Carrying tripods when you fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloth

Jul 5, 2007
What's the best way to carry a tripod when you fly? I know you have to check it in, but do you check it in with its own tripod case, or do you somehow tompang it with your luggage (and what luggage do you use, preferably something not too big)?

Reason being I bought a large 3-section (2-lock) tripod for use here at home in SG, with an expectation that I would not be travelling frequently (or even at all) in the next few years. Now it has already been a few years and I find myself on the road again :p It makes little sense to buy a tripod just for one trip a year or less, so I would not prefer to buy another one.

The tripod is 63cm folded with head removed, which is not a problem for carrying around locally, but it is for international flights, and it doesn't fit my bags.

Suggestions are most welcome :)

i throw it in luggage.

i have 2 tripods, one bigger one, one smaller one, the small one will fit into any size of luggage. the big one will fit into the luggage i use for london ;) so that's only used in singapore and london.

don't think you can hand carry a 63 cm tripod, i have never tried somethign like that before, but you can try your luck. the thing is, you might have trouble fitting it overhead.

Cool, thanks! I don't think they'd let me get away with a 63cm tripod, already last time I flew I kena ngeow that my Domke carry on was overweight. (they actually weighed my CARRY-ON!)

Also, what travel tripod are you using?

Hello, sloth.
With a 63cm w/o head, chances are it is better to check it in with your luggage.
Don't really need to buy another new tripod, I feel.
Give your this old one a chance first.

is it alrite if put at a tripod holder along w/ the backpack?

Cool, thanks! I don't think they'd let me get away with a 63cm tripod, already last time I flew I kena ngeow that my Domke carry on was overweight. (they actually weighed my CARRY-ON!)

Also, what travel tripod are you using?

manfrotto 725b i think.. folded is 52cm, just making it.

how come you got your hand carry weighed? i have been on budget airlines, even they don't weigh my hand carry :)

Your tripod must be in a bag and not exposed, else will be considered as a weapon.

I guess it is not impossible.
But like what was discussed in a thread not long ago, some airports specifically do not permit hand-carry tripods.

does tht list include cathay pacific or thai airways?

does tht list include cathay pacific or thai airways?

Mmm... not the airline. But the airport. I remember something like Nagoya airport...

Edited: Sorry, my mistake. It's not Nagoya (slip of my brain). It's Narita ariport.
Check out this link:
Tripod in airport

Last edited:
I chuck my tripod in the luggage. Its just around 58cm or less. So if you are travelling on budget airlines with no baggage checking in, I suggest you check with them 1st. ;)

Edited: Sorry, my mistake. It's not Nagoya (slip of my brain). It's Narita ariport.
Your brain slipped? Man, that's dangerous. Better stop using those cheap coconut hair oil. Haha ;p

I dont understand why so many people want to carry tripods on plane? why cannot check in?:dunno: I always check in my tripod. Somemore i'm using a backpack not a hard case luggage.

I dont understand why so many people want to carry tripods on plane? why cannot check in?:dunno: I always check in my tripod. Somemore i'm using a backpack not a hard case luggage.

their luggage bag small?

Their luggage bag smaller than their hand carry? :think:

aiyoh, i'm asking whether their luggage bags are small.

cause if we carry small luggage bags, how are we gng to squeeze the tripod in?

is it? i have no problem hand carry my tripod to the plane, but of cos it will be best to check with the check-in counter.

Their luggage bag smaller than their hand carry? :think:

Hand carry as in literally carry by hand. Not inside bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.