careful while buying 2nd hand products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
Recently bought a 2nd hand D100 from buy and sell.

Test on the spot ok. 2 days later go for actual shoot, after taking a few images, it reads err, or simply the no of images left for shoot just disappear, it does not record in. Sms the person, he reply, cos i say will report to police for intention to cheat. He response fast, and say will call me last nite.

He never call, and i call him twice today, never pick up. I PM him, never respond.

I will let this post run a few days, and if he still wanna hide, i will made sure the next person who call him will be the police. I got your H/P no, you can hide, but you can't run away.

By the way, he is from china. I will name him here at tuesday, if he still wanna hide.

It's not money issue here, but i just hate this sort of ppl out to cheat.

YOU HAVE MESS WITH THE WRONG PERSON, AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU PAY.

Don't say i don't give you chance.

but i read here tt some got 2 nic? liddat how? :dunno:

thats the risk to take loh, must be very cheap when u brought it?

commercial transaction. cavaet emptor. police has no jurisdiction over such cases. unless you can prove intent to cheat.

if man enough, come up here and clear this issue. I will make it transparent. If my fault, i will admit.

When i say you give me 1 week warranty for technical fault, you agreed.

i bought it at $970.

it does not ruin any shoot, just need to off the camera, and on it again.

but the problem exist after 10 shoots like that. That day, i off and on it a couple of times.

it still can shoot, but i will not take any chance.

test it today again, taking 30 shoots without err.

i will bring down to shiro, see what can they do.

catchlights said:
so you perfer to reture the camera?

nah, i wanna keep it leh, so at least i expect the selling person to pay for the repair service.

Sorry to hear that. But without any proof, it's hard to take any legal action against the person.

i hope that all ppl buying things, please prepare some documents for the selling parties to sign.

Sad to hear dat bro. :(

Dun say cavaet emptor, at least when u sell something, u dun sell it for all the wrong reasons. Be man enuff and at least give 7 dayz personal warranty. U trust the fella wun do funny thingz, the fella trust u din do funny thingz.

After dat 7 dayz if nothing happens, all happy, den everything is over.

But den again, dats me. I sell cos I wanna upgrade not becos something is wrong den sell. Its outrageous. But den again there are ppl doing dat spoiling the damn market... :mad: Shoot them! ARGH....

smurfman said:
i hope that all ppl buying things, please prepare some documents for the selling parties to sign.

it can work like a double edged sword. :devil:

d seller must b v gd at law related stuff. otherwise even an honest seller will get into trouble w/ d law.

i have buy afew things here already, and i always say, i will not return for refund if i don't like it, i am not that sort of person. What i concern is technical issue.

There are always some 'bird people' out there who see their stuff going to kick the bucket liao and den quickly sell.

And to them, "I sold liao, its ur Par Sar now. Not mine."

I guess everyone of us ought to act responsibly where stuff like these are concerned.

unfortunately, you cannot realistically expect others to be like you in this respect.

smurfman said:
i have buy afew things here already, and i always say, i will not return for refund if i don't like it, i am not that sort of person. What i concern is technical issue.

things like this are very hard to judge. What if u dropped it spoilt it and then decide to blame on the seller for selling a faulty product? it could work both ways so stop trying to sound like some bad tempered mobster.

i had a buyer who claimed that an accessory which was part of a product that i sold him wasn't working cuz the battery couldnt fit. it turned out that he used AA batteries instead of AAA. Tested it and it worked fine. At the end of the day i got stuck for an fully working accessory which was part of a set of products and had to refund him the value of the accessory. The sad part was that i sold him at a discounted price if taken as a set. Anyway only God will know his true intentions.

i sympathise with u....i know how nerve wrecking it can be to have a piece of equipment that u treasure spoil.... 2 of go and settle this amicably lah... Call again and again.... Hope it gets settled soon. good luck...

You see the thing is it's very hard to prove who's fault the damage to the product is. As such, the police can't do diddly squat unless you have some form of documentation or proof.
The seller can easily claim that you spoilt it and it was working fine when you bought it, which actually does stand to sound judgement in some sense as people usually test and will not buy if it's not ok. You can't prove him wrong, based on the info. you've given us. You basically don't really have a case, as unfortunate as that is. He probably didn't reply to you because he consulted someone and they told him that he's in the clear.

The best you can do is repair it so you don't waste the 970 you've already spent on it.

once bought a lens. the seller brought laptop etc and insist i tested it before buying. when ask for 1 week personal warranty he insisted i test the lens and will not give me the the warranty. i tested it. it seems ok until i went home. tested the lens again and realise that at near minimum focusing at aperture 2.8 the lens back focus everytime. called him and he said the lens was ok but will refund 150 to my bank account so that i can have it fixed. i got it fixed. thing is....the whole episode sounded mre like he knew the problem and just didnt wanna say it but get rid of his lens. lucky for me he is honest enough to at least give a little refund to soften the situation.

another case was some studio lights i tested, worked. got home the next day refuse to work already. fella refunded me full and apologised for wasting my time:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thing about camera these days is they are likle computers. it can be ok today and die tomoro. you never know. once read this in a 2nd shop ' sell cheap you say spoilt, sell high you say expensive. what price do you want?'

buy cheap, take risk, buy expensive, get warranty

to add, on both occasions, the price was lower than market expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.