve the right to make you check-in baggage..

That said, when there is no check-in allowance, I usually just hand carry it and have not encountered any problems.

Do note that certain airports, like Taipei IIRC, do not allow this as you say.

Last edited:
I hand carry my tripod, Gitzo 1541T between US and Singapore regularly and have no problem so far.