cars turning left at traffic light

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
I have noticed for so many times the first couple of cars that are making a left turn at traffic lights try to "beat" the first pedestrian upon green man walking light coming on. The accident near Clementi bus interchange seems to be another such case. I hope traffic police will publicly announce it to be a traffic offence for such driving acts and accept public handphone photos as evidence to issue summons for cars that got away with endangering pedestrian safety.

My condolences to the lady who was just trying to get to the other side of the road using pedestrian crossing.

Woman dies after bus drags her 5m | AsiaOne Ride

ironically in a twist to online allegations that the driver was a China national and the deceased was a local Singaporean, it turned out to be a reversed case

also almost happen to me around IMM, i was so angry, wanted to tell the driver to get out of his van so that i can punch him..

happens quite a lot.

but in the case of the bus driver let's not be hasty to pass judgement..

i'm just waiting for the commentators to somehow link the accident to the government :bsmilie:

here's the updated report:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/woman-dies-after-being-hit--dragged-by-sbs-bus-101744486.html

she was the wife of an NUS Associate Professor.

Last edited:
According to news report, the bus driver's wife says it was supposed to be his off day and was asked to stand in for a colleague on a different bus route.

When I read this, I feel the coy is also to be blamed for neglecting the physical and emotional needs of the driver.

According to news report, the bus driver's wife says it was supposed to be his off day and was asked to stand in for a colleague on a different bus route.

When I read this, I feel the coy is also to be blamed for neglecting the physical and emotional needs of the driver.

no matter a different route.... the driver's supposed to be concentrating on the road and following the road rules.

that's just an excuse. if he had made a wrong turn or went the wrong route, that would make sense.

being called back to work on your off-day is not uncommon.

perhaps you don't work in the service industry.

no matter a different route.... the driver's supposed to be concentrating on the road and following the road rules.

that's just an excuse. if he had made a wrong turn or went the wrong route, that would make sense.

Then fatigue is nt the coy's fault ah..? Go work 24/7 la and see how you feel.

'Not uncommon' does not mean not wrong...

oh tell that to me. how do you think i feel working the graveyard shift at Starbucks.

for you all who work in an office environment you have the luxury of weekdays and 9-5. not so for services and service providers.

we are tired. but we have a duty to perform as well when the need arises.

by the way... i don't even think that being called back on your off day is like, every week?

Relax a little. It's a little early to be assigning blame when we don't have the facts, don't you think?

I have noticed for so many times the first couple of cars that are making a left turn at traffic lights try to "beat" the first pedestrian upon green man walking light coming on. The accident near Clementi bus interchange seems to be another such case. I hope traffic police will publicly announce it to be a traffic offence for such driving acts and accept public handphone photos as evidence to issue summons for cars that got away with endangering pedestrian safety.

My condolences to the lady who was just trying to get to the other side of the road using pedestrian crossing.

Woman dies after bus drags her 5m | AsiaOne Ride

Nowadays, some drivers take the position that if they drive recklessly enough, it will intimidate pedestrians from walking at the crossing even though the latter have the right of way under the highway code.

I have said this in a previous post:

Actually this accident is a systemic failure.

Long ago, the PCR (pedestrian crossing rules) were put in place to allow motor vehicles to turn and drive across a pedestrian crossing at thetraffic lights; provided the driver can see that there were no pedestrians - even when the GREEN man was still blinking and in favour of the pedestrians.
The rationale for this rule is to allow motor vehicles to drive on and not hold up traffic.

Before that change, all cars have to stop and can only drive on when the traffic lights change - regardless of whether there were pedestrians crossing or not.

unfortunately the Bus Captain works in an industry closer to heavy-machinery-operator than perhaps, a tze-char-short-order-cook.

He should be accorded the same safety and rest hours as airline pilots. (I have yet to see airline pilots run over pedestrians at road crossings...but that's a different case altogether)

unfortunately the Bus Captain works in an industry closer to heavy-machinery-operator than perhaps, a tze-char-short-order-cook.

He should be accorded the same safety and rest hours as airline pilots. (I have yet to see airline pilots run over pedestrians at road crossings...but that's a different case altogether)

i'm not saying that SBS abuses its employees, and we do not yet know whether he just continued after knocking off the last shift.

and if that's the case, all cab drivers should not be allowed to ply their trade for more than 8 hours a stretch for more than 5 consecutive days. but are you sure you want that? :think:

Assumption is the root of all fatal accident.

Always make sure that the vehicle are willing to stop before you cross the road.

Don't assume that the vehicle will stop for you.

he should also be paid like airline pilots.
and we should have air stewardesses on the buses.

To me, this is not an accident but rather an incident that could have been avoided if more are being done and considered.

If a driver is subjected to such 'harsh' working environment, incident like that will happen over time. Like any other work environment, we need to eliminate all these risks. Why did they build the interchange there and not over at the temp one to ease up the congestion?

Because the temp interchange is reserved for condo? They want the interchange to be next to the MRT station? They need to move some of the activities out of that junction. It is crazy during peak hours. You just need an impatient guy or someone on some urgent matter to trigger another incident.

We all need to contribute to road safety, no point passing the weight / blame to anyone.

How many times have you seen a pedestrian crossing the road (not on a pedestrian crossing!), headphones on, not looking neither left nor right, and just watching movies, cars/lorries that cross 3 road junction, with red before the light is to turn green, etc etc.

Some, is just pure "the person" did not realise (tiredness is not an excuse, but its a contributing factor), their mind was somewhere else, some are intentional (in a hurry, cannot wait etc etc).

We should all try to help, at the end of the day we help another human being, and/or ourselves, and/or our kids.

sometimes as i drive or ride, i see pedestrians just happily jaywalking. sometimes, they'll just stop in the middle of the road and glare at me as if it's their grandfather's road.

oh. perhaps that's what the sticker lady was talking about :)

sometimes as i drive or ride, i see pedestrians just happily jaywalking. sometimes, they'll just stop in the middle of the road and glare at me as if it's their grandfather's road.

oh. perhaps that's what the sticker lady was talking about :)

2 legs good, 4 wheels bad.

I feel that the pdr really should be updated. In the past productivity forst human rights 2nd. Nw i feel os the other way round. No body in the right mind would intentionally hit a stranger. Hope the prof is coping well

he should also be paid like airline pilots.
and we should have air stewardesses on the buses.

How much you willing for your bus fare?