Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85 F1.4 field report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still feel they shouldnt have discontinued the Minolta 85mm f1.4... At least it is more affordable for the average photographer. Maybe they know it would create direct competition with the Carl Zeiss, even though they are very different lens with very different prices...

Seriously speaking... I think Minolta 85mm f1.4 G is slightly better as it is not as contrasty as Zeiss counterpart. I am not trying to defend for minolta 85mm, but I tried the lens in BH while I was in NY. It looks great for low contrast images but far too "harsh" for high contrast image.

I have been using Minolta 85mm f1.4 G for a long time, and truthfully, it is one of the most used lens (Minolta 28mm f2 is now replacing Sigma 28mm f1.8 as for 2nd most used lens). I often find the lens a little too sharp for portrait... I often add in a little "blur" on photoshop stage for portrait (to appear more realistic feel).

They are not far different, and yes, Zeiss 85 might have higher resolution... but time will tell when the higher MP DSLR from Sony is release... for now, I think the restricting factor for Minolta 85mm f1.4 G is the sensor resolution (12MP low noise Sensor will be nice). For now, on a 6MP DSLR (7D) I can't see any different between the 2 interms of quality goes.

Did test a few lenses while I was in BH, but walk out without buying any... I do feel surprise myself... even my wife was surprise!! :bsmilie:

If you already have Minolta 85mm f1.4 G, don't worry about buying the Zeiss unless u have thick wallet full of $$$.

Be happy.. keep shooting.

Hart

Seriously speaking... I think Minolta 85mm f1.4 G is slightly better as it is not as contrasty as Zeiss counterpart. I am not trying to defend for minolta 85mm, but I tried the lens in BH while I was in NY. It looks great for low contrast images but far too "harsh" for high contrast image.

I have been using Minolta 85mm f1.4 G for a long time, and truthfully, it is one of the most used lens (Minolta 28mm f2 is now replacing Sigma 28mm f1.8 as for 2nd most used lens). I often find the lens a little too sharp for portrait... I often add in a little "blur" on photoshop stage for portrait (to appear more realistic feel).

They are not far different, and yes, Zeiss 85 might have higher resolution... but time will tell when the higher MP DSLR from Sony is release... for now, I think the restricting factor for Minolta 85mm f1.4 G is the sensor resolution (12MP low noise Sensor will be nice). For now, on a 6MP DSLR (7D) I can't see any different between the 2 interms of quality goes.

Did test a few lenses while I was in BH, but walk out without buying any... I do feel surprise myself... even my wife was surprise!! :bsmilie:

If you already have Minolta 85mm f1.4 G, don't worry about buying the Zeiss unless u have thick wallet full of $$$.

Be happy.. keep shooting.

Hart

i think it could be just extra branding, coating by CZ ?

I don't think so.. the lens group is different from Minolta version and yes the coating T* is a very different from Minolta version.

It is a true CZ lens.

Regards,

Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.