Cars vs Taxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xperio

Dec 7, 2008
I have been thinking a lot when I get my license if is worth to get a car in SG or by taking Taxis is cheaper? For work or for leisure.

depends on usage...if ur work/oranised shoots mostly at night...buy OPC car...

actually...just work out the sums and u would have a better idea of ur needs...

I have been thinking a lot when I get my license if is worth to get a car in SG or by taking Taxis is cheaper? For work or for leisure.

I like taxi as no headache to parking and maintenance of the car... but u need to pay more for taxi during peak hours and rainy days.

U can always use ur car to put ur equipments while travelling on taxi u might end up leaving behind valuable stuff in a rush.

how about Red plate, weekend car?

Dont think that cars would be cheaper in comparison in costs.

A simple sum for consideration.... for a normal say Honda City / Totyota Vios / Suzuki Swift....

Downpayment 20% for car at $48K including COE (Not too sure prices hor...) = $9.6K
Annual loan considering 2.5% interest @ 7 years = $45.12K for 7 years or $6445.71 yearly

Car insurance = $1.4K per year
Road Tax = ~$700 (?) per year

Maintenance = $500 per year

Petrol = $200 per month = $2400 per year

Works out to be $11,445.71 per year before you consider the downpayment and parking and ERP.

That's like $31 per day to take taxis for 365 days a year !

* did I get anything wrong ?

If cost is the only issue, taxis are definitely cheaper. no calculations needed.

If cost is the only issue, taxis are definitely cheaper. no calculations needed.

well, it depends. when the TS take the cab. where the TS take the cab. what cab the TS take.

lastly, how often does the TS take the cab...

I once had a neighbour (an elderly man of retiring age) who lived in a very huge house and drove a merc taxi. He gets around to do his stuff, meets people and chat up, and also picks up executives who prebook his cab. In the end, he gets to drive a rented car and gets to make some money whenever he wants to.

Honestly, it is not a worthwhile investment to own a car in singapore. Actually, no one owns it. We rent it from LTA. After 10 good years, we have to return it back or rent another new one.

An occasional Taxi and public transport makes the most sense. When you have a car, people around will depend on YOU to fetch! You will lose more time and money which otherwise you could go home and relax at Clubsnap. Its 1149pm now, I just made 12 errands today.

Some will say the comparison is subjective. The freedom to drive wherever you want to go, feel the exhilaration etc etc etc.

My "subjective" view is, I'm too bloody used to reaching Orchard road on a taxi, get off at my destination, and not having to give a rat's ass of where I can park for the cheaper rates, dread the "circle around the carpark" to find a place, and bitch/moan about how the car next to my slot is edging too far out.

I'm getting too used to relaxing on the backseat after catching a midnight movie, not dreading having to drive the darn car all the way back home and feeling tired.

I'm getting too used to not worrying about monthly car installments on a car I later find out I can barely afford (I suck at calculating costs, LOL!). And let's not even talk about the bad economic climate blues.

I'm getting too used to not being caught up in useless ego p!ssing contests about another car cutting infront of me. I let my taxi driver take care of that instead. I get to my destination relaxed and not feeling p!ssed off.

I don't really care about the costs involved. But I don't want to go through a royal crap load of pains in the arse just to cart wheel my crappy little car on a tiny little island.

BUT, when necessity calls, like when me and my wife have our first child, I'll probably get one.

Last edited:
do not be too optimistic on getting a taxi when you need it, esp when it rains / peak hour.

Driving a certain brand of car is also a status symbol to let people know he is well to do. Qns is u drive for status symbol or convenience or safe cost (having more than 4 kids lol need to book 2 taxis)

Driving a certain brand of car is also a status symbol to let people know he is well to do. Qns is u drive for status symbol or convenience or safe cost (having more than 4 kids lol need to book 2 taxis)

nowadays you get book the bigger MPV taxis (forgot which taxi company but anyway they bought some new cars recently --- was in the news on tv some time back)

Well, if you own a car in Singapore, it had better not be to get from Pt A to Pt B. That's better done in a taxi.

IMHO, one of the biggest reasons to own a car (for me at least), would be Convenience
- You know your timings and don't need to depend on a cab, even on rainy days.....
- Try getting to Sungei Buloh in a cab and out to take photos...
- Can drive to Malaysia for a driving vacation (Or actually, you can pay more to rent a car from a company that allows rental into M'sia)
- Ferrying your parents, family, loved ones around....

Another excuse for me is the exhilaration of driving...... whether fast or slow.... :)

well, all i can say is that owning a car is more hygienic.

taxi may be ridden by all sorts of people, healthy, unhealthy, sick or ill.
worst is someone who has TB may hav coughed inside just b4 u flag down that taxi. And saliva which has transparency in color may still on the seat. :bsmilie:

anyway, me, myself, still has to ride once per two days :sweat:

worst is someone who has TB may hav coughed inside just b4 u flag down that taxi. And saliva which has transparency in color may still on the seat. :bsmilie:

Haha... true true..... now u've given me something to think about the next time I board public transport..... Damn ! :sweat:

Then again, my colleague's car aint too hygienic.....

the ans to that is bring a can of DETTOL spray wherever we go...plus DETTOL toilet wipe and hand wash too. can also kill the BUG MrsA

Another excuse for me is the exhilaration of driving...... whether fast or slow.... :)[/QUOTE]

Well driving fast past a overhead bridge....with a camera zooming down on the road....SNAP SNAP.......next week kanna letter from traffic police:sweatsm:

Sometimes when I drive motorcycle back in highschool I speed, and I may have problem with road rage, so it is definitely safer if someone drive me around so taxi for me.

You think with car you can go fast?
If you are the passenger probably you never feel the stress of finding a carpark. Finding carpark in city area is very difficult and very stressful, and you spend $$$ going round and round and your passengers complained when you park the car too far.

If I need taxi badly I would call and book. Even pre-book overnight if I need one early in the morning eg to catch flight.

Think many OT slightly. My advise is to get your license FIRST regardless
whether getting a vehicle or not. Some companies do give out company
vehicles for executives etc to jalan around and at the same time petrol
is paid for. While others like me can claim TAXI to and fro.
It really depends on what's your current situation and then adapt from there.
Getting a weekend car would (I feel) be justifiable only if you need to work
at say Jurong Island and have to be there before 7am and go home after 8pm
or something like that.
Besides, aren't we all hoping that petrol to be even cheaper? :bsmilie:

Well driving fast past a overhead bridge....with a camera zooming down on the road....SNAP SNAP.......next week kanna letter from traffic police:sweatsm:

That's why I remember where the various speed traps, speed cams etc are..... Best is still NS. That one is one zippy road but of cos, still have cops there. KL to Singapore in <2:45hrs..... Exhilaration !

Hee.....

Anyways, to add to the TS question, can consider Taxis for most occasions and rental on some when your specific needs demand for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.