Carl Zeiss Jena Zoom for Minolta 7D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agetan

Dec 31, 2004
www.tomato.sg
Hi Guys...

My latest toy... well, not mine, but got to play with it before offload to eBay.

61084974.jpg

61084975.jpg

61084971.jpg

61084970.jpg

Sample picture to follow...

It is an AF lens, but for some reason, the AF doesn't work on my 7D.

Hart

Got any sample images? Does the metering work?

Are Carl Zeiss Jena lens really as good as most claim? Any photos taken with it?

nah ...
its made by sigma , re-labelled as car zeiss jena .. it was a collaboration of carl zeiss jena and sigma.. Most jena zoom are made in japan. Sigma old lens good a not ?? beside from the 24mm f2.8 or 50mm f2.8 macro , i never heard anyone compliment their old zoom lens before

You will be the judge for its sharpness and bokeh

61117852.jpg

61117853.jpg

61117854.jpg

61117855.jpg

Most shoot at f5.6 (wide open) and f8.

I think it is pretty darn sharp!!! it sure a keeper if I don't have that many lenses.... Will be off to eBay soon.

1 complaint about the lens though, it is prone to flare.

Hart

smtan24 said:
Got any sample images? Does the metering work?

Everything work except for AF focussing.

It feels like the old 28-135mm from minolta. Its darn heavy.

Hart

radi9red said:
nah ...
its made by sigma , re-labelled as car zeiss jena .. it was a collaboration of carl zeiss jena and sigma.. Most jena zoom are made in japan. Sigma old lens good a not ?? beside from the 24mm f2.8 or 50mm f2.8 macro , i never heard anyone compliment their old zoom lens before

Hahaha... I probably the first to compliment CZJ zoom if your statement is correct Bro... :bsmilie:

Be positive man!!

Hart

Sharpness is excellent, bokeh is poor... and the colour is pretty dull...;)

are you sure colour is pretty dull?

Check your monitor calibration.... looks pretty vibrant to me..

Hart

This lens is made by sigma under carl zeiss jena label, thus not the usual carl zeiss quality. Carl Zeiss Jena does make some super zoom lens very sharp and good colour. They are label Vario Pancolar or Vario Sonnar. Very rare and expensive, one mint condition can go as high as US$450:bigeyes: I seen the results from these lenes only for a few time by a foreign photographer friend.:embrass: So I can't show any here.

Hart, the colours are very vibrant on my monitor for the pics in the pano stitching thread...

singscott said:
This lens is made by sigma under carl zeiss jena label, thus not the usual carl zeiss quality. Carl Zeiss Jena does make some super zoom lens very sharp and good colour. They are label Vario Pancolar or Vario Sonnar. Very rare and expensive, one mint condition can go as high as US$450:bigeyes: I seen the results from these lenes only for a few time by a foreign photographer friend.:embrass: So I can't show any here.

nod yes thats right.. the sigma made zeiss are a vast huge difference from the actual japan made or german made Carl Zeiss..

TME said:
Sharpness is excellent, bokeh is poor... and the colour is pretty dull...;)

Sharpness, bokeh and colour/contrast all looks good to me... The pano-stitch thread didnt look as vibrant to me.

Nice, sharp and vibrant.

But is it the cat's natural colour of being blue or is the blue too saturated for my liking? :think:

jsbn said:
Nice, sharp and vibrant.

But is it the cat's natural colour of being blue or is the blue too saturated for my liking? :think:

I think its a sky reflection and wrong white balance (I use AWB this time). Remember Sky in Australia is very very blue... and most days without a single cloud. So some pictures, especially white colour subject turn out a little on blue side.

Hart

the patches of grass in the sunlight look fine. maybe the cat looks blue because it is in the shade, so two different colour temperatures, like a mixed lighting situation, can't get both sunny and shady right at same time?

that's quite right too...

Its my fault though.. hehe..

Hart

Actually, anybody want this lens before I sell it on eBay. My mother in law will be back in Singapore tomorrow.

The price tag is S$400 for CS... it will be A$400 in eBay OZ.

Let me know soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.