'carrot' discussions- for those who do not know market pricing

tapout2me

Nov 28, 2010
Just bought a filter n not sure if I'm 'chopped' like a carrot. Instead of starting a new thread for my own questions, thought I'll start this thread for all CSers particularly newbies to seek the seniors advice on whether we over paid for our purchases if the info is not readily available in CS :)

Well, bought a Hoya UV-CPL 58mm ( no model number or anything, just says HRT) at CP earlier, price tag was $72 but they happily gave me $59 without me haggling... So my question is: did I just get a good deal or was I chopped blindly due to my ignorance? :dunno:

the price tag you saw is the list price, recommended retail price, price that suggested by the agent to all the resellers.
what they (Cathay Photos) offer you is the street price.

technically if they sell you at the list price or recommended retail price, you are not consider "carrot". cos the shops are earning a profit than they entitled, you can't fault them.

ONLY when a shop sell you a unknown filter that price even higher than a B+W filter, than that really consider "chopping carrot".

the price tag you saw is the list price, recommended retail price, price that suggested by the agent to all the resellers.
what they (Cathay Photos) offer you is the street price.

technically if they sell you at the list price or recommended retail price, you are not consider "carrot". cos the shops are earning a profit than they entitled, you can't fault them.

ONLY when a shop sell you a unknown filter that price even higher than a B+W filter, than that really consider "chopping carrot".

Glad to hear tht bro... But since there is no pricing available in the forum, I cam safely assume CP gave me a good discount ya? Hahaha :)

Oh and one more thing, it's a hoya but it says behind the box 'made in japan by tokina'.. Hoya is subsidiary of Tokina?

CP usually give 20% discount for Hoya filters (if I recall correctly as I bought long time back), as nowadays I am using B+W.

CP usually give 20% discount for Hoya filters (if I recall correctly as I bought long time back), as nowadays I am using B+W.

One day... I hope I'll own a b+w too! Haha, still noob so go for DD123's guidance in his thread, buy 'Japanese cars' first :bsmilie: