Carry two DSLRs, what combination?

LBL2009

Jul 9, 2009
Seletar Estate, Singapore
If you carry two DSLRs for shooting to avoid changing lenses, one DSLR is an entry level 6mp camera and the other a higher level 12mp camera. The lenses are 18-55mm and 55-200mm. What would be the preferred combination?

6mp DSLR + 18-55mm lens
12mp DSLR + 55-200mm lens

or

6mp DSLR + 55-200mm lens
12mp DSLR + 18-55mm lens

Last edited:
id just suggest getting a 18-200 really.

Doesn't matter, really.

Not much difference. All in one 18-200/250/270mm are actually not expensive and have decent IQ.

Unless it's a full frame and a crop

correct. u only see major difference (in terms of focal length + FOV) if u using one FF and one crop.

if both 6mp and 12mp is a crop body... unless you pixel peep into the photos, i dun see both got any difference.

like others said, u are better off using one cam and 18-200 so you dun need to switch lens.

There is no difference really.

If you need to crop, using the 12 Mp can possibly retain more detail.

If given only these 2 choices, my preferred choice will be:

6mp DSLR + 55-200mm lens
12mp DSLR + 18-55mm lens

Reason is that that changes of cropping will be higher when using the 18-55mm lens.

I might prolly use this combi :

camera body (doesnt matter) with 30mm 1.4 or 50mm
+
camera body (doesnt matter too) with a 18-200mm.

I would spend the money on a faster lens instead of buying another camera. If it is going to be a camera, then it ought to be a potential master grade D700 fx camera.

Last edited:
i second this... haha! why carry 2 cams if the range can be covered by 1 cam with an 18-200mm lens.
why dun just learn how to change lenses fast?:think:
i dunno but 6mp the resolution is way much smaller right?

why dun just learn how to change lenses fast?:think:
i dunno but 6mp the resolution is way much smaller right?

It is not speed but the trouble of changing lenses when walking about shooting.

Yes, there are constraints with a 6mp D40 in post processing cropping, always need to think composition before pressing the shutter release. Narrow dynamic range is another factor, it limits how much I can save the highlight without underexposing shadow in a high contrast situation.

If you carry two DSLRs for shooting to avoid changing lenses, one DSLR is an entry level 6mp camera and the other a higher level 12mp camera. The lenses are 18-55mm and 55-200mm. What would be the preferred combination?

6mp DSLR + 18-55mm lens
12mp DSLR + 55-200mm lens

or

6mp DSLR + 55-200mm lens
12mp DSLR + 18-55mm lens

This is the best one i've read so far. I thought i'm crazy enough to carry two film cameras on my trips. One for black and white and one for colour! :thumbsup: