Carrying your Pentax

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanpotpot

Sep 16, 2007
I don't want to buy those big and bulky camera bags since I can't carry anything except my gear. Most of the time I just shoot with a prime. I need a bag where I can carry my K-x + prime setup. Something like a bag where I can carry my personal things and safely carry my prime setup rather than a camera bag that can carry lots of gear but less for your personal things.

Right now I just sling my Pentax over my shoulders.

So how do you carry your Pentax + prime setup?

I use a crumpler 6 million dollar home. I could at most pack in 3 lenses - 1 on body, 2 at the side. I think if you are using DA pancakes, you could join the DA21 and DA40 together using one of those op/tech double-sided lens rear caps. In some sense, I always discipline myself to choosing 3 lenses for any shooting session.

I am using a Crumpler 4 million dollar home. Same as scorpioh, I can at most squeeze in 3 lenses, one on the camera body, two at the sides. But my lenses are all quite small with the biggest being the DA10-17. I suspect if you have bigger lenses, then the 4 million dollar home might not cut it for you. I like it because it is relatively small and compact. But you might want to go for the 6 million dollar home to be on the safe side.

Anyway I've never bring more than 3 lenses with me for any one trip before.

I don't want to buy those big and bulky camera bags since I can't carry anything except my gear. Most of the time I just shoot with a prime. I need a bag where I can carry my K-x + prime setup. Something like a bag where I can carry my personal things and safely carry my prime setup rather than a camera bag that can carry lots of gear but less for your personal things.

billingham.

try hadley small?

There's this Bagman small shoulder satchel that can hold just your K-x and a lens attached. And a pocket to hold SD cards and a pack of 4AAs. Very small, and offers protection.
It's the one sold in Best Denki, got 3 designs to choose from.

how many primes are you talking about?

could try a belt system...anyway shops like cathay photo, orient photo and so on have plenty of bags to choose from. go through them and then pick a few you like for discussion.

how about a Jenova inner bag/pouch? u can put that inner pouch into any non-camera bag u have. So u can mix personal item + camera equipment. ;)

Another alternative is to convert any of your messenger bag into a camera bag by using camera bag inserts, I got mine at $25 from OP and I think it can fit in 2 lens + 1body w/ 1 lens.

Here's my setup, kinda new to photography thus I only have the 18-55mm and 55-300mm kit lens at the moment:

Kx body(u can attach one more lens to it), 2 lens, a laptop and the camera insert:
4292238819_5dc83ea29f_o.jpg

Body and lens packed in camera insert:
4292237927_d7a6d99033_o.jpg

Everything in the bag!
4292238255_562e546bb9_o.jpg

Wooha!
4292238457_21eefa9dd5_o.jpg

Last edited:
How about this?

3299588386_9cb1b02af1_o.jpg

@reportage
Just the camera and a prime.

@Brianskivvy
I think that is what I need only smaller.

thanks guys!

Can also consider the following which I think are pretty good for a small set-up:

Domke F3X canvas - I like it a lot because it it doesn't scream "camera bag", it is surprisingly spacious yet because it is canvas, it's soft enough to hug to the body. I have used one since the late 80s (below) and it still works great.
Only negative are the metal buckles which can tarnish over time. I've put in the washing machine whenever it gets dirty over time and it comes out great.

Domke3x_sm.jpg

Tamrac Velocity series - great sling bag that you can pick up and shoot stealthily very quickly.

Kata T-214 - a unique sling bag that is very quick to use, but you need to know how to set it up.

Billingham Hadley - don't have to say

I dumped the Crumpler x Million Dollar series because the damn velcro flap pretty much becomes a distraction when trying to shoot shy animals/concert situation. Also screams "camera bag". :sweatsm:

Last edited:
Ultralight: K10D + Sigma 10-20 or M50/1.7 = Head Porter waist bag

Light to Med: K10D + Sigma 10-20 + 2 primes + wireless flash setup = ThinkTank Change Up

But if want to put personal items, best opt for a backpack. The Kata and Tarmac(?) Adventure series look small enough.

Last edited:
Hi
Normally, where do you all get your bags from?

Status
Not open for further replies.