Carry-in baggage scanners at airports are safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee Hedge

Mar 23, 2004
Singapore
www.thegaleria.com
Hi guys and gals,

Thanks for those who helped in in this thread:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=80316

Just came back from my Tokyo biz trip and I guess it's my turn to share some notes with all of u.

Both Changi and Narita are using film-safe scanners (only for carry-in). In fact, at Narita, it was clearly stated that the scanner is save up to ISO 1000.

However, just to be doubly sure, I came accross this at a little photoshop in Tokyo and decided to get it (see pic below). Not too sure if they have it in SG.

case_242058_l.jpg

Have you actually developed your negatives and seen the results? What films did you bring through the X-ray? Please share your findings, thanks.

LKSC said:
Have you actually developed your negatives and seen the results? What films did you bring through the X-ray? Please share your findings, thanks.

Developing..... D-Day on this coming Wed.

Bee Hedge said:
Hi guys and gals,

However, just to be doubly sure, I came accross this at a little photoshop in Tokyo and decided to get it (see pic below). Not too sure if they have it in SG.

Yes they do, although not the exact same brand. I have 2 of these in fact. The problem is that when this little baggie passes through the X-rays, the operators can't see through them, so they might ask you to take it out and show them the contents physically. Happened to me once.

chriszzz said:
Yes they do, although not the exact same brand. I have 2 of these in fact. The problem is that when this little baggie passes through the X-rays, the operators can't see through them, so they might ask you to take it out and show them the contents physically. Happened to me once.

Yup, that's what happened to me. But no probs. U just hafta open your bag and show them that there are only films and nothing else but films :)

I think that most x-rays are safe to ISO 1600 film.

But remember that your film will be passing through the machines at least twice or more.

If you travel regularly and don't finish your film (which is the case with me) your film will be getting multiple doses, which may finally add up.

What would do is to request hand inspection, and i always carry a leadlined bag in case they don't allow it. So far even the philippine airport staff respected my request for hand inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.