Carl Zeiss Jena Zoom for Minolta 7D


Status
Not open for further replies.

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,658
16
38
www.tomato.sg
Hi Guys...

My latest toy... well, not mine, but got to play with it before offload to eBay.









Sample picture to follow...

It is an AF lens, but for some reason, the AF doesn't work on my 7D.

Hart
 

smtan24

New Member
Dec 21, 2005
1,496
0
0
46
Tampines
Got any sample images? Does the metering work?
 

zcf

Senior Member
Apr 10, 2005
6,741
0
36
270 degree of Singapore
Are Carl Zeiss Jena lens really as good as most claim? Any photos taken with it?
 

radi9red

Senior Member
Jun 25, 2003
932
0
16
Visit site
nah ...
its made by sigma , re-labelled as car zeiss jena .. it was a collaboration of carl zeiss jena and sigma.. Most jena zoom are made in japan. Sigma old lens good a not ?? beside from the 24mm f2.8 or 50mm f2.8 macro , i never heard anyone compliment their old zoom lens before
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,658
16
38
www.tomato.sg
You will be the judge for its sharpness and bokeh









Most shoot at f5.6 (wide open) and f8.

I think it is pretty darn sharp!!! it sure a keeper if I don't have that many lenses.... Will be off to eBay soon.

1 complaint about the lens though, it is prone to flare.

Hart
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,658
16
38
www.tomato.sg
smtan24 said:
Got any sample images? Does the metering work?

Everything work except for AF focussing.

It feels like the old 28-135mm from minolta. Its darn heavy.

Hart
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,658
16
38
www.tomato.sg
radi9red said:
nah ...
its made by sigma , re-labelled as car zeiss jena .. it was a collaboration of carl zeiss jena and sigma.. Most jena zoom are made in japan. Sigma old lens good a not ?? beside from the 24mm f2.8 or 50mm f2.8 macro , i never heard anyone compliment their old zoom lens before

Hahaha... I probably the first to compliment CZJ zoom if your statement is correct Bro... :bsmilie:

Be positive man!!

Hart
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,579
0
0
43
Clementi
Sharpness is excellent, bokeh is poor... and the colour is pretty dull...;)
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,658
16
38
www.tomato.sg
are you sure colour is pretty dull?

Check your monitor calibration.... looks pretty vibrant to me..

Hart
 

singscott

Senior Member
Aug 25, 2004
1,847
0
36
www.whltelightphotographer.com
This lens is made by sigma under carl zeiss jena label, thus not the usual carl zeiss quality. Carl Zeiss Jena does make some super zoom lens very sharp and good colour. They are label Vario Pancolar or Vario Sonnar. Very rare and expensive, one mint condition can go as high as US$450:bigeyes: I seen the results from these lenes only for a few time by a foreign photographer friend.:embrass: So I can't show any here.
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,579
0
0
43
Clementi
Hart, the colours are very vibrant on my monitor for the pics in the pano stitching thread...
 

radi9red

Senior Member
Jun 25, 2003
932
0
16
Visit site
singscott said:
This lens is made by sigma under carl zeiss jena label, thus not the usual carl zeiss quality. Carl Zeiss Jena does make some super zoom lens very sharp and good colour. They are label Vario Pancolar or Vario Sonnar. Very rare and expensive, one mint condition can go as high as US$450:bigeyes: I seen the results from these lenes only for a few time by a foreign photographer friend.:embrass: So I can't show any here.
nod yes thats right.. the sigma made zeiss are a vast huge difference from the actual japan made or german made Carl Zeiss..
 

grado

New Member
Dec 28, 2003
947
0
0
TME said:
Sharpness is excellent, bokeh is poor... and the colour is pretty dull...;)
Sharpness, bokeh and colour/contrast all looks good to me... The pano-stitch thread didnt look as vibrant to me.
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
Nice, sharp and vibrant.

But is it the cat's natural colour of being blue or is the blue too saturated for my liking? :think:
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,658
16
38
www.tomato.sg
jsbn said:
Nice, sharp and vibrant.

But is it the cat's natural colour of being blue or is the blue too saturated for my liking? :think:
I think its a sky reflection and wrong white balance (I use AWB this time). Remember Sky in Australia is very very blue... and most days without a single cloud. So some pictures, especially white colour subject turn out a little on blue side.

Hart
 

pai

New Member
Nov 24, 2004
1,699
0
0
Lala Land
www.flickr.com
the patches of grass in the sunlight look fine. maybe the cat looks blue because it is in the shade, so two different colour temperatures, like a mixed lighting situation, can't get both sunny and shady right at same time?
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,658
16
38
www.tomato.sg
that's quite right too...

Its my fault though.. hehe..

Hart
 

Agetan

Senior Member
Dec 31, 2004
4,658
16
38
www.tomato.sg
Actually, anybody want this lens before I sell it on eBay. My mother in law will be back in Singapore tomorrow.

The price tag is S$400 for CS... it will be A$400 in eBay OZ.

Let me know soon...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.