Carnival

Weilun537

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
Hi guys. Really enjoyed the comments from the last post. Would like to post another photo for your comments. Kindly advise me on my composition and techniques, and let me know how I can improve :)

I have chosen to shoot this at f22, ISO100 and shutter speed of 15secs in order to capture as much of the ship during its movement as possible, and to reduce noise (advice taken from the last post). The slow shutter speed allowed me to capture the path of the lights under the ship.

The path of the lights was what I wanted to capture and I think it turned out the way I wanted it to. However, I not sure if compositionally this photo works. This photo was taken at night on a tripod to reduce movement blur from a handheld position.

Once again, feel free to bombard me with your comments. The more the merrier. :D

12283767686_01d3e9c7c0_c.jpg

If the exercise is to capture light trails you have succeeded.Composition wise it's fine.
You might like to freeze the ship as well and you do this by using rear sync flash but I don't know if the flash is powerful enough.Choose 2nd curtain but don't use it in portraits as people tend to blink. Below is the how to:

http://www.exposureguide.com/slow-sync-flash.htm

http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/3327/21-outstanding-examples-of-rear-curtain-flash/

Thanks for the added info. I have taken a quick look at the links and I take it that you mean to show the light trails while showing the ship frozen in action somewhere between the trails? Will definitely look into it and study more!

i like the colours and lights here, but find the bottom too cluttered. suggest a slightly tighter framing/crop to simplify the image further.
12304138516_5f1980f879_o.jpg

Hmm ok. Now that you mention it. Yes. Although I was already quite low on the floor short of proning on the ground. Haha perhaps from the other side of the Viking ship would have produced that result.

Beautiful! Almost looks like a rainbow

12304138516_5f1980f879_o.jpg

It's a great image really, wow! Well done!

If you are all right with turning it into a vibrant and abstract shot, consider this :):

$lights2.jpg