Carrying 2 bodies simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have experience shooting with 2 bodies at once? I'm finding it quite troublesome to change lenses while shooting events and I've definitely missed a fair share of shots doing so.

I've thought up several combinations to use but mainly they will be the 12-24/4 or 17-55/2.8 paired with a 70-200/2.8 on the other body. But I'm concerned about the clumsiness of slinging 2 bodies around. I imagine this issue will be further amplified indoors as both bodies need to have SB-800s + diffusers on them.

I currently use a single Nikon D200 body without a backup but I'm trying to keep equipment failure out of the equation. I need to be able to continue shooting even if something fails to function.

Are there any strategies to slinging the 2nd body or is there some innovative strap system to make it less clumsy? Input would be greatly appreciated.

Sling one higher than the other, so that one rests on top of the other :) Or you could sling one to the left, and one to the right, or one in front and one behind.

Yeah, seen a photographer using 2x D200 bodies, 1 with 18-70DX and SB800, the other with 50mm 1.8 only. You can sling one on your left/right shoulder, the other in the hand.

I personally have tried carrying a F80 with a 16mm FE, and a D2H with 18-70 and SB800. The only problem I had was when I had to squat down. I've have to hold up the camera that being sling, else it'll hit the ground.

if you're doing commercial, sling one to the left side of your body, depending whether you're left or right handed of course. then handheld the other one if you wish. =)

Yeah, seen a photographer using 2x D200 bodies, 1 with 18-70DX and SB800, the other with 50mm 1.8 only. You can sling one on your left/right shoulder, the other in the hand.

I personally have tried carrying a F80 with a 16mm FE, and a D2H with 18-70 and SB800. The only problem I had was when I had to squat down. I've have to hold up the camera that being sling, else it'll hit the ground.
When i carry 2 body, i use a camera bag which slung across your shoulder. Put one in it and one holding it. This way when you squat, it won,t hit the ground. When you change just get one out and put one into the bag. To be quick, don't zip the bag and don't worry the camera won't fall off. And nobody think you are a show off with two bodies.

Wow. How long are your straps? I've never had my body touch the ground even when I squat.

Anyway placing it in the bag takes too much time. Slinging both is much more practical. Uh... Why would people think you are showing off? You're there to do your job are you not?

Thanks guys. Nice to see that it can be done without impairing movement too much. The battery grip is really helpful on the 2nd body to prevent the lens from flopping over. I would guess a 2-body setup would get tight in close quarters but thankfully most events have lots of space so it shouldn't be a problem.

I was thinking.. is there a product like a vest that could lock in the camera strap for the 2nd body securely? Slinging it on my left shoulder seems kind of precarious, but that said I've seen some photographers sling their camera like this.

I recall seeing a combat webbing style kit... With that you can use a carabiner to clip your camera strap to the D-ring.

Alternatively lengthen your straps to the max and cross-sling it. That way you won't have to worry about it slipping off your shoulder?

You guys are strong ! I always had a hard time even with just a single D200/MBD200 and just one of any of the Trinity zoom lenses (which are considered as heavy ones), + SB800 etc. accessories, ok in the 1st 5 - 10 minutes and then subsequently feeling the weight. It came to the point that I got myself a Lowepro rolling bag ... not ideal for fast shooting, but a great relief ...

"2x D200 bodies, 1 with 18-70DX and SB800, the other with 50mm 1.8 only"

- this one should be better ... so I guess the lenses selected will be the determining straw that will break the camel's back :)

I have done 3 camera b4 in an event,
Using Canon System
Left Sling - 20d with 10-22mm/16-35mm
Right Sling - 30d with 70-200mm IS

Cross Sling across the back - 30d with 300mm2.8IS

All of them with Battery Pack!

It is quite easy to use....

It will have less changes etc. So less likely to give error frm lens changes...

Does anyone here have experience shooting with 2 bodies at once? I'm finding it quite troublesome to change lenses while shooting events and I've definitely missed a fair share of shots doing so.

I've thought up several combinations to use but mainly they will be the 12-24/4 or 17-55/2.8 paired with a 70-200/2.8 on the other body. But I'm concerned about the clumsiness of slinging 2 bodies around. I imagine this issue will be further amplified indoors as both bodies need to have SB-800s + diffusers on them.

I currently use a single Nikon D200 body without a backup but I'm trying to keep equipment failure out of the equation. I need to be able to continue shooting even if something fails to function.

Are there any strategies to slinging the 2nd body or is there some innovative strap system to make it less clumsy? Input would be greatly appreciated.

Why would you need to do that? When I know what I need to shoot, for example a wedding, it would probably a 12-24 on one body and a 17-55 on the other. Sometimes, a Micro 60mm/2.8 or a 50/1.4 on a third body.

For events where you need the entire range, for example, reportage, you might be better off with a 18-200VR on a single body because you probably won't need to blow the outputs very big anyway.

I would not want to carry a 2nd body with a 70-200 unless it's absolutely necessary because it will definitely restrict your movement.

Use Lowepro's Slingshot series, then you can "baby-carry" your spare camera. Ease of loading and unloading too.

You guys are strong ! I always had a hard time even with just a single D200/MBD200 and just one of any of the Trinity zoom lenses (which are considered as heavy ones), + SB800 etc. accessories, ok in the 1st 5 - 10 minutes and then subsequently feeling the weight. It came to the point that I got myself a Lowepro rolling bag ... not ideal for fast shooting, but a great relief ...

"2x D200 bodies, 1 with 18-70DX and SB800, the other with 50mm 1.8 only"

- this one should be better ... so I guess the lenses selected will be the determining straw that will break the camel's back :)

Hear hear. after one whole day - even one D200 and 18-200 will feel heavy to me.. :)

I'm going to setup a Lowepro belt + lens case system for now to facilitate the fast changing of lenses with one body. It gets a bit hard to manage when each camera needs to have it's own SB-800 + diffuser (most events I do are indoors). The cost is painful too considering it could be spent on better glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.